Does anyone read the hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Gabe Abbott profile image60
    Gabe Abbottposted 13 years ago

I published my first hub today. The first comment I got remarked that my hub was funny. It's not. I can see that maybe a scan of the first paragraph might lead a casual reader to think that the hub may be going in an amusing direction but how can the death of my wife and my subsequent decision to stop smoking be construed as amusing in any way...

I let the first one wash over me. I know that people have short attention spans nowadays. But then another came in. Obviously the commenter had not read my hub at all but simply based their input on the first inaccurate one.

I deleted it as spam. But how depressing? I don-t know what I was expecting from Hubpages, but not this lack of ... interest.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This first Hub of yours is an emotional release, I think?

It is beautifully written in many ways. Anyone who persists in reading beyond the first three paragraphs will understand what you are saying.

You opened yourself up to all kinds of reactions, because of your honesty. So, roll with the punches.

You've received excellent advice here in this forum post. If you want to continue to write on HP (your profile says you always wanted to write and now have the time, and your daughter says you need to look at this time as a new chapter in your life), roll with the punches and learn from what you hear from others.

Most of us got rocky starts here...for me, it was a place to write on topics I didn't have the chance to in my career life. For others it is to engage in a community. For others, still, it is a vehicle for an income. When first you tried to ride a bike, did you never fall?

You can make HP what you want it to be for you. Recognize that others won't always read your words the way you want them to, and then take those clues from them and work on making your words say exactly what you want them to say to the audience you intend.

Best wishes for your getting something of great value through your participation in HP.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rocky starts seem to be going around these days.  Welcome, Gabe.   Most of the time rocky starts turn into smooth sailing very quickly.    (Sorry to know of  your loss.)

2. Christopher Floyd profile image60
      Christopher Floydposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't have as much time as I'd like to read or write hubs. But there are those I can't resist. Gonna read yours now.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Maybe you should work harder to convey the right message. You can use images, and carefully consider how you word the opening paragraph.

There is a special forum, Extreme Hub Makeover, where you can post links to your new hubs and get feedback.

Better get yourself an avatar, also.

1. Gabe Abbott profile image60
      Gabe Abbottposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tried earlier to upload a picture but it didn't take. I'll try again later. I still feel the comments I have received are indicative of people not being bothered to read past the first few lines but I take your point. I have a lot to learn.

3. vanchen profile image68
    vanchenposted 13 years ago

The unfortunate truth is that many hubbers will go around and post general comments without reading much of your hub.  We all want exposure, followers... ect.

Website Examiner is right.  The best way to avoid such 'off' comments would be to have that first paragraph convey your message, using pictures and such.

And hopefully you get some hubbers who actually care about the article and leave thoughtful comments.

BTW:  Welcome to HubPages!

4. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I have read your hub from beginning to end and I found it very moving.Please stick with it and try and ignore some of the comments.  You will find a wonderful mix of hubbers, including those who post things you absolutely disagree with, those who post completely inappropriate, those who will make you laugh and others cry and those that will hurt you because they leave the wrong comment.  If you're going to pursue your love of writing, the only advice I have to offer is that you will have to develop a tougher skin.  I know you've been through the most dreadful time and things will continue to be difficult, but don't take some of the comments personally (even over the loss of Jill)

5. profile image57
    WillSniffurundiesposted 13 years ago

I have read hubs here for over a year.  Some people just use this place to try and make money and draw attention to themselves by posting comments and so forth.
    I just opened this account and I am surprised by some of what i am reading and seeing.

1. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Reading hubs for over a year and just joined?

1. profile image57
        WillSniffurundiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sort of . . . trust me on this.

1. profile image0
          selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok.
          Nice to meet you and welcome to hubpages.

6. profile image0
    selrachposted 13 years ago

Welcome to hubpages Gabe.
    I liked your hub.Give yourself time to get to understand how hubpages work,you have only been here 2 days.

Keep on hubbing and enjoy

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Yes, I do read hubs, if it matters. I have varied interests. wink

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

your first poster is actually complimenting you. I think anyone familiar with him knows he is a great hubber, and wouldn't post anything insensitive purposefully. he also says your hub is helpful and resourceful.  I think what he meant by funny is the way you use some of your words.

it's a great first hub and welcome to HP. 

and yes, some do not really read the hubs, they just make a quick comment. they usually say, great job, or nice hub.

1. katiem2 profile image61
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, you have to understand the very diverse group of people here at HubPages and take that into consideration.  always respond positively. smile

9. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I read your hub and left a comment smile

10. Thorn058 profile image69
    Thorn058posted 13 years ago

Hi Gabe, I read just the first few paragraphs of your hub and saw right away where you might get a confused reaction to it. It is all in the translation and your use of slang. Now if your reader doesn't take the time to look at you brief bio in the corner and see that you are from the UK they will miss the meaning of your words. I watch a lot of BBC programs and I still at times mistake what is being said. So while the slang word fag means a cigarette in the UK it has an entirely different connotation in the US. So when you make the statement I just can't stay off the fags people from the US will snicker because fag is slang for homosexual and a rather insulting slang term as well. So as other have said don't let little things like losing the meaning in translation stop you from writing. If you always write to please yourself you will never be disappointed. Just my two cents

11. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

That's a very interesting and observant comment, Thorn.

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's interesting for me as well, as I just read the hub and could not for the life of me see why anyone would find it even remotely funny. But then I am from the UK too.

12. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Yes, people don't read them.  But some do.  It's harder to find the ones that do.  But they are out there and if you don't let the spammers or people just trying to get traffic get to you, you will begin to accrete real readers.  Don't be discouraged.  Besides, a poor read and a comment can be just as funny sometimes as it was nearly tragic on yours.  I have gotten some comments on some of my satirical stuff that is so funny. People read the first part, think I'm being straight, and jump to the bottom and agree with me enthusiastically having missed the punchline totally.  Silver linings, my good man, silver linings.  Now I'm off to read this hub of yours.

13. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I read it too and it's a very well written article, and sad too. I agree with Thorn that you might want to re-think the slang terms. Apart from fag, a butt of a cigarette has a quite different connotation in the US. Your target audience here on Hubpages are definitely from the US, because of Amazon.com as much as anything, although of course you will get readers from every corner of the globe.
    Welcome to Hibpages smile

14. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Not to be a contrarian, but I think the diction is fine.  I'm American and I know exactly what he meant, not only by context but by frequency of use in media etc.  If he changes those very common British-isms he'll be sacrificing the authenticity of the narrative voice.  I say leave them; they are fine. They are better than fine: they are truth.

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I know what you mean about the narrative voice - this is a personal story and the words are the words, they are part of who he is; part of his character.  To change them would be to disrupt the natural flow of the writing.

15. Gabe Abbott profile image60
    Gabe Abbottposted 13 years ago

Thank you to everybody for taking the time to reply. I am sorry if I was a bit oversensitive. I never thought about the US/UK divide and I can see where my use of the slang I grew up with may have been misleading.

And for those who have taken a moment to reply on the hub itself, thank you. I look forward to getting to know everybody and sharing stories with you.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gabe Abbott, you really should not be concerned about whether registered hubpages users read hubs. It is great when you get a bit of feedback, but the money is earnt by organic search engine traffic.

I get 15000 page views per day. I am sure that many of them don't stop around and read hubs, just like I am sure you click off pages sometimes too. But then many of them do. You win some, you lose some.

Keep hubbing and, most importantly, have fun doing it. I never expected my first hub to lead to my 343rd.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm American and understand your slang perfectly. I would leave it exactly as you want it to read. that's part of what makes hub writing fascinating as we are from all over the world. [fag is also referred to as cigarettes here.]

I'll be over soon to read your hub.

16. lxxy profile image58
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Hi gang, and more specifically, Mr. Abbott! I want to publically apologise, here and now, for any misconstrued comment I may have left.

This is not, and hopefully will not be seen, as any method to gain exposure or seek some sort of "justification" for my response. In affect, I thank rebekah for her kind remarks, and I will add in my own two cents:

I do speed read a lot of hubs--and admittedly, I'm around most often when I'm publishing hubs. I do a lot of attention seeking behavior like posting to the "recommend another hubs hub," but it's all in good fun and in the spirit of meeting new hubbers in the community.

I absorb things at a different pace, and perhaps more like someone with synethesia then your average reader.

That said, I wish you the best here and I truly am sorry. I know that you understand my remark as shallow, but I assure it was genuine all the same.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the family!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TBoe2epbOJI/AAAAAAAAAPA/utsHCrcqZJY/s800/infiniflip.gif

Here's a useless gif. Hope it brings some sort of entertainment. wink

17. 4x4 profile image61
    4x4posted 13 years ago

Obviously they have  read your question and the replies in this forum and I can see that you already have a great thread going on here.

Anyway, as a relatively new hubber myself, I am sort of in the same boat as you. But knowing that people come in here for a variety of reasons, we cannot judge or prejudge anyone, especially not after a couple of comments or on our first hub.

I have gotten my fair share of comments who I believe were merely written because of some personal (even selfish or self-serving) reason.

My thing is that, in time the right people will read your hubs or at least one of your hubs. And whether they leave or not leave a comment should be immaterial or at least secondary to you helping out others, to you enjoying what you do and to you making some money while doing it--which for some is just icing on the cake.

Welcome to hubpages.

I can't say that I had the pleasure of reading your hub, but I might just do that after I'm done submitting this.

EDIT: I just did. Loved it!

18. DonnaWallace profile image60
    DonnaWallaceposted 13 years ago

This is a very interesting thread, and I see that everyone has been quite helpful, but I did want to add a quick note as well. Some readers may also find themselves in the same position as I do, where they are genuinely moved by a hub, but really don't know the best way to express it.

I read another hub today, where the writer was discussing the temptation of food and her struggles to maintain control. It was a thoughtful, insightful, and very well written piece. Yet, I couldn't find the right words to express how well it was written. I struggled with my comment, because I didn't want to say it was moving (though it was), or funny (because I understand exactly what she was saying), so I left a comment that said it was well written.

But the truth is that I did read the hub and was quite moved by it. I just didn't have the words to express how well she had done. I am sure that some of your readers will have a similar feeling as they try to leave the right comments.

19. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 13 years ago

Gabe Abbott,

There are all sorts of people in the internet.  Most readers may be from the US, but you would be surprised that over time, your readers will be global.  I am from Malaysia, and my readers are global too, in my other sites.

Be patient and keep on writing and have fun.  The forum here will give you the moral encouragement.

20. Sparhawke profile image59
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

I will never post a comment without first reading what I am commenting on and feel sad that others do this and get followers as a result...

If you cannot find any words to convey an emotion then say that, or try to give an insight to something similar you have gone through.

If you cannot think of a comment to the hub then comment on a comment lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)