Shit on a single

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    oberbrecklingposted 15 years ago

(Shit on a shingle)  My wife an I are having this argument about dinner today, she says that your suppose to use a white gravy. I think your suppose to use a dark gravy. We are using hambuger, and all this is over toast. I made it the way I wanted, but she did not eat,now I feel terrible about it, and on top of it we are still argueing about it as I'm writing this, so maybe everyone could help settle this.
    My wife's name is patty my name is paul what do you guys thinkl?

1. Tater2tot profile image58
      Tater2totposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well Paul, I have never had hamburger, toast, and gravy put together. SO I can't say a better way. Now if you were talking about mashed potatoes and you have to add gravy then I would go with dark gravy. But when it comes to opinion like this there is no right or wrong answer. It just depends on what you prefer. hmm

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No,no,no all, Sh** on a shingle is white gravy with hamberger over toast. 

rec.

groung beef, (hamberbooger)
      with onions and garlic,
      one can of cream of mushroom soup. 
      let all the flavors come together, oh but don't forget to drain the greese from the hamberger before you add the cream of mushroom soup, oh and about a half a can of milk instead of a whole one.  smile

I like my sh*t over rice, but traditionally (at least from the way I have known to eat it) is is served open faced over toast. 

smile

3. Time-4-More profile image61
      Time-4-Moreposted 15 years agoin reply to this
    4. HotBabesNYC profile image59
      HotBabesNYCposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Continuing making the white gravy--this argument is not really about gravy.

5. profile image59
      joxallposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you come from the military it is white gravy with hamburger over toast...this is breakfast favorite to some.

2. profile image0

Now see that's the only way to eat it is mashed potatoes,she thought it was done with toast and that's where everthing got messed up was right there.

3. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Why shit on a single,if you cann't agree with your wife.Learn to agree,listen to her and their willbe no problems.lol

4. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

Here in Mississippi, S**t on Shingles is a biscuit covered with sausage gravy. Never heard it called that with hamburger. Now we do have a dish consisting of texas toast, hamburger pattie smothered in brown gravy that is called a trucker's special. Both are delicious!!

Bonnie

1. DJ Funktual profile image76
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I gotta tell ya Bonnie.  If you wrote a HUB on authentic Mississippi-style cookin people would love it.  A Trucker's special?  Never heard of that.  Sounds awesome though.

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
        Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ok, DJ, here it is! Just for you!
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Authentic-South … where-else
        Hope you like it!

5. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

Where I grew up, that was the name for creamed chipped beef on toast.

6. profile image0

Excuse me topstuff I've been married for 11 years, I think I've already learned that one, but at times there's no reason it can't be a two way street.

Hey Bonnie in Iowa we call that biscuits and sauage gravy, but that tucker's special. "Wow," that sounds like my kind of eat,and how's it going there in Mississipps. I lived in Baton Rouge La. for 12 years, man loved the food, great place.

rmr, I don't know where you grew up, but my wife is smiling smile about that one.
    She know's all about that one, " honey why didn't we have that one?" When she was telling about using white gravy she referred to that dish."saying make it like chipped beef gravy."

Thank's guys, gave us a whole lot of idea's, anyone else no a different way!

7. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I think you should just do what your wife says for something as simple as gravy lol...

8. Veronica Bright profile image59
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Hmmm...I am from Nebraska and I am amazed no one has heard of hamburger and gravy on toast.  Now for my 2 cents

I DO call Hamburger, WHITE gravy, and toast SOS (*can also be make with chipped beef)
    There IS a dish with Hamburger, Brown Gravy and toast, but we just call it "leftovers"  smile

Sausage, Gravy and Biscuts are called Sausage, Gravy and Biscuts.

That's the way I learned it anyway.

9. profile image0

Wow veronica I see in nebraska it's very similar to the way we eat it here in Iowa and your very good at explaning this. thank-you so much veronica and please if you have anymore to add just go right ahead thanks again
                                               ~cool~ cya!

10. Veronica Bright profile image59
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Wow, how did my post end up on here twice?  Sorry, Been writing for days on end and I think I'm getting a bit tired.  All this talk of food making me hungry!  smile
    Oberbreckling...You're right, but then Iowa and Nebraska are neighbors, so it follows that we'd share some ideas of things...lol

11. profile image0

Amoung alot of other things veronica like:(winter storms,tornados). That is just to add a few more to the list.
                                                ~cool~ cya!

12. Gaget Girl profile image69
    Gaget Girlposted 15 years ago

Ive never heard of any of these! I'm guessing most of these must be from America?

13. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Like rmr, I know sh*t on a shingle as creamed chipped beef on toast.  I learned that name for it from my ex, who learned it when he was in the Army in the early 70s.

As for hamburger and gravy on toast, the one I remember as a staple in our kitchen while I was growing up is this:  sautee some chopped onion in butter, add a half-pound of hamburger meat (the greasier the better) and brown, then add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (don't dilute with milk or water), heat the glop now in the pan some more, and serve.  I actually tried this meal a few months ago, and I am now amazed that my family survived weekly doses of all that fat and salt.  But, oh boy, does it taste good!

14. funnebone profile image72
    funneboneposted 15 years ago

SOS is chipped bef..and if gadget girl ever comes to america I would be happy to prepare this gourmet meal for her.

15. profile image0
    RUTHIE17posted 15 years ago

Well, got to agree with everyone from the Midwest on the names of foods.

