Keep it flowing.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    GW Nicholsposted 13 years ago

So we sit, bang our heads off the edge of our desks trying desperately to get out the right words, and to focus; we lock ourselves away, tell our kids to go to the movies or the mall, ask our husbands or wives to go to the movies or the mall. We search for the stillness of our minds. Yet as is my nature I'm curious. How do others keep it flowing.
    I myself use music, no lyrics generally trance, or classical when i write. What do you use?

1. packerpack profile image59
      packerpackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Complete silence is the perfect stuff for me!!

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too. Complete silence, being by myself and lots of time. Unfortunately, I never have any of them for long.....

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must agree, works for me every time

Hello MOW

Hope all is well big_smile

2. miss_jkim profile image74
      miss_jkimposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a writer I do two things, read and write.

If I get a little sluggish in my writing I go back to a book, magazine article or something I found interesting and inspiring and stir up those creative juices again.

If I’m looking for a particular moment, or emotion I might listen to some music or pop in a DVD and find that one scene that brings me as close to what I’m looking for as I can.

Inspiration takes on many forms. Each of us has our own muse.

1. Fruffles profile image60
        Frufflesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here - i usually watch a movie that has some similar elements to my story and try to put my characters into the movie while i'm watching it. I try to imagine what they would do in the certain situation, if they would avoid the mistakes or make them - stuff like that.

Silence also helps too, but my mind is so scattered that i have problems getting my mind to think about the right things lol

3. yolanda yvette profile image60
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyday things.  Mundane.  Insignificant.  Things others would overlook.  If I just let myself go and not overanalyze I can keep it flowing.

2. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

So far I haven't had a problem.  My wife says my head's so full of garbage it can't help but spill out.  I just write everything then sort through it to find the edible stuff.  I get about one good hub out of every ten.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's similar for me.  With a lifetime of "build-up" of thoughts, I just put my brain on print - and out it all comes.  I can write any time of of day or night, in solititude or in the middle of the house.  lol  I write by tv that I'm not really watching, radio that I AM listening to, and a cat that stops by to stare up at me so I'll fill her dish.   I guess I pretty much use coffee and anger  lol a good part of the time.  Then I use the need to write/think about something more pleasant for the other part of the time.

In all seriousness, one thing that I think keeps me from experiencing "block" is knowing how patiently "incubate" material before I "put my brain on print".   If I try to write before I'm finished incubating material, I'll run into problem.  Incubating can take anywhere from minutes to decades for me (lol  roll), depending on what I'm writing.  If I've been hired to write something for someone else, I still need a certain amount of "mini-incubation time" before I start writing.

For me, if I keep feeding in the raw material for "incubating" there's always something that's just reaching its "ready" stage.   If I don't have something "ready to come out of the incubator" I'll just write half-baked stuff about subjects I don't care about anyway.

BUT...    here's the catch to all that:  If I'm exhausted, too stressed for too long a time, or seem to have low blood sugar levels or else low "blood caffeine" levels - nothing's going to happen - ever.  Here's another problem:  I've found that I sometimes just get sick of hearing my own "writing voice" in my head.  If you write too much for too long (over a period of years in my case) it's like listening to your own "blah blah blah" for years.  I don't know about anyone else, but I sometimes just get so I need to tell myself to shut the h__  up for a few months, for goodness sake!   lol   

Then - I come to the forums to get to read/hear what other people's voices are saying; but then I'll see something that gets me going on yet another "blah blah blah" thing  lol  lol  and I'm back to hearing my own voice again!    lol  When that's going on I think the only way to "set it all right again" is to get away from writing for a few days, weeks, or however long it's going to take.  The odd thing about this is that it's almost as if someone (like me) who generally doesn't ever get blocked will eventually, by virtue of not ever having block, face a far more serious kind of block once too much writing eventually takes its toll.

My Hubs have actually pretty much been the product of my having already gotten into that "half-baked mode" two years ago, and needing to find a place to write where  what I wrote about didn't matter all that much (and it shows).  I have a couple of books that have been incubating and seem ready to "hatch", though - so all isn't as bleak as it seems  (maybe).

As Eliza Doolittle said (but in a very different context): Words, words, words -  I'm so SICK of words!!!      smile

3. profile image53
    My Tainted Bloodposted 13 years ago

If you are intelligent enough and gregarious enouph with your thoughts, then hub them. Careful though. There a couple of hints for success in writing. Tell it - don't say it. Another, don't overuse words like "like" and "just." Keep it simple enough for a ten year old reading level - but don't worry about the occasional large word or philosophy - kids are smart too. Does anyone have more writing suggestions? Anyway, I always have a message to get out. I think we all do. So get cracking. Empty your brain.

4. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

I hyper-focus and tune out the world and everything outside my office door. I like silence while I write. However, sometimes I like the gently hum of a fan (mechanical fan). I often look up and gaze out the window (on the top floor). Sometimes my spouse does not understand how I can stay in a room for hours and hours without talking to him or others and how I can just type and type and type. It's soothing to me---it's my therapy---it can be a spiritual experience of self-awareness and other-awareness.

5. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

Honestly, most of the time that I am writing, the kids have just gone to bed or everyone is watching a movie that I am not really into.  I don't mind the humming of family activity or the loud ruckus of an action movie blaring on the surround sound. I am with my family, I am content, and I write.  Of course sometimes it's nice to get that time of solitude when the kids go down and the hubby isn't home yet.

6. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 13 years ago

For hubs/articles I need silence.
    For creative works, I prefer soundtracks I think are relevant to the tone of the work (sad, happy, scary...).

I suck at keeping the flow going. I really need to take people's advice and just write, write, write and sort out and proof later. I'd be more prolific and successful that way. So, time to give it a go (especially with my book).

7. profile image0
    3 Finger Readerposted 13 years ago

I also prefer perfect silence and the least amount of disruption possible.

Aside from that, I've also found that I need to be as free from stress as I can--too much to worry about or think about gives me writer's block big time.  As does loss of confidence, doubt about my path, the practicality of it all, etc.

Having a steady income also helps--just enough to cover the basics.

8. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

I think Meg Chittenden summed it up very well when she said:

"Many people hear voices when no one is there.  Some of them are called 'mad' and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.  Others are called 'writers' and they do pretty much the same thing."

-

9. Sunny Robinson profile image69
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

I prefer to shut myself up in my room.  It doesn't help if I 'turn off my ear', because someone always finds a way to communicate to me via signs, gestures, or written notes.  That, and I do enjoy some noise... music, perhaps, and listening to people and dogs moving in the house.  Just as long as the noise isn't directed at me, to where I have to respond.  Yeah, shutting myself up in my room with a laptop works wonders, and I rarely get to do that.  Having doubts about that 30 hubchallenge now.

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

it depends. sometimes I take walks, go to the park, beach, someplace with lots of space and inspiration, places to clear thoughts and make room for more. sometimes I take a small notebook or just do a voice memo with the ipod. I do a lot of writing outside. it doesn't have to be necessarily quiet. sometimes I want to be around people so I'll write at a local cafe. I think I learned how to focus working with young children. you have to or go crazy.

11. kookoo88 profile image60
    kookoo88posted 13 years ago

Sheer persistance honestly.  I work 40 hours a week and after that I spend time with the family most of the time.  There is usually a lot of noise going on and the TV is within view.  *sigh*  I just re-focus and keep going.

If I don't know what I'm writing, I just make something up and hope it doesn't suck.  Usually stuff gets unstuck and it starts flowing again. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)