"Suggest Links" issues

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I have used the "suggest links" option today on my latest two hubs and had a couple of problems, one potentialy quite serious!

The first was I clicked on a suggested word which was highlighted and nothing happened, so I double clicked it.. I was redirected to another webpage instead of having suggestions as to what should link to the word! So I hit back to return to my hub (now no longer with the suggested links highlighted, just a normal hub..) and I noticed that the webpage I had been to was the google add that was located where the "stop suggesting links" box was located! I am 100% sure I did not click this add as all of the suggestions were still highlighted etc when i was redirected from the page and the word was on the oposite side of the screen to the add.

The second less serious problem was I selected a word to link to, did the link, but when I viewed the text later the link text had moved two characters to the right.. so instead of the link being "ergonomic layout" it was "gonomic layout a". I will return to all my hubs later to check the links as I just assumed that they are all correct, I think I need to check..

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LeanMan, thank you for reporting these problems. I'm afraid that I have no explanation for why the first problem occurred. Do you remember what phrase it was that you clicked on and in what Hub?

As for the second problem, I have also seen characters shift in a couple of your Hubs. The odd thing is, as soon as I edited your Hub to return it to its original state, the problem disappeared. Try as I might, I have not been able to reproduce the problem on my own test copy of HubPages. So I'm afraid that so far I have not been able to find a solution for this either. If at any point you try the tool again and have the same problem, please report it again and I will do my best to fix it.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to give you more satisfying answers. I appreciate your help in ironing out the bugs in the tool, and I apologize for the inconvenience that they have caused you. Hopefully the bugs will soon be figured out and using the tool will be a more pleasant experience in the future.

2. LeanMan profile image80

Tried to add links again this evening on my 2 new hubs, same again, links are moved 2 characters to the right!!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passed this on to Fawntia so she can try to figure out the problem.  One of us will let you know when we think we've got a fix.  Just didn't want you to think we're ignoring you, in the meantime.

3. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Ive noticed while reading a few hubs that there links were oddly highlighted missing a few letters and all - must have been the link tool. (it was on this profile:http://hubpages.com/author/trading/latest/?page=2) but as he has published like 50 hubs since I was looking last night I cant find the example)

Ive had a few issues with the link tool having no results or highlighting the spaces between words but no actual terms, but refreshing the page seemed to correct them.

LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you look on my hub, "5S Training" you will see two examples in the first text capsule, they remain that way on both IE and Firefox..

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

If you can give me specific examples of Hubs where problems are arising (as well as tell me what browser you are using), then I am happy to look into these problems.

4. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

The problem I have encountered is that when I click on the highlighted word, no suggestions appear.  Refreshing does not help.  It's happend in more than one hub yet it worked when this was first introduced.  Maddie, can the team look at this too?

LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is what started my first problem, I got no suggestion, thought maybe I had not clicked, so double clicked it and ended up on an advert..

1. Beth100 profile image68
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

UGH!!  That's what keep happening to me now!!!  Geez, not interested in some of these ads!

If the green highlighted phrase becomes animated with lines, then the keyword suggestion tool is waiting for a response from our server. Sometimes it can be a bit slow. Are you still having this problem, Beth100? If so, please tell me what phrase you are clicking on and in which Hub. Knowing what browser you are using is also helpful. Thanks.

1. Beth100 profile image68
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Fawntia -- Seems like the tool is working for me today.  When it did happen, it was with IE8 and I'm running Vista in 32 and 64 bit. 

Thank you for looking into the issue.  smile

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

When the tool first came out, I noticed this... Well, I noticed that I didn't get any suggestions. It took some playing around and a little struggle to get it to work. It was complicated, so I don't use it.

6. LeanMan profile image80

Just used the tool again on my latest hub, still having the link shifted 2 characters to the right, no change...

Using firefox, although yesterday I was using IE..

Hubs that still show problem are my latest today, "Lean Manufacturing Training" and "5S training" from 2 days ago..

Thanks for the heads up. I was finally able to reproduce the problem, so I should be able to figure it out from here. Thanks for your patience. I'll let you know when I believe the problem is fixed.

I believe that this bug is fixed now. Please let me know if you run into any more problems.

To be clear, it's possible that there are still some messed up links in your Hubs. I fixed all of the ones that I saw, but I may have missed some.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)