Getting kids to eat vegetables

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image84
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Do your kids eat vegetables and at what age did you introduce vegetables in their diet; was it difficult or easy to get them to eat veggies?   Do you 'hide' or disguise the veggies or serve it plain?

1. cvanthul profile image89
      cvanthulposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Per my mom's advice, when I started my son on baby food, I started with vegetables, then fruit, then meat.  The reasoning was he would have developed a healthy taste for vegetables by the time I introduced him to the sweetness in the fruit which, done in reverse, would have spoiled his taste for veggies.  It seems to have worked.  He eats the normal salad variety - lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers - as well as broccoli, beans, yellow squash, sweet peppers, and zucchini.  He'll eat eggplant also, as long as it's baked or fried.  Mushrooms and onions I have to hide in spaghetti sauce, lol.  He also has a healthy taste for fruit - apples, watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, kiwi (his favorite), any citrus fruit, bananas, grapes, strawberries, blackberries.

I agree the attitude towards the veggies has a lot to do with it, but not all of it.  My brother and I were raised on the exact same meals and he still loathes veggies.  I love them.  So it does sometimes come down simply to individual preferences, though I have to say that my brother will eat veggies knowing he needs to. 

My son and I, he's 8 now, we grow a garden every year and that gets him pretty excited about eating the veggies too.  He likes cultivating them and then tasting the difference between the store-bought and the fresh, though we do shop for ours at farmers markets and the like quite a bit.  One thing that has helped tremendously in the past year - when I divorced I stopped buying all the frozen and boxed stuff that ex-hubby liked so much.  I rarely use bottled spices or herbs either as we now have a nice herb garden.  The difference in taste from boxed to fresh is amazing though it DOES take a little getting used to.

Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your input here.  It's interesting that your brother doesn't like veggies at all, haha.  That's wonderful that your son is into growing his own vegetables!  I agree-fresh food is the way to go!  Good for you, mom. 

I think I can relate to the advice your mom gave-it does make sense.  Thanks for sharing.

2. profile image72
      grumpiornotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some might find this tasteless, but I laugh.
      What is the difference between broccoli and snot?
      You can't get kids to eat broccoli.

Yeah you can...I've witnessed BOTH many times over, lol

2. Denise Handlon profile image84
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

I did not have a problem getting my kids to eat vegetables because I served it as part of their whole meal, and I did not make a big deal about it.   They grew up eating stuff like broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, etc  without whimpering about it.   

What's been your experience?

3. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I don't have kids. But when I was a kid, I hated veggies. I did, however, love them in cheese sauce! I don't know how healthy that is, but it got me to eat them.

I still have issues eating them =X. Whenever I'm visiting my parents, they make me eat them, still...

Interesting that the cheese sauce you ate as a child you cannot as an adult due to the lactose intolerance.   

I remember those Green Giant broccoli with cheese sauce packages!

1. kathleenkat profile image83
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I miss being able to eat milk products, and well, all the junk food I could eat as a kid and not gain a pound. I remember those broccoli cheese bags, microwavable if I recall big_smile

Gee, I used to be as slim as a rail!   Way more active than I am now, not to mention the aging process.  My metabolism is WAY d
                                                                                                   o
                                                                                                        w
                                                                                                             n
                                                                                                                  !!!!

So, now if I just look at food I gain weight!    smile

4. TheMagician profile image86
    TheMagicianposted 11 years ago

I'm 19 and I still don't eat vegetables.
    Unless they're potatoes (starches) or corn (no nutritional value whatsoever).

I never understood the whole "growing out of being a picky eater" stage.
    Looks like I'm destined to live off mac and cheese & hot dogs for life.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha! My dad still eats that stuff and he's in his 50s. Did you know potatoes and corn are technically not veggies? tongue

1. TheMagician profile image86
        TheMagicianposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know corn wasn't! Wow, that's weird. Looks like I'm all out of vegetables to claim I do eat then D:

2. Denise Handlon profile image84

lol   Wow, TheMagician... do you like vegetables in other foods, say like a chicken pot pie?   Or a Shepards pie?   Maybe go back to Kathleenkat's trick of hiding them and disguising them like in Cheese sauce!

