I think salt brings out the flavor of things. Does anyone know what else I could

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. suzzycue profile image86
    suzzycueposted 11 years ago

I think salt brings out the flavor of things. Does anyone know what else I could use?

I use herbs instead of salt in cooking but I still miss salt. I even use salt on my grapefruit instead of sugar ,it is way better. I am a salt addict. Some people eat sugar for a treat...  I eat salt. I am saying I would eat  a bag of chips instead of lemon pie. Can people acutally change their cravings for salt?

2. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

I'm trying to wean off salt, a pinch of chilli powder can help in some meals.

3. MamaTschet profile image60
    MamaTschetposted 11 years ago

Suzzycue, I think the more salt you eat the more you will crave it.  That being said, try to wean yourself off of it slowly, or buy low sodium options.  My son uses Franks Hot Sauce on everything and I know it has a fair amount of sodium, but not as much as if I let him go crazy with the salt shaker!  My husband is a different story, he salts EVERYTHING before he tastes it and that is a sore subject with me!

4. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

How about good old Lemon salt for seasoning?

5. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

I agree, salt does bring out the flavor of things ~ it's yummy!

When you crave salt what your body is actually telling you is that you need more water.  Salt works to save and store your water supply in some crazy scientific way... all I know is that craving salt = you need more water.
    By giving your body what it actually wants rather than the "code craving" the craving will (should) go away, or at least become manageable.

Onto alternatives:
    Mrs. Dash is fantastic for adding to dishes & meals.  LOVE IT.  totally salt free & adds wonderful flavor.

NoSalt - very expensive - is actually potassium chloride. Word of caution though, it doesn't taste like salt if you lick it off your finger.  Only when you mix it into food.  Plus you use a lot less because it has a very strong flavor.

Garlic or Onion powder are great added seasonings which can give a "salty" type kick to your main dishes. 

Anyway, hope this helps.

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

I rarely use salt at all now, but I love fresh ground black pepper.  You can try sea salt.  Herbs and some spices are really great too, with a little extra virgin olive oil.

7. samsymmonds profile image60
    samsymmondsposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure if you get this in America, but Herbamare is absolutely great. It is a vegetable-based salt, and once you've tasted it, you'll rue the mundane flavour of ordinary salt. It has a lower sodium content than table salt too!

suzzycueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never heard of herbamare at all. I am in Canada.

8. bearnmom profile image68
    bearnmomposted 11 years ago

I find I have a finely tuned craving system.  If I eat something salty, I crave sweets.  If I eat chocolates, I crave something salty.  In my cooking, I use a pinch of sea salt for an entire recipe.  I cook with other herbs, spices and vegetables that have a salt content.  Celery is excellent for this because it is a tubular salt.  I'm going to explain that in a hub this coming weekend.

Oh please do. I know celery will make you sleep but I never heard of tubular salt. Interesting.

9. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 11 years ago

You're craving salt for a reason:  your body wants to become more alkaline.  Acidity is the cause of all cancers, and eating acidic foods is the main contributing factor.  Eat salt, but don't eat the over-processed, man-made chemical "sea" salts available from multinational corporations.  Try this out:  www.realsalt.com

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will check this out.

10. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Weaning is so hard and cold-turkey makes the cravings worse. Here are some of my favorites to help you at least cut back:

Morton's Season-All 25% less sodium
    Adobe Light All Purpose Seasoning 50% less sodium
    Vegit low-sodium All purpose seasoning
    Spike salt-free All purpose seasoning
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray

All of these can be used on any and everything. Happy weaning and good luck :-)

Thanks a lot janshares!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)