jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)

Do you like Tilapia?

1. rob_allen profile image85
    rob_allenposted 6 years ago

Do you like Tilapia?

2. emkroberts profile image65
    emkrobertsposted 6 years ago

I do! But... I try to eat only wild caught fish and it is challenging to find Tilapia that is wild caught very many places.

3. Swetankraj profile image67
    Swetankrajposted 6 years ago

No! it taste me ugly and crappy!! I do love cichlid fish but it is not among them.

4. RGNestle profile image81
    RGNestleposted 6 years ago

Oh, my goodness! Yes. My wife makes a cornmeal breading and then fries up the filets and it tastes awesome!

I'm not the biggest fish fan in the world; I like cod, smelt, salmon, and trout, but Tilapia is simply amazing.

I was very surprised to find out that it's not only a Filipino fish, but it is found in other parts of the world--even in the Middle East. Apparently this tasty fish is found even in the Sea of Galilee.

Tilapia is the Tebow of fish. :^P

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I like it, it's replaced sole in my house.

6. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do.........................We eat it different times:)

7. hawkdad73 profile image67
    hawkdad73posted 6 years ago

I love tilapia.  It is the reason I started eating fish again (aside from fishsticks...can't avoid them with kids.)

8. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

No, it is tasteless, except for the flavours you put in, and it it's full of bones.  Not worth the bother.

9. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

Yes I do. In fact, I have a tilapia farm here in Brazil. We raise the Nile tilapia and sell locally to grocery stores, and restaurants.

I normally fry it but it is popular here to BBQ by splitting it open, and using rock salt and olive oil. The locals leave the scales on when they BBQ to seal in the moisture.

Because the temperature here is 86° year round we use the BBQ several times a week.

Great question.

10. jpcmc profile image90
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

Love it so much.  I love it fried, grilled, steamed.  It's one of the few types of fish that i eat.

11. imichelle profile image75
    imichelleposted 6 years ago

Love it!  It's so versatile as it picks up just about any flavor you add to it as its own flavor is so mild.

It's also the only fish my kids will eat, so bonus points there!

12. platinumOwl4 profile image76
    platinumOwl4posted 6 years ago

Funny you should ask this question.  I went to the local market were this product is sold, and I asked did it have bones. the customer service person said no. This was perfect for me I hate bones in fish. I went home and heated up the cast iron skillet and added some butter and olive oil and seasoned my Tilapia with garlic powdered black and red pepper,Kosher salt and dredged it in flour. placed in in the butter and olive oil and waited for that golden brown color telling me its done. The answer to you question is a resounding Yes.

13. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I love it and actually had it stewed for dinner last night. My only wish was that it was not farm raised. I prefer wild caught fish.

14. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Funny you should ask this question today.  I just opened my email and found a recipe from a food site I follow that uses one of my favorite flavors: raspberry, as a sauce for tilapia.  I was intrigued and saved the recipe.

Yes, I find tilapia to be a versatile fish with a capacity to entice even the most stubborn nonfish consumers.

15. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

I love it because it is so easy to cook and because it has very mild flavors, you can pair it with just about anything!

16. Brainy Bunny profile image95
    Brainy Bunnyposted 6 years ago

I'm not a big fan, but I eat it once in a while. My kids won't even go near it, although they like salmon, flounder, and mahi mahi.

17. Goody5 profile image73
    Goody5posted 6 years ago

It's the best tasting fish out there, especially when it's cooked over a wood fire.

18. theclevercat profile image94
    theclevercatposted 6 years ago

No, it tastes bland and flat to me. Even spiced up with salsa or Cajun styles don't appeal.  Plus, the color looks dingy.

19. perfectperception profile image60
    perfectperceptionposted 6 years ago

Yes, I absolutely love Tilapia!  I've been experimenting with various recipes and its has fast become my favorite