jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How healthy are veggie steamers,considering the added ingredients such as fruct

1. brakel2 profile image79
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

How healthy are veggie steamers,considering the added ingredients such as  fructose and sauces?

2. Brilqntin profile image75
    Brilqntinposted 6 years ago

What added ingredients? you can add whatever you want but ultimately, steaming your veggies is one (if not the) healthiest cooking method you can have your food prepared. No need to say how much better than frying it is but steaming the veggies keeps a lot of the nutrients in the food (not like other cooking methods).

Bottom line - steaming your veggies is the healthiest way to go - both low in calories and highly nutritious smile

3. Just_Rodney profile image81
    Just_Rodneyposted 6 years ago

I am from South Africa, and sometimes get myself confused, disorientated and discombobulated by various items we do not see on our supermarket shelves.
    I assume, that is what the question is about.
    My answer is if it has added (which, invariably means synthetic) ingredients, I would take it as not to healthy.
    If you are talking about using a cooking type of steamer to produce your veggies from, you only need water, these days only filtered water at that, and steam the veggies that way.
    Add your own salts, and seasonings, herbs and spices once you have them on your plate.
    A quick hint, do not throw away the water that you have collected from the base of the steamer, either drink it or use as part of the liquid content to make up your own, tasty sauce.

4. brakel2 profile image79
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

Veggie steamers are a prepared frozen ready to eat product that you place in the microwave for about five minutes. It  contains some synthetic ingredients.

5. WiseRabbit profile image82
    WiseRabbitposted 6 years ago

I personally have never used them and if I am not mistaken you are talking about the ones in the plastic bags, correct? Just the idea of putting a plastic bag in the microwave really bothers me because who knows what chemicals are coming out of the plastic. I also hate microwaves, I just think they kill everything good in whatever you put into them. I think the more you process foods the less beneficial they are. Produce is best if purchased from as local a market as possible and steaming is so easy, why do we need plastic bags?