Why do you prefer to juice your produce, rather than eat it as it is?

1. stephaniedas profile image91
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

Why do you prefer to juice your produce, rather than eat it as it is?

I know there are lots of reasons, I'm just curious as to your take on why you love juicing so much, and whether or not there are any health benefits to juicing vs. eating the produce as is. Cheers!

2. Tom Vogler profile image82
    Tom Voglerposted 6 years ago

I own a juicer and I enjoy fresh juice using it though I don't use it as often as I would like.  I am no scientist or nutritionist but one benefit that immediately comes to mind is that there is no added sugar, salt or preservative. 

For me it is also a tool that prevents waste.  If I have several apples or strawberries or citrus that have slightly dried up or look like they would be not so tasty, I juice them and often get delicious juice out of them. 

Another reason is that a store may lower the price on a fruit (or vegetable) so much and the price is so good that I buy more than I can possibly eat, so I juice that.

3. rsusan profile image74
    rsusanposted 6 years ago

Good question, stephaniedas. I do still eat fruits and vegetables as well, though! That remains important. I have been very ill for many years with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (you can read more about this in my profile). I often struggle to swallow solid food. While looking for other ways to get my daily quota of nutrients, I discovered juicing. For someone who is ill and may not always feel like eating, it is a really easy way to get enough vitamins, minerals and enzymes down. No heavy-duty chewing required!

In a sense the juice is almost like intravenous feeding for my body! It can be taken up immediately without a complicated digestive process being involved. So, for me in my circumstances, that saves energy.

Another huge benefit is that all the nutrients that normally remain trapped in the fiber of the produce, is extracted and made available to my body. That not only spells health benefits, but also gives me better value for money.

It would also take me ages to prepare and eat all the veggies I can quickly run through the juicer. In the end I am getting more in terms of quantity and variety.

Lastly, I simply love juice! I love the taste, love experimenting with different combinations and I always feel so GOOD after having a glass of juice!

working