Misguiding Newbies!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I see it a lot often in these forums that people misguide newbies with their confusing and wrong answers. I am not saying they do this intentionally. Maybe they need to look cool or something. That was OK with me. But lately, there is one hubber who joined about 5 months back, he is continuously misguiding new hubbers and providing wrong answers to their questions.

Any suggestions on this scenario?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

UH, the best thing to do is chime in and correct the mistaken advice when you see it.  You can start out doing it politely, but eventually you may have to hit them with a sledgehammer (i.e be rude) to get the message across that they don't know as much as they think they do!

You could also try flagging the post - strictly speaking, giving inaccurate advice isn't against any forum rules but the team might take it down if they thought it was misleading people. However, I wouldn't do that instead of making my own post - I would do it as well as.

2. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who's the person who needs correcting?

The world of SEO is ever changing and the experiences of people can differ greatly on subjects which should be pretty clear cut.

I have seen conversations which have been the blind leading the blind while being corrected by the blind (Mostly on the Warrior Forum)

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The "blind-leading-the-blind" thing I referred to isn't worth mentioning beyond acknowledging the fact that it does happen and can seem to go unnoticed.  It was awhile back and - really - it wasn't even people who are likely to still be here.  The one I had in mind had nothing to do with SEO.  (Just an aside, I've never even heard of the Warrior Forum   lol  )

1. tobey100 profile image61
          tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

One of the main reasons I try not give advice or answer too many questions.  I like to point the newbie in the direction he or she can get the CORRECT answer.  Not what I think.

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These are serious accusations. As you know, all forum postings are official with a permalink. If you want to make accusations, why not post quite a few of those links, then give the hubber a chance to defend himself - and others can judge the fairness or otherwise of what you are claiming.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1068131

Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I won't!
        I am not here to quarrel and argue. If you have figured out its you who have been misleading newbies, then you should take the advice and stop doing that. You know very well you have been talking about things you don't know of!

1. profile image0

I do not know any such thing. In fact, I will report this thread for personal attack.

Go report this thread. Do that!

Now I will post those threads, only the ones you posted in past 24 hours. I will post them when you have done the reporting and nothing has happened. smile

It is better to take advise instead of arguing!

1. profile image0

People are reading this thread now, so I would prefer if you were to post them now and give me a chance to respond.

With respect to one thread, I believe that you may have misunderstood both what I was saying and the context in which I was saying it. I had guided a hubber on a linking issue on two threads, and none of the advice was incorrect.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1068131

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/46249

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69
            Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is hardly a personal attack, although what it is interesting is the fact that you have taken it personally.

1. profile image0

Well, since I have been more active on advising new hubbers than anyone else recently, it is difficult not to take it personally.

4. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't You Dare tell them that our Christmas Party donations are not required this year! yikes

5. TerryGl profile image57
      TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I would send an email to the person to keep it private and offer an opinion to them rather then to eventually call them out in the forum.

But then again, who appointed me or anyone else to say that someone has said something wrong. I do not believe anyone here has the right to say someone is giving wrong or misguiding answers. Such a case is why we have forums, so everyone can pleasantly discuss threads and each others posts.

This thread had only one way to go when it was started and that was south. After reading the cited links, personally I did not see anything wrong with the responses Websites Examiner gave.

2. raisingme profile image75
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

And we newbies have to take some responsibility too.  When considering advice, before acting on it I check the "who" is giving that advice.  It is simple to find on Hubpages the many wonderful and helpful "older" hubbers that have worked hard to establish a solid reputation.  It is those hubbers whose advice I listen to, weigh and act upon.  When you are new to anything or any area of life it of great benefit to find the best mentors that are capable of and willing to lend themselves to the success of others.  Just one of the reasons I'm loving it here.  And the two names that appear at the top of this forum are two of the best!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

raisingme, you may be relatively new; but you're right about those two Hubbers (and I'm not new, so I've been around long enough to see how valuable their input is).   smile   Your approach is one all new people should use.

2. Sparhawke profile image61
      Sparhawkeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also listen to the more experienced users but I never discount the answers of the newbies either...just because they do not have as high a postcount does not make their opinions any less worthy.

Unless they are idiots, then it is open season for the ridicule.

What you have to ascertain is whether it is intentional to mislead or if they are simply misinformed...I often get pieces of information wrong such as dates or times (since numbers mean next to nothing to me) but someone coming along usually gets nearer the answer in time.