And, for the hamburger with gravy--it's got to be white gravy.  Nothing else will do!  The toast part--always had mine with biscuits.

Now if you make seafood ala king (drained tuna or salmon, cream of mushroom or celery soup, little milk, sauted onion and green pepper and some green peas (optional) ), you can use biscuits, toast or even waffles.  Also like it over rice.

All good stuff to help stretch the budget!

16. profile image0
    RUTHIE17posted 15 years ago

Well, got to agree with everyone from the Midwest on the names of foods.

And, for the hamburger with gravy--it's got to be white gravy.  Nothing else will do!  The toast part--always had mine with biscuits.

Now if you make seafood ala king (drained tuna or salmon, cream of mushroom or celery soup, little milk, sauted onion and green pepper and some green peas (optional) ), you can use biscuits, toast or even waffles.  Also like it over rice.

All good stuff to help stretch the budget!

17. Neko-chan profile image63
    Neko-chanposted 15 years ago

Now seeing as everyone from the middle and southern states has posted, I think it's time someone from the western states posts. smile

I think there is an amazing variety of regional differences here. I have never heard of SOS (that is actually quite a repulsive name for a dish in my opinion), Truckers Special, or anything like that (about the closest we have is Biscuits and Gravy). I do enjoy cooking though, and so, instead of arguing over a mere thing like gravy type, I think that you should turn it into a kind of game.

Given the components (gravy, bread product, and meat) there are any numbers of ways you can fix a meal (dark gravy/beef steak/fresh bread, white gravy/beef mince/wheat toast, white gravy/sausage/biscuits, etc).

Food should never result in argument, only ways to improve it and make it better. big_smile

18. chuckngayle profile image58
    chuckngayleposted 15 years ago

S.O.S.  is creamed chipped beef on toast.  It is always a white gravy. It used to be a staple in the armed forces.
    I never heard of it with dark gravy or hamburger.
    Chuck loved it when he was in the air force.  My daughter hated it, my son loved it when I served it at home.  My grandmother taught me how to make it.  It is a recipe she learned during the GREAT DEPRESSION.. Good heavens we may have to resort to more of those cheap dinners nowadays. 
    Rivvle soup and creamed corn on toast were 2 other meals she taught me.
    Any one else have really cheap meals they grew up on????

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

While I wasn't around during the depression, I have had a few years of having to be pretty "creative" to get by. Once when things were getting dire, I made what I started calling a goulash. It was just scrambled hamburger meat with mashed potatoes and whole kernel corn mixed together. Then you can add some worshestersire sauce or steak sauce if you want to spice it up.

Made seperately, this would be one meal but mixed together in a pot, it seems to multiply and can be heated for another meal. It is something that I still like to fix now and then. In fact, my daughter and I had some this week and we really enjoyed it. Of course, it always tastes better when you make it by choice and not necessity. lol

Bonnie

19. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

The vote is in White Gravy interesting I have never seen it with brown gravy.smile

20. royalblkrose profile image61
    royalblkroseposted 15 years ago

When I was a child, Sh*it on a shingle was creamed chipped beef on toast, and the gravy was usually white. Now you may want to try it her way and see what you think.  the thing about food is  it's the only science projects that you can eat!
    The other thing about food is that since it's so central to our lives we have strong memories for what we like and want to eat... there's no truly wrong answer, just differing, and strong opinions....

21. profile image53
    trish95posted 15 years ago

Hey Paul our Mom made hamburger gravy when we were childern. 
    I still make it once a week for dinner today.
    Hamburger browned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
    drain add water & kitchen bouquet or beef broth instead
    mix flour paste for gravy, this makes the brown gravy
    served over mashed potato with corn as a side and white bread or rolls.
    we ate it with hamburger because sliced beef was too much $$$
    white gravy goes with dried chipped beef over toast
    I do not recall eating this but lots of folks did in Iowa
    You would have to add milk for the gravy and as much cereal as you
    and Matthew gobbled down as kids I doubt there was extra!
    My guess is you and Patty are both correct.

22. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Um, no thanks.  I'll stick to baked salmon & salad.

(Yuck!)

23. Oliviashands profile image58
    Oliviashandsposted 15 years ago

This was originally served to our military during wartime, my dad also used ground beef. He said that it was chipped beef from a can in the army. It is traditionlly served over toasted bread, with a light or natural gravy, made from the rendered fat of the meat. I remember it well, Hate It.

24. Nicole Winter profile image60
    Nicole Winterposted 15 years ago

I thought you were supposed to use creamed chipped corn beef ... (Stouffer's)

--- Nicole A. Winter

25. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

For a "single" it doesn't really matter.

If it is a point of contention between marrieds it is not that important.  There are much better things to argue about.

Call your version by a different name, "Vomit on a shingle" comes to mind.  But, perhaps, something in French would sound tastier.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Rochelle.

I'm from the Midwest, and I've never heard of such a gross food stuff.  Why even waste time 'cooking' it and arguing about it?

"Le Vomir et toast."  How's that?    smile

1. Christoph Reilly profile image68
        Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Au contraire, my little biscuit.  It is delicious (if made properly).  As stated above by many, it is creamed chipped beef on toast, but you can use hamberger.  The gravy is white.  It was a staple in the armed forces, as stated above, who presumably were served a poorly prepared version.  It was the soldiers who named it "Sh** on a shingle."  MMmmm.   Now that's some good eatin'!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)