Hub Pages Ettiquette

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (43 posts)
  1. a.l. laurice profile image69
    a.l. lauriceposted 14 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just have a question about Hub Pages "ettiquette".

I've seen that at the end of a lot of hubs the author suggests other hubber's hubs on the same or similiar topic. I've come across some really good hubs that I would like to the same with. I was wondering if you are supposed to ask the author's permission before adding a link to their hub? Or is that uneccesary?

Thanks!

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for the othersm but please feel free to reference my hubs even if they are not relevant to the topic smile

a.l. lauriceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol thanks Greek One. Maybe I'll start putting your Leafs schedule in all of my hubs. I have to root for the Sabres--but any hockey schedule is always relevant to any topic.

1. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are going to do just fine here

smile

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your Hubs are great! You can link mine any time you like smile

3. profile image52
      Cyndi1553posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Grammar and spelling are key to any writings; you spell etiquette with three T's, not four.

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Generally you'll find that your fellow hubbers will not be offended, rather they'd be happy. Welcome to the site by the way smile

Thank you frogdropping! smile

3. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You do not have to ask many are happy that you are linking there hubs however there may be a few that do not take to it kindly but you will find that out if they address you about it. I would say it is less then 1% smile

4. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

welcome, and I would be happy for you to use any of my hubs as you wish on your page. Thanks smile

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

There are some people who will want to know before you decide to put their link with your material and I would advise you to get their permission.

There are going to be a lot of people who do not have a problem with it, but I would rather exercise a side of caution.

Welcome to HubPages.

6. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

yes it wouldn't hurt to ask, but you have my permission in advance.

7. Faybe Bay profile image65
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

For my part, I always try to ask. Some hubbers aren't active any more and may not reply.

I have never been turned down, most will be flattered.

Welcome to Hub Pages! And, you have my permission, if anything I have written or write is relevant you are welcome to link.

And for future reference, if you ever need anything, feel free to e-mail me. If I don't have an answer, I will refer you to someone who does.

Thank you Faybe Bay, I will! I would much appreciate that.

8. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Link away! at least with mine smile

9. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Fine with me! smile

10. a.l. laurice profile image69

Thanks so much everyone for all your good advice smile

11. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Welcome to hubpages a.l. laurice smile

I really don't understand why any hubber would ever mind a link to their hub? More traffic is always good I thought. Besides on the internet you can't stop who links to your web page or hub.

There has been much written about how to get others to link to you content online. Since Google doesn't penalize content if a link is coming from a bad neighborhood, I just don't see why anyone would ever care. But whatever...

Anyone can always link to any of my hubs without asking. I do appreciate to be let know though just so I can see in what context your linking to me.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Anyone who knows anything about making money online will tell you - the more people who link TO your Hub, the better.

Having said that, Hubbers don't generally suggest other people's Hubs at the end of their own - so don't feel it's "etiquette" to do so.

There is a thing called the HubMob, where you all write on the same topic and then include links to each other's Hubs at the end - maybe that's what you're seen.  It's a great idea and well worth joining in. 

Here's the current "Mob" thread:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/39024

You'll also see that HubPages suggests "related Hubs" by other Hubbers anyway, in the right sidebar of your Hub.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.  It never occurred to me not to put a link box and search HubPages for related Hubs.  I know there's "related Hubs", but sometimes I find other ones I like better.  I know there's Mob, but - same thing with that.

I've just always seen it as adding yet more stuff for people to read; and I've even always assumed HubPages would encourage Hubbers to call attention to other Hubs.   hmm  (In other words, when I add that link box as the last part of my Hubs, I'm thinking I'm doing something good.  lol  ). It does always occur to me that it's yet another thing pointing to other people's Hubs, and it does seem a little "questionable" - but I do like being able to select the ones I want, and kind of thought because there's the "search HubPages" thing on the link box, it's what we're encouraged to do.  I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you or questioning what you say - just mentioning that it never even occurred to me it was "iffy" (or even that people may not like links to their own Hubs) to do.   smile

Lisa, of course you're doing something good - it's very generous of you.  Personally, I want my readers to leave my Hub by clicking on my ads.  The more alternative exits I give them, the more likely I am to lose a sale!

Mob is different, because I know I'm getting lots of links back to my Hubs in return, so it all evens out.

1. MyWebs profile image78
            MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You said "...I want my readers to leave my Hub by clicking on my ads." & "...because I know I'm getting lots of links back to my Hubs in return, so it all evens out."

So how is this any different than two or more hubs exchanging links on closely related hubs?

