jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How long do you spend cooking a main meal on a typical day?

1. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

How long do you spend cooking a main meal on a typical day?

I'm a fairly speedy cook, many meals are ready in thirty minutes or less.. How about you?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 4 years ago

About the same, half an hour, unless you count the meals I make in my crock pot - I actually take about ten minutes to assemble those, but they take hours to cook!

innerspinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, must get a crock pot!

3. emilynemchick profile image94
    emilynemchickposted 4 years ago

I'm the same. Usually I spend 30 minutes or so on dinner. My husband and I have about 10 or so 'stand-by' meals we usually make during the week. We save our adventurous cooking for the weekends.

That makes sense, thanks for answering.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I spend about one to two hours.  I usually start around 2 and finish when my children get home from school.  But I make big meals like baked chicken, mashed potatoes, sometimes fish recipes that use a lot of ingredients and take a while to bake.  I don't make a lot of pasta.

5. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Same for me, innerspin, especially on a weekday. I get home late some evenings so it has to be quick. I don't mind fixing a meal on a Sunday that might take more time. For example, I like taking hours to cook oxtail stew or any meats that cook in the oven. If I have the time, I really do like to cook.

6. kineticpoet profile image57
    kineticpoetposted 4 years ago

Half an hour when I cook real food... 3-5 minutes with 30 seconds cooling time if I'm not really in the mood (or have leftovers).

Great result!

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

As little time as possible.  I don't enjoy cooking--it's just something that has to be done.
    Once in a blue moon, I get a wild hair, and get in the kitchen and make some kind of all-day dish or bread, or something...but I can count those days in a year on the fingers of one hand with fingers left over.

I really don't like the holidays, because they demand being in the kitchen all day, and the holidays never seem to coincide with the odd days when I do feel like cooking up a storm.... LOL

working