jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why are kids fussy about food and how can you change them?

1. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Why are kids fussy about food and how can you change them?

What are the things that make children fussy with food? How much are they affected by marketing?

2. Catzgendron profile image71
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

Children are fussy for a variety of reasons, explore different ways of feeding them and introducing new foods to their diet. read more

3. profile image0
    Chasukposted 6 years ago

Often, _parents_ make their kids fussy with food. If Mom and Dad set a bad dietary example, the children will learn it. Insist -- firmly, but without threats -- that your children at least sample everything that is on their plate. When they are older, and have developed genuine likes and dislikes, then let them eat what they want, within reason. Teach them portion control (by word and example). Have a backbone. Good parenting is about giving your kids the skills necessary for their future happiness, and you can't do that without fortitude.

4. danajconnelly profile image69
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

I wrote a hub about this. Children can be fussy for a multitude of reasons but it's important to rule out any true oral motor issues or sensory issues.  Some children have weak muscle tone, making chewing and swallowing certain textures difficult.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I know of two things that contribute to fussiness:
    having a wide range of "choices" (like some school cafeterias having a half-dozen or more dishes on the menu);
    and giving them the option of saying "I don't like what's being served, so I'll go get something else." 

I don't believe kids should ever be forced to eat anything they truly hate, but the two above-mentioned examples encourage pickiness.