Emotion and Cognition

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pburgerposted 13 years ago

Is emotion distinct and separate from cognition? Does emotion cloud cognition? Or does emotion inform cognition? And vice versa - does cognition inform our emotions?

In short, what is the relation between emotion and cognition?

1. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES!

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a bit of a false dichotomy.  A lot of what we know, and learn, is emotional.  and feelings (frustration, satisfcation etc) are important for driving other types of learning processes.

3. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No simple answer but I would say that as emotion is more deep seated and primal then it must have a very significant effect on cognition.

Just one example, if you're extremely anxious(e.g. at an exam, a job interview) it can be almost impossible to calm yourself down simply by thought. That usually takes a medittative process.

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Both work in concert.  They are inseparably connected to who you are - the soul.  The key to mastering the self is keeping all facets in check and balance.  Keeping emotion to a mutually satisfying level with cognition is vital to growth mentally, physically, emotionally and intellectually.  This is one of the reasons why unions between men and women are so important.  Each gender tends to operate according to different sets of priority and criteria.  No one set is all correct or all wrong.  However, by bringing both together and intertwining them into a functioning life allowing growth that is where happiness can be found.

1. profile image0
      pburgerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello goldenpath

Thank you for your thoughts. Personally, I agree with you, and wonder why people think otherwise.

For example, Immanuel Kant, whose Critique of pure reason still informs much of our legal & bureaucratic systems, argues for that good judgment comes when we separate emotion from cognition. That emotion clouds our judgment. And do we not hear lawyers, judges, politicians, philosophers and scientists tell us rational judgments are best made without the interference of emotions?

Are we two alone on this precarious limb of the intellectual tree?

3. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

True.  I believe it an ever pursuit to make them both work in concert.  Objectivity is key in judicial and executive matters but lacks without even the hint of compassion.  This is where that balance comes in.  If you let emotions run wild you end up with anarchy and a messed up future.  If you let pure reason and intellect govern all you will find compassion a foreign word. 

Simply put, whether one believes in a god or not we possess all these qualities, virtues and attributes that make up the sum total of who we are.  It should be a "no brainer" that the journey of life is a journey of the mastery of all these facets.  That balance is what ensures not only prosperity but also happiness.

4. wingedcentaur profile image65
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day pburger

We might begin by defining our terms. What is cognition? What is emotion? I'd like to take a stab at it, if I may.

If all agree, let us call cognition (n.): the faculty of becoming aware of the world around us and interpeting it in some way; this is the general process by which we come to "know" things.

Emotion (n.): a positive or negative, non-verbal, internal reaction (as distinct from 'feelings') to an event or person.

Someone might be described as a "happy" person, and so forth. I do not regard this happiness as an emotional state. For me this refers to demeanor or feelings, which are different from emotions. Someone may be "optimistic," or "upbeat." Neither of these are emotional states; they refer to demeanor -- they are perceived and described as general states of being.

Someone might be said to be an "angry" person. Anger is an emotion, but not in the way it is used here! They way it is used in this instance is as a general state of being.

If A becomes angry at B, anger in this instance is an emotion because it is reactive. A, we can assume, becomes angry at B, for something B has done (or thought to have done) to A. A might "love" B, not for anything B may have done specifically, merely for "being who you are," and so on.

Remember, in our language, most languages, "To Be" is understood to be a verb, an action. Therefore by "being who you are," you are doing something which someone else might react to by loving you.

Therefore, what is the relationship between cognition and emotion? Emotion employs cognition to fuel it. Emotion reacts and therefore comes into being because of what the individual learns or becomes aware of. Feelings or demeanors are not necessarily triggered by specifics of any kind.

5. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Emotion is the state that arises when cognitive or biological processes are met or confounded.  (Realize that cognition takes place in the brain, which is a biological thing, but I suspect this crowd currently weighing in knows why I separate them.)

6. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Actually, recent brain imaging studies seem to indicate  that for many of us, emotions drive us and the rational mind comes up with an explanation for why that must be reasonable.

Of course,  most of us will have an immediate negative emotional response to the idea that we are not really rational most if the time :-)

1. wingedcentaur profile image65
      wingedcentaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Day Pcunix

Yes, I can endorse that. Your point reminds me of a story I heard on NPR one time. There was a man, a conservative banker, a real logically-minded guy who fell ill or had an accident, which required him to undergo brain surgery.

It came to pass that the surgery involved the removal of a piece of the brain that had to do with the trigger of emotions (the details are sketchy for me). As a result he was rendered somewhat cold. You could show him pictures of heartrending tragedies, with people suffering in horrendous ways, and so forth. These images got no reaction from him. None! His heart rate didn't jump or anything.

There was another effect, and this goes directly to your point, Pcunix, about how we are in fact driven by our emotions that we later rationalize. This deficit also rendered him incapable of making decisions.

Now, this procedure had made him a kind of Vulcan Spock-like figure, guided solely by logic. But here's the thing. He eventually lost his job because he could not make even the smallest decisions. He would be seated at his desk paralyzed with indecision. Why?

Because he could not decide whether to sign a contract with the blue pen or the black pen. After all, one is just as logical as the other. Emotion is needed to break through the choices and pick something and "get on with it."

7. profile image0
    BIKTMIAposted 13 years ago

Emotions I learned, that what I didn't like I found a way to find to like. What I liked I now no longer feel it was my call. Common ground I found that when you have commonality you can work as a team.  Nobody can understand what you have not lived..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)