So many here are afraid of losing ad clicks by linking to other hubs. I think if the hubs are fairly close to being equal then it all balances out traffic wise. Then there is a small net gain by gaining some more Google Page Rank.

I do know Google does like it when a hub or web page links out to high quality  closely related content. There is definitely a bonus given for this!

I don't think it is different, IF it's not a direct swap.  I'm not sure if it matters on HP, but I try to do indirect exchanges rather than direct ones (A links to B links to C links to D).

2. Lisa HW profile image61
            Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thanks.  I'm not the "swiftest" when it comes to thinking in terms of keeping readers or "aiming them" toward ads (or whatever).   lol   Just as it never occurred to me that I shouldn't be adding the links, it also never occurred to me to try to keep people on the page.   hmm  (I'm pretty "horrified" at my lack of know-how when it comes to some stuff.  lol)

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I recently read Paul Edmonson's latest hub about writing numerous articles on a single topic and he discusses linking to other hubs and encourages it. (in comment section)
          I think it helps to build an audience if the hub has quality content with links. the readers come back because they know they can get informative info and not be running around 'google searching' ad-filled articles with no real content that are rampant online now.
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Reasons-to-Writ … ngle-Topic
          oops, forgot to add, that hubmob is a fantastic way to link quality hubs.

Yes Rebekah, but he's talking about linking to your OWN Hubs, not linking to other people's Hubs. 

Nelle Hoxie interlinks her own Hubs extensively, and she's a powerhouse!  The thing is, you're not losing the reader if they're skipping around your own Hubs - you're just cementing your reputation so they're more likely to click on one of your recommended ads eventually.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
              rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe if you read through the comments also, you'll see that he's talking about both, linking within HP.

I know that's mentioned in the comments but it's not what the Hub is about. The Hub is about writing multiple Hubs on the same subject and interlinking them to improve your traffic.

HubPages as a whole benefits from interlinking between Hubs, that's why they have things like the HubMob to encourage it.  But the bottom line is, if you let a reader go to someone else's site about the same topic, they may find the item they want there and won't come back.

2. a.l. laurice profile image69

Thank you Marisa! I do see what you're saying about not wanting people to leave your page without clicking on an ad. But I'm not really expecting to make a lot of money on Hub Pages. I don't think I really have the know-how to make a business venture of it.  I just want to get some writing experience. But I do appreciate your advice!

12. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

welcome to hubpages first of all and secondly i dont mind if anyone links my hubs ... so i guess its pretty much a unanimous vote that it is ok lol smile

13. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I think the only way I would deny a link if it's on a terrible hub with questionable content, etc.  WOuldn't really want to be associated with that.  Otherwise, link away!

14. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

My most successful pages are packed with links. If your page is strong, people visit the links, read and then return to finish your page. Google likes links to high page rank sites. If you check the flagship hubs specification it requires at least 5 links to other pages.

There is a technique of writing for adsense that involves never giving the visitor the information they are looking for, just teasing them with hints and allusions until they click an add in despair. I'll do a lot of things to make a dollar but that kind of thing makes the business of writing so pointless, I have to pass.

Will, I hear what you're saying - but I follow Darkside's example, and add my reference links at the end of the Hub, below the comments, where Google can see it but they won't distract readers.

I also don't try to "game" Adsense by holding stuff back - or consciously think about keywords, or anything else.  I just write naturally about the subject.

15. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I dont know - just called to say hello smile

Lol hello theirishobserver smile

16. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

its ok for me, I want to know so that I can also link theirs to mine

Welcome here BTW!

17. a.l. laurice profile image69

Thanks everyone for taking the time to weigh in on this smile

18. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Feel free to link to mine-- it is nice to ask people if they haven't given permission. If you ask them in the comments  under their hub, you are already giving them a little boost.

Funny you should say that Rochelle - I've always hesitated to do that. If I'm going to link to another Hub, I just do it. I feel like it's attention-seeking to let them know in a comment (sort of, look at me, now thank me for doing you a favour!).

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess that's another way to look at it, Marisa. I had not thought of it that way, but then it is something I rarely do.

19. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 14 years ago

Nobody would get offended by links. You'll notice that hubpages displays similar hubs in the right side bar of your hub. The only situation when a hubber may object exists only when you provide links to other's hubs in a adult hub or a bikni type hub.

20. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I think most hubbers would be very happy!  Please feel free to link to my content at any time (as long as you don't copy one of my articles and link to it at the end!

21. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I am always happy to have links to my hubs:D  Feel free!

Great to have you onboard HP...  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)