Are All Hubs Capped At A Page Rank of 3?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (49 posts)
  1. DeanKeaton259 profile image59
    DeanKeaton259posted 13 years ago

Hey guys, are all of the hubs on hubpages capped at PR 3? I'm curious because I don't think I've ever seen a hub with a PR above 3. Are there any hubs that have a PR > 3? If so, could you provide some examples?

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

A page rank of 3 for a single page of content is actually fantastic.

Although I have not seen a PR4 either.

3. itech profile image64
    itechposted 13 years ago

Let ask others, did anyone has greater PR than 3,
    1) How u done that?
    2) Are u sure u don't want to put the link of that page here.

Well, I've also never seen hubs with above PR3 but seen profiles with 4 or 5 PR.

4. relache profile image74
    relacheposted 13 years ago

If someone had a Hub with a higher PR, what would be their benefit in disclosing that info?  Wouldn't it be in their best interests to not tell everyone else?

BTW, Lisa HW, 1 and 2 are lower in page rank than 3.  When something is "capped" it means where the top cut-off is, not the bottom.

DeanKeaton259posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not inquiring about the possible motivations or benefits that go along with posting a link. I just want to know if there are any hubs out there that in fact have a PR > 3. I want to know if it's possible.

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Anyone care to elaborate on what "PR of 3" means, since it appears that it doesn't mean what I think it means. (Or does it?)

PR = Page Rank. PRs range from 0-10. 10 being the best, 0 being the worst. PRs are assigned by Google based on a site's relevance, quality, number of quality links, etc. I started this thread out of curiosity since I've never seen a hub with a PR > 3. Even the best hubs on hubpages (at least the ones I've seen) are all @ PR 3 or less. I was just wondering why that is.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

relache, thanks.  I apparently (obviously, I should say) have been mistaken about some definitions of some terms.  hmm  I deleted my post.

I was thinking 1 meant being on the front/top page that showed up after someone searched (preferably in the top few things), and I've seen several on that or else on the second page. (2 meant being on the second one after someone clicked "next" - and so on)  At this point, I have to say I still don't really get what the "proper terminology is"   smile.   Live and learn.   

I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that "capping" meant that something from HubPages (or any particular site) would never make it to the first page of a search.

7. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Ive seen a few 4's - rarely -

I checked this out a lot I was curious about the same thing - my best are 3's

But Ive checked through some of the older "best" hubs

Do you remember any of the links to the PR 4 hubs? I'm really curious as to what differentiates a PR 3 hub from a PR 4.

1. sunforged profile image68
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt you can manually distinguish - and I didnt make any notes of it - backlinks and age is my guess

8. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

how do you find out what your page ranks are?

You need to install the Google Toolbar on your browser. It has an icon on it that tells you the PR for ever page you visit.

I prefer seo quake - google toolbar is scary (more tracking)

Tracking? eek.... lol... care to elaborate?

Anonymous data and ( not so anonymous data) is garnered via all google products.

As a webmaster - I dont want a little piece of google following my every move

Ive started pulling analytics off many of my sites. So far its been a benefit.

1. profile image0
              ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A benefit to your earnings?

If so, how come?

*Prepares to run off and remove analytics from his hubs*

I wouldnt do that! i was able to get rid of analytics on my own sites as I can use alternate tracking software - the data is to valuable to not have any - so for Hus,b analytics it must be

The how come - I dont know - word on the street - when you like your adsense income, dont share oo much other info with them - made sense so I tried it and seemed to have immediate benefits. No proof - just keeping the "eggs in a basket theory going"

Analytics gives them more data then adsense does alone -

1. profile image0
                  Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Sunforged, I no longer use analytics either.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming you use an alternative - any recommendations?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
                    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me 3 - except here. big_smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can check the PR of any url here: http://www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php

9. lender3212000 profile image61
    lender3212000posted 13 years ago

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of them collecting all of that data either. Always best to use an outside source as long as it is accurate.

10. Lisa HW profile image62

This is what happens when a non-Internet-minded person brings "real-world" logic into the picture; but I don't really get what PR is at this point.  hmm 

I understand what Dean explained above and the concept the number, itself, runs as explained above.