1. TheMagician profile image86
        TheMagicianposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope, can't even hide them... I mean unless it's like, a spaghetti sauce. That's it. I'm a super picky eater unfortunately. Which sucks, because going through the check-out lines and seeing all those food magazines; I love the colors and the foods look great, but goodness would I never touch 96% of what's in them with a 30ft fork lol

Rule of thumb: if it's got more than 3 syllables in the name, I'm not touchin' it =P

lol  That's funny.  I know what you mean about the appeal of the food mags. It gets me every time, and they are NOT cheap.  I usually thumb through them, and then tell myself I can get it in the library.  Once in awhile I'll come across a 'must have' and break down and buy it.

5. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 11 years ago

How we raise our kids with attitudes toward veggies makes a big difference.

Pretty much like you, Denise, I just gave my kids the veggies and fruits as part of our meals. Quincy's mom, as you know, was not only not a good cook but she rarely served them fresh veggies and fruits. To this day, he is a poor eater when it comes to anything more than potatoes and corn (although I have gotten him to eat more salads the past few years).

I must have done something right b/c one son is a vegetarian and the other has told me he misses his fresh fruit and veggies when he doesn't get them.

Great job, sis.   Emphasis on the 'in-law' NOT being a good cook, lol     Well, with your interest and devotion to your community garden it does not surprise me that you have one son who is a vegetarian.  smile

6. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

My son hated vegetables for the first ten years of his life. I used to make soups with vegetable's and then puree them so they didn't look vegetables. I'd use sweet vegetables like red pepper and carrots. He'd ask what they were made from and I'd say "allsorts" he'd eat the lot.

Very ingenious 'mom' Hollie.  smile   That's solving a problem that is for the best for your child.

7. Second Lives profile image60
    Second Livesposted 11 years ago

Mind it I am not joking, but vegetarian diet makes a person live longer lives, and look pretty.

I know you are probably absolutely right, Second LIves.   I know you aren't joking.   It's too bad our society has focused so much on 'MEAT'  !

8. Stacie L profile image85
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I like the idea of mixing them with fruits in a drink or shake or other recipes with meats for a stew, or soup.
    Attitude does have a big affect on their liking veggies or not.
    I can't be a vegetarian even though I know it's healthier for me.

Well, Stacie-I think that when you have a realization then it opens the door for all sorts of creative opportunities for eating healthy within your food tastes.   smile

9. Meg Davis profile image67
    Meg Davisposted 11 years ago

I have two boys and they couldn't be more different when it comes to eating.  My older boy loves veggies and is a very adventurous eater.  In fact he complained the other day that his school cafeteria never serves Thai food!  Haha!  the other one would be happy to exist solely on chicken nuggets and hotdogs.  I've done the same things with both of them in regards to food but they just are who they are.  Go figure.

smile  Yeah, go figure...Thai food!  Wow!

10. leahlefler profile image93
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

We always serve vegetables as part of our dinner - both of our boys eat broccoli, carrots, green beans, salad, etc. My older son cannot stand to have his vegetables cooked (he particularly hates cooked carrots), but he'll eat almost any vegetable "raw."

We've never made a big deal about it, and have offered them veggies from toddlerhood (and even as babies, in pureed form).

That seems to be the key-get them introduced to the food early.  smile

11. Novel Treasure profile image90
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

My kids actually do farely well eating vegetables and some of the other not so pleasant fruit like prunes. We introduced them early on as soon as they could start eating babyfood, so I guess around 6 months.

If I try a new vegetable that they have never had I just ask them to try a bite and if they don't like it I don't force them to eat them. But kids taste buds change over time, so don't be afraid to try it again or cooked a different way.

You make a great point that the little one's taste buds do change over time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)