Papa John's Pizza! Absolute worst pizza I have ever had!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Jillian Barclay profile image72
    Jillian Barclayposted 13 years ago

Two nights ago, my son was craving Papa John's Pizza. I had never eaten it. I usually make my own, from scratch pizza, and it is awesome, but I said okay. He ordered, it was delivered and it tasted like cardboard, actually cardboard might taste better! Anyone agree or are my taste buds way out of line?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure you didn't bite the box?

I like Papa Johns its better than some and not as good as others.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Philly Cheese Steak Pizza by Dominos. Love it.

then  Pizza Mia by Pizza Hut

Lastly Papa Johns - The Works (Perfect Pan Crust) -- try that, it is good.

I prefer Dominos.

Jillian Barclayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Philly Cheesesteak Pizza actually sounds pretty good! What is on it? What kind of cheese?

Just looked online-found alot of recipes for philly cheesesteak pizza- going to make one tonight-

left over roast beef, chopped up into bite-sized pieces
        1 onion, chopped
        1 bell pepper, chopped
        8 ounces of mushrooms
        3 Tablespoons of worcesteshire sauce
        Carmelize onions-add and saute bell peppers and mushrooms together, til tender. Add roast beef and worcesteshire sauce, heat through and drain excess liquid from pan
        8 ounces of mozarella and 8 ounces of provolone, mixed

Use your favorite pizza dough brush with olive oil and spread some crushed garlic across the top-bake about 5-10 minutes-usually at 375 degrees- spread the roast beef and onion mixture across dough, then add the cheese- finish baking in the oven about 10 more minutes. Sounds awesome!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thin sliced steak, - beef, cheese, mushrooms and peppers

I see you've got the recipe

It just sounds good! Thank you!

2. KristenGrace profile image60
          KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha - nice job locating the recipe - Enjoy smile

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's not very good.

My problem with pizza is that most places make the thick crust, which turns out like eating half-raw dough, what kind of pizza is that?!  I always order the thin crust for myself, everyone else can have their ball of dough crust.

I like Domino's.

And there's a little local place here called Mr. Gatti's.
      Best pizza around, and they have an all-you-can-eat buffet that includes pizza, salad, and even some "dessert" pizzas that are almost as good as apple or cherry pie.

1. rmcrayne profile image93
        rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gatti's is a chain with 140+ locations. 

http://find.mapmuse.com/map/mr-gattis

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
          Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait, isn't gatti italian for cats?  Do you really want to order from a place called Cats' ?

Just saying.

1. profile image0

Gulp.......

haha I dunno if it is or not; I just know I luv their pizza!
            big_smile

2. profile image0

Wow. I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info!
          Rock on, Mr. Gatti's! big_smile

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I am not sure I agree that cardboard would taste better, having had both! I can agree that a home made pizza made from scratch is way better then just about anything you can get delivered to the door big_smile

For some reason, men in their 20's and 30's seem to love Papa John's (at least my son and his friends do). Sorry, but it was gross! I don't even think the cheese was real cheese or is that just the way all fast food pizza tastes? Actually, have never had cardboard, but thought it might taste similar!

3. profile image0
    Revive@OwnRiskposted 13 years ago

There aren't any chain pizzarias that I like. Usually the best ones are local shops that have been in the business for a long time.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.  "Chain" pizzas are nothing but massed produced, flavored cardboard.  No offense intended to Papa and the others.  I guess there's a market for everything after all, some people will buy the Chevy Volt.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you guys - Not a fan of the "chains" either.

4. ftclick profile image57
    ftclickposted 13 years ago

I don't think it's the worst but it is at the bottom. I had a special pizza from a joint a few blocks away that also serves chicken (my 1st warning). It came from a hotel flyer and I could not even finish one piece. Those mom & pops that fix other unrelated foods and pizza are the ones to avoid. Papas is no good either. At least Pizza Hut charges you more and you get a somewhat decent pizza, not great but decent.

5. CarpetDiem profile image70
    CarpetDiemposted 13 years ago

hmmm...
    I'll have to remember this.
    I keep seeing the Papa John commercials on TV and wanted to try one, but we don't have one locally. I thought if I was ever near one, I'd try it, but maybe now I'll pass.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

None of the chains are good.  Papa Johns though is particularly awful.  I get free coupons frequently; I donate them to homeless shelters.

I'm expecting an angry mob of homeless to attack my home some night.

Read your posts all the time! This one is very funny!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  The truth hurts, but sometimes it amuses instead.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I call it mafia meal. It adds stomach problems if you have any. It adds weight problems, because too much melted cheese and half cooked dough with it could sit in your stomach forever. It gives your stomach asidity like hell. It's not cheap if you order it. And other than some chicken or beef protein and some mushrooms and peppers if they put any on top, what kind of nutrition value in it? Well, if it's fresh and you are hungry and it smells good, who cares that you are going to have bloated stomach later? We have lots of pepto-bismol or whatever-gizmo pills on the market to give you a relief. Hurray, civilization, go ahead, eat your pizza.

My son had to take Tums in the middle of the night with Papa John's- guess that proves your point!

BTW-the philly cheesesteak pizza was awesome! Made my own crust and the veggies were actually my favorite part- also added some cherry tomatoes, uncooked and chopped in half. Recommend sharp provolone! Makes all the difference! Had it with a spinach salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing- kind of used the 'pizza' as a dipping tool for the salad dressing. That is just what Italians do, I guess!

8. Moonchild60 profile image76
    Moonchild60posted 13 years ago

Wow, I have to tell you I have heard some really bad things about Papa John's Pizza.  Every person I know who has tried it has just shaken their head and made a face. So I have stayed away from both that and Domino's.  I try to just go to pizza hut if I want outside pizza, otherwise I usually make my own.  It's worth all the work to have a really good pizza.

9. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

tastes differ smile

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

tongue

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-sad-smileys-435.gif
    Right, Misha as always.

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Sorry about that tongue

11. Amber4 profile image61
    Amber4posted 13 years ago

Wow! You must've just had someone new on the job make that pizza because Papa Johns is delicious! But if you're generally a healthy person you probably wouldn't be a fan anyway. They have giant grease piles on their pizza and it's delicious. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Lol!

12. lilibees profile image59
    lilibeesposted 13 years ago

I have always loved papa john,s great pizza I thought!

13. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I gotta say, Domino's has really improved.  It used to be that the only reason that you would buy Domino's is because it was the cheapest pizza and they delivered quick when you're hungry.

14. I am DB Cooper profile image84
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

It's true, Papa John's is pretty awful. I'm lucky enough to live in a small town with a large population of first or second generation Italian-Americans, many of whom have opened up small pizzerias, so I don't have to eat that crap pizza from Papa John's, Dominoes, or Pizza Hut.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)