What I don't get is what is actually behind that number - what, exactly, does it mean?

I have the tool installed, and it's always there.  I suppose I don't click on it very often; so things can be changing with it that I'd never notice.  Having said that, I've had Hubs that show up (in "real-world" terms) at the top of a search on the first page that shows up.   Sometimes one may show up there, move a page or two, and then maybe end up back on first page (again, "first" in my "real-world" thinking  smile  ).

If I'm paying attention, it looks as if the Hub's score/traffic and place on Google are all related.

So my question is, if a Hub is, say, 4 down on the first page for a search, is PR a completely different thing - and what is it?

I just looked up one of Hubs that earns me a decent-enough chunk each month and that's often in the 90's.  Today it's 89 (I haven't looked at earnings).  By searching the one "main" word that people would be searching for (as opposed to searching with more words that might "channel" the search toward my Hub), I found that Hub is on the second page.  It shows up as PR 3.

At this point, I'm realizing I just don't even get what PR is at all!  lol  (I'm guessing that more than a few other people may not either.)

Google is very hush about how they actually calculate page rank. What determines your rank on the search engine is a combination of page rank, quality, and the number of quality sites that link to your page.
      If you search around the net you can find a lot of people who claim to know how Google calculates page rank, but nobody really knows.

Since you're a quality writer and your hubscores reflect that, you don't really need to worry about page rank that much. The only thing you really need to do is make sure that you create a lot of quality backlinks to your pages.

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is not at all true, how Google ranks your site is kept Hush, but the actual page rank formula is calculated on the page rank of do follow links going in to your site, with a slight reduction from links going out.

This is true up until a site gets penalized for a reason such as link sales, link spam, etc.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, I'm not sure why you're even mentioning your HubScore - you do understand it has zero to do with how your Hub is ranking with the search engines, or how much it might earn?

Pagerank is a quality measure ascribed by Google.  It's on a scale from 1 to 10, and 10 is the best - but PR 3 or 4 is pretty good.  However, it doesn't necessarily tell you where your Hub will appear on search engine results - some people say it's not that important.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I've always known the Hubbers scores aren't about traffic, but I guess, based on what looks to me like some correlation between the ones with the best traffic and the ones with the 90's scores, that traffic (although, I thought,  was at least some part a factor in a Hub's score.

I now know I was completely clueless about PR until this thread, but the reason I mentioned the example score/earnings relationship was the I've seen times when a Hub will be on the first page, have a high score, earn more than usual, etc.; and then I'll see other times when the same Hub drops in score, gets moved off the front page (even sometimes only for a few days), and drops in earnings.

So now, after this thread, I do understand that PR has nothing to do with the above combo of stuff,  but I'm still under the impression (right or wrong) that the correlation between the above stuff does exist.  I guess maybe I got my own wires crossed in the midst of earlier wheel-spinning over the PR thing.  See - that's my problem the minute I start trying to think about the Google "technical stuff":  My wires cross!  hmm  I suppose hours ago when I was trying to digest the thing about 0 to 10 going in a direction direction than I've always assumed it did (lol)  I was still assuming that traffic may matter in the PR "factor".  In all seriousness, I actually am dealing with a concentration (at least when it comes to reading some things) problem these days; and it's starting to really
        show.  I'm realizing I need to stay away from the "technical" forums for a while.

Anyway, thanks for clearing it up.

11. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

From my understanding a PageRank results from a "ballot" among all the other pages on the World Wide Web about how important a page is. A hyperlink to a page counts as a vote of support. Google assigns a numeric weighting from 0-10.

PageRank denotes a site’s importance in the eyes of Google, apparently a particular page is roughly based upon the quantity of inbound links as well as the PageRank of the pages providing the links. Other factors, include relevance of search words on the page and actual visits to the page.

So I guess that is why its best to backlink each individual hub instead of only linking to your profile.

12. Shadesbreath profile image78

Dang, now I want to know lol.  Gonna have to install the damn thing and open up even more of my comps resources (and info) to Big Brother Google.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

1. LarasMama profile image60
        LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats what I thought - till I discovered that the the toolbar doesn't work with google chrome - WHAT THE? Does that make sense on any level?

13. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I once got a PR4. Didn't do nothing overly special. The hub in question is now a 3. Google gives, Google takes away *shrugs* smile

The whole Google kaboodle and surfing behaviour of the www totally tickles me. I have one hub that rarely if ever fails to peak on Fridays and Saturdays. Then it drops like a stone, only to raise itself the following weekend.

I'd love to be a web data analyst, reading online behaviours, studying what underpins folk's motivation to search on this day or that day. I love knowing the answers to why's and what for's.

1. Research Analyst profile image74
      Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most peoples behavior when it comes to search is motivated by what they see on television, from a personal experience I was watching MTV and they were doing a reality show on accutane acne therapy and after the show I went online to read more about the product and it was in google trends as the hottest search that hour.

So I came to the conclusion that television shows and commercials influence peoples search habits.

14. Shadesbreath profile image78

I checked, I have nothing higher than 3 either.  sad   I wanted to be special, dang it.

Maybe I need more pictures of sexy, hot aunties and stuff.

15. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 13 years ago

I've never heard of Google "capping" any particular website or webpage. I think it's just really hard to get enough links to get above a PR3. But if your hub had a link on the homepage of Google, I'm sure it would have a higher pagerank! smile

16. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

Perhaps the site has to be older than 3 years or something ... or older than any hub is, so the pages will gradually go from 3s to 4s to 5s in time.

17. Lisa HW profile image62

Dean, Research, thanks.  Now I get it.   

Oh well....    Nemo (of Finding Nemo) said "all drains lead to the ocean."  With Hub-writing, "all issues lead to the dreaded backlinks"  roll

(This may inspire a thread of my own.....)

18. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

It sure do pay to drop by these forums. All sorts of outstanding info on this thread. Just wanted to add my thanks.

19. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

There is no cap on PR on hubpages, or any other site.  There are Hubs out there which surpass the PR3 mark.

20. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

A nice piece of Web trivia is that Page Rank is named after its co-inventor, Larry Page, when he was a PhD student.

I've never had a hub page go above 3, but my profile sat at 4 for a time. Then, mysteriously it fell of the radar, resetting to 0.

It's all good fun, but I'd hate to be doing it for a living!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"One step forwards, two steps back, three steps forwards, oh crap! the rules have changed again" just about sums it up.

My profile is a 4 and I have seen a few 4 hubs - I think Paul mentioned there is a 5 some where.

1. Paraglider profile image89
        Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But if I was planning to try to live on adsense earnings, the first thing I'd to is move to a far cheaper place than UK or Qatar!

21. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

I have mostly PR of 0-3. I dont think I have a 4+ or seen one. To get a 4+ to one hub you would need a HELLA-LOAD of backlinks, not just normal backlinks, but a few hundred pr 4+ links (which is hard for anyone to do).

Of course that's speculation. A test would have to be conducted to know if you can have a higher PR then 3.

Experimenters:
    http://fastra.ua.ac.be/images/pic_team.jpg
    From Left to right:
    Marisa Wright Sunforged Ryankett Thranax Mark Knowles (labcoat) Cagsil (back) Darkside Shadesbreath thisisoli

~thranax~
    NOTE: This isn't really us, its a joke

22. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

I found a Pagerank of 4 on a Hub!!

It is one of Patty Inglish, MS

hubpages.com/hub/Off-The-Wall

PR: 4/10 (4 grated on 7 checkers)

Backlinks (toolbar version) = 27

So yes, it is possable.

~thranax~

Awsome! Major props for finding it!

23. Kudlit profile image61
    Kudlitposted 13 years ago

I have a PR 4 hub called "Criss Angel Magic Tricks Revealed".

And I know why it got that PR too. I linked to it from my PR6 website.

PR used to be very important in ranking in Google. Now it's only one of 200 factors that Google consider in ranking pages. We shouldn't lose sleep over it.

As long as your hub, or any page you control for that matter, is ranking for the keywords that you're targeting, then be happy.

Cool. Ya, I'm not losing sleep over it or anything, I was just wondering since I haven't seen almost any hubs over PR 3.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)