jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Which Foods Keep The Longest?

1. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

Which Foods Keep The Longest?

What foods have the longest shelf or storage life? What foods have the longest expiration dates?

2. Leroyworld profile image60
    Leroyworldposted 5 years ago

Interesting question.  Dried foods like rice and beans will last the longest.  I don't think of frozen foods as having a long shelf life because of all of the equipment needed to maintain the low temperatures.  I have not really considered the shelf life of foods because I try not to purchase more than I can eat in a week, except for flour, rice and beans.

3. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 5 years ago

White rice lasts forever (brown rice; not so long)!

And we've all heard twinkies can last several years :-p

4. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

In a dark, dry place wheat lasts almost indefinitely. Archaeologists dug up an Egyptian tomb, and in one of the jars they found wheat. When they tested it, some sprouted in the soil.

5. WitchesMIX profile image73
    WitchesMIXposted 5 years ago

Jams and honeys are things that last forever really, they have so little water and so much sugar in them that bacteria denature through osmosis. Honey has been found in Egyptian tombs for pharaohs to have in the afterlife.

Also a fun bee fact, after infection with a fungal parasite, bees use propolis (a sticky substance made of several resins) to self-medicate and to protect their hives against future infection. They also seek out the resin when their larvae are infected, demonstrating once more that bees are concerned with the health of their entire colony, not just with themselves.

So no fungus for bees and honey

6. am301986 profile image61
    am301986posted 5 years ago

I believe

* Honey
    * Uncracked wheat berries
    * Hostess Twinkies have a nuclear half-life of about 10,000 years
    * dried food and trail mix