jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What is the difference between biscuits and cookies?

1. ishwaryaa22 profile image91
    ishwaryaa22posted 5 years ago

What is the difference between biscuits and cookies?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6883210_f260.jpg

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

In broad terms cookie derives from North America and biscuit from the British Isles. If you're in the UK you'll be served tea and biscuits, in the US coffee and cookies.
    Cookie comes from the dutch koekje - little cake - from the verb koek, to cook. So all likelihood is the dutch imported it when they arrived as immigrants in the United States somewhere around the 18th century?
    Biscuit on the other hand has a latin origin bis - twice - and coctus - cooked - but has been frenchified somewhat. Biscuits were originally cooked twice to help keep them edible.
    Personally I always associate cookie with chocolate chip cookie but biscuit to me means anything from a Fig Roll to a Rich Tea, from a Digestive to a Malted Milk.

1. Don Fairchild profile image78
      Don Fairchildposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Chef-de-jour, you got it right.  My first experience as an American with the English biscuit was confusing because in America, the biscuit is a dry kind of unflavored bread served with a soup or stew.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the explanation chef-de-jour and Don Fairchild. I´m always confused when ask by my friends and relatives between the difference of cookies and biscuits. Now my mind is clear about this.

3. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 5 years ago

The Atlantic.-----------------------------------------------------

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image81
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

Biscuits in the US are like large savory scones. In New England, they are eaten with clam chowder.

In Blighty biscuits are what Americans call cookies. However, we Brits tend to refer to certain types of biscuits as cookies - the ones which have a clear American origin. Maryland cookies - i.e. chocolate chip - came out around the 1960s and were the first biscuits called cookies Britain had.  Before this, there was a type of cake in Britain called a cookie, but this disappeared as it got confusing!

The chewy type of cookies you get in the U.S. don't get made in Britain tasting exactly the same because the flour is different.  That's probably a good thing or I would be the size of a whale - they are irresistible.

5. profile image56
    Arahullposted 5 years ago

It depends where you live
    generally
    cookie is flat baked pastry and biscuit is small baked bread

6. Hariom Singhal profile image60
    Hariom Singhalposted 4 years ago

I do not know. I eat biscuits. I eat cookies.
    I never try to know which is biscuits or cookies. i try to know which is tasty.

working