jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What do you hate about shopping at warehouse clubs, like Costco, Sams Club, etc.

1. davidlivermore profile image97
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

What do you hate about shopping at warehouse clubs, like Costco, Sams Club, etc.?

There are a few things I hate:  free samples, that clog up the aisles as people get free food; the fact that people don't bring their entire families and don't watch their kids; and the rude checkout people at Costco.  For some reason they always act rude.  I know their job is hard, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Our Costco in Kalispell is pretty good as far as the checkouts being courteous.  I think what I hate is my own failing - the temptation to buy a 5 gallon drum of teriyaki for example because it is cheap - those kind of things are so tempting, I end up spending more money that I would normally.

3. EricDockett profile image99
    EricDockettposted 4 years ago

I hate the entire experience, from the time I walk in the door until the time I leave.  I loathe crowded places packed with people who don't pay attention to where they are going and what they are doing, and this is about as bad as it gets.  It's mostly my own fault, because I always go on a weekend when it's utter madness.  I'm sure it's easier during the week.

Otherwise, I like the idea of Sam's. We hit it once a month and stock up on stuff we can buy in bulk, and there really are some great deals.  They also have some restaurant-quality items you can't get in a regular grocery store.  It's just the crowds that get to me!

1. davidlivermore profile image97
      davidlivermoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This sounds exactly like me.  I agree entirely.

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 4 years ago

We have Costco in Britain now and I quite like it, but some things are frustrating
    1) You can only buy things in bulk - I would like to try a frozen dish before having to buy a dozen of them. 
    2) I dread the checkouts as there can be a long wait, and the way they have to examine your cart before you leave to make sure you haven't stolen anything.
    3) I hate the way you always spend a lot more than you intended to.  The prices are without V.A.T. and you sometimes forget that almost everything is really 20% higher than the price-tag.
    4) They sell clothes but have no changing rooms.
    5) They don't provide carrier bags or boxes to hold all the smaller items and I always forget to bring my own.
    6) Eating there. It's very popular and cheap, but it's a carb-fest, mainly baked potatoes and pizza. Give me some healthy options!

I see Americans in there sometimes, who are living in London, and they are cock-a-hoop to be able to buy the products they buy at home.  The free samples don't attract crowds - maybe the US has yummier ones - or bigger ones?  The checkout people aren't usually rude, either.  But actually I like more things about Costco than I hate, otherwise I wouldn't keep going there!

5. caseymel profile image93
    caseymelposted 4 years ago

They usually have the basic flavor of a product.  Sometimes I don't want regular Oreo's.  Sometimes I want Mint Oreo's instead!

6. petenali profile image87
    petenaliposted 4 years ago

Buggys!  The buggys in Costco are nearly as enormous as the patrons pushing people out of the way to get to the free food samples.  Seriously, how difficult is it to push a buggy without taking out 14 ankles, 2 toddlers, a canoe and a dozen other buggys? 
    I am thinking that Costco should not issue memberships to people until they have undergone a buggy driving course!

7. Aupriann Myers profile image59
    Aupriann Myersposted 4 years ago

I've really only shopped at Costco. As for my opinion, I think there is definitely an upside to shopping in bulk. However, there is a downside. You think on most things you are getting a deal but in actuality you are buy a lot of fewer items and spending a lot.

working