Stuffed Bananas Recipe.
Bananas in Indian cooking
Banana is one of the most liked fruit in whole of world. It is easily available and very cheap all over the world. It is full of carbohydrates as it is generally thought but it is also full of minerals, fibers, vitamins and is very tasty and healthy. Banana is used in cooking both raw and ripe. Raw banana is used as a binding agent in many recipes as also as main ingredient while ripe banana is eaten as a fruit or is used in many recipes especially in fruit salads and ice creams. But what we are going to cook today is totally different recipe. It is popular in southern part of India, where banana is grown extensively. Also south India is famous for its spices so bananas are cooked with spices in many different ways in south India and every dish has its own flavor and taste. Many dishes of banana are made with lots of red chilies but the taste of chili is mellowed with extensive use of coconut milk and tamarind juice. Unripe bananas are green in colour and are easily available all over world. If you can not find green bananas then you can go to any Indian grocery store and get it.
1. Green / unripe bananas: 4
2. Olive oil: 90 ml / 6 Tbsp.
3. Gram Flour: 1 Tbsp.
4. Fresh coriander / cilantro: 1 bunch.
5. Ground coriander: 2 Tbsp.
6. Ground Cumin: 1 Tbsp.
7. Cumin seeds: ¼ Tsp.
8. Ground turmeric: ¼ Tsp.
9. Red Chili powder: 1 Tsp.
10. Granulated Sugar: 1 Tsp.
11. Salt: ½ Tsp or according to taste.
Various steps of making Stuff bananas
1. Divide the coriander bunch in to two parts. One large and one small. Large for dish and small for garnishing
2. Now from the big bunch, cut off the roots and thick stems.
3. Chop coriander leaves finely.
4. Now trim the surface of the bananas.
5. Cut each banana in to three equal parts horizontally.
6. Now make a vertical slit on each banana part, making sure that you don’t cut all the way through the flesh of banana.
7. Keep aside.
8. Now take a plate.
9. On the plate mix all the spices like ground coriander, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, salt, sugar, chopped coriander, gram flour and 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of olive oil.
10. Mix all the spices well using your fingers. Make sure they combine well.
11. Now take this spice mixture and fill in each banana. Take care that you don’t split the banana portions in to two halves.
12. Take a heavy base pan and heat remaining olive oil.
13. Fry mustard seeds and cumin seeds for two minutes over medium heat.
14. Now when they begin to sputter, add bananas to this gently.
15. Now cover the pan and reduce the heat to low.
16. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring every two minutes.
17. Now bananas would be soft but make sure they are not mushy.
18. Garnish with coriander leaves from the small bunch.
19. Serve hot.
Nutritional facts per serving:
Energy: 265 Kcals.
Fat: 16.8 grams
Saturated Fats: 2.1 grams
Carbohydrates: 29.4 grams
Fiber: 1.3 grams
Does this dish look and sound tasty enough for you to try it?
More Recipes by me
- Kashmiri Chicken
Kashmir is the Northern Most part of India. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth. One poet said about Kashmir that if there is paradise on earth then it is here in Kashmir. Because of rich culture and history of Kashmir, it has developed it
- Chicken Do Piaza
Chicken Do Piaza goes back to Mughal era of India. How did this dish got his name no one knows but it is thought that Mulla Do Piaza ( a minister in court of Great emperor Akbar) invented it but this looks like a myth because Mulla Do piaza was not a
- Chicken Wrap
This can be used as a snack or as a lunch. Children like it very much and its ingredients are very easily available and it is very easy to make. It is light on stomach, less on calories and high on taste and health. A must for any woman with young ch
- Asian Whole Chicken Soup Recipes
This is another wonderful chicken soup. Tasty to eat. easy to make, pleasing to serve,healthy and light on stomach. Kids love it. Try it out.
- Butter Chicken
Butter chicken and Tandoori Chicken was invented Kundan Lal Gujral in 1920 by just before the independence of India from British. They soon got very popular and right now one of the most popular of all Indian Chicken dishes. The inventor migrated to
- Mattar Paneer
Mattar ( peas) paneer ( Indian cottage cheese) is a very tasty 100% vegetarian dish. Since most of Indians are strictly vegetarian and do not even eat eggs, so they have developed their own recipes for vegetables and this one is one of the tastiest o
- Louisiana Chicken
This chicken recipe as name suggest was first invented in state of Louisiana in United States of America. So this one is one of the very few dishes which can be called truly American dish. It is tastier than KFC original recipe (my opinion). Again it
- Chicken Egg Fried Rice
This recipe is for both kids and adults. It is very tasty dish, easy to cook and is liked by both children and adults. This recipe contains egg, chicken and rice which are all liked by everyone including children. This dish is especially for those mo
- Silky Chicken Kebabs
Kebabs have been favorite dish of Muslim Indian Royalty since long. They used to employ special cooks to make kebabs. It was said that if a cook is not Kebabs then he doesn’t know cooking at all. Kebabs are usually made from mutton ( lamb or goat mea