I am not here to do al the work for someone, I prefer to lead them to a place where they can find out for themselves; however long that takes smile

3. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are so right.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Not long ago I saw a real case of the blind-leading-the-blind, and I started to "chime in" and then just started to think the whole thread was best left to someone else.  I don't know...   It just looked like none of them took the HubPages thing the least bit seriously, so I figured they'd be moving on soon anyway.

Usually, though, I'll add something like, "I think .....", figuring they may not know who to believe, but at least they'll know they shouldn't just accept whatever they're getting on the thread as "gospel" and, instead, wait until some answers seem to agree with other answers.  In other words, I don't say the other person is incorrect.  I just say what I think (which, of course, conflicts with what the other person said).

4. jondav profile image69
    jondavposted 13 years ago

My rule is that unless i'm 1000% sure of an answer i would rather not post anything.

The right thing to do!

2. itech profile image65
      itechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remove One zero for my surety...

5. bigmikeh profile image70
    bigmikehposted 13 years ago

There is alot of doubtful advice on HubPages, but that's no surprise - there's alot of doubtful advice all over the net. And when it comes to SEO there are so many different opinions based upon what may have worked for one individual, with one site in one  niche.

I tend to go to reputable sources for clarification, eg, there are loads of Matt Cutts (Google) videos on YouTube where he destroys many of the SEO myths.

6. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Website Examiner, you were so keen to post that link. I didn't want to post the ones you were giving wrong advice and wanted it to be a general discussion. But see this:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/46384#post1067011

I am sure I can find more like this one and I am not willing to go through your hubtivity. The waste of time is one of the reasons I didn't want to argue about it.

1. profile image0

I could have been more precise in my wording, and I conceded this immediately on that thread. I also clarified what I had meant and stand by that statement.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1067563

Listen WE, the clarification was not needed. Misleading information has been provided by you on more than one occasions lately. If you think I am attacking you in my posts, then let me tell you I am not.

I would again recommend you to only talk about things you know of, otherwise you are better off just bumping the threads for others to answer. Take the advice if you want to and save both of us some time and energy.

1. profile image0

Ultimate Hubber, I have learned nothing from you. Nothing of what you are saying makes sense to me. You could have contacted me directly with your concerns.

Good idea, I should have contacted you. But I didn't want this thread to be what it has become. I just wanted to have suggestions from other hubbers on the misguiding issue. You came here and took it personally.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

To me, if I don't know the correct answer or I am not sure, I will not give advice about it. I usually point them towards the FAQ if I don't know.

All in all, it is best that people read the official documentation rather than depend on others to help them.

1. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One of your good points in the forums.I have noticed that you don,t just give your best guess,but point people in the right direction.

8. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

UH, I think you read my mind when you started this thread. Fortunately, in almost every case that I've seen of bad, misleading or confusing advice by relative newbies, more experienced hubbers/online professionals have chimed in to set things straight.

And yes--those folks listed at the top of this forum are some of the best of the best.

9. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

Five months sounds about right.  I've seen plenty of hubbers having spent a few days reading the work of Darkside, Mark Knowles, Misha, etc. turn into an SEO expert overnight around that point, spewing out half-understood sound-bites all over the shop.

But being sent down a few blind alleys at the start is all part of the game, and a good learning experience in itself.

10. raisingme profile image75
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

The only problem with blind alleys and learning is that you can go down one of them and get yourself into trouble or worse you can go down one of them thinking that you know when you don't know.  It is a really deadly alley to get out of that don't know you don't know alley.  I look at how long someone giving the advice has been on hubpages, what kind of feedback they have in their comments, what do their profiles say about them, how much experience do they have around the web in general - website, blogs etc.  I do not immediately act on the advice.  I read it and reread it, bookmark it, refer to it and when I have certainty that I understand it and can fully duplicate it (not as in copy but as in "get it") I proceed from there.  It's an education, getting an education is a process.  Sometimes when I am reading advice and tips and how to's from "older" hubbers I wonder that I will ever get to the level of proficiency that they have attained.  I value highly those who go beyond mediocrity!

11. Julian Hooks profile image40
    Julian Hooksposted 13 years ago

Lol I see wrong information littered all over the links I just took time to skim over. When I want to know something about lets say Google pagerank, I go to the source aka Google. They provide all the information you need to know about the matter.. I mean they did create it. YouTube the Google Webmaster channel and I bet you'll come to find half of the things you thought were true aren't.

For example I just found out that Google DOES NOT factor in keyword metatags in to their search rankings! Title and Description are important but keyword meta tags mean nada to Google algorithm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)