Surprising first page rank

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Anything to do with Disney is very hard to rank for. So I was surprised that I'm on the front page for "disney fourth of july 2010".

It's from a blog of mine. I'm also on the first page for the same phase for Universal studios and Sea World. smile

Too bad it will only get traffic for a few days, as the 4th is almost here. sad

So long tail phases can be had even with low ranking sites.

2. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 13 years ago

Bill,
    What's your blog's name? Google rankings can vary depending on where you live, and if you have "personalized search" enabled...
    I checked here in California to see how you're doing and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. smile
    In any event, congratulations!

Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi there CarpetDiem. I'm not sure if I should say as it would be like promoting my site, and the mods don't like that.

I don't have my personalized search on when I did that so I know it's ranking there for everyone. It's the 9th one right now on the first page and it has Disney, Universal Studios and Sea World all in the title. smile

3. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

Hi Bill,

I don't see it on the first page.  It could have popped up there, then disappeared.

I'm not sure if you're already familiar with this - I can't tell from your post.  But just in case....These days, Google personalizes pretty much all searches to favor sites we visit a lot and other criteria.  It's not an "opt-in" thing anymore.  It's very hard to avoid. "True" or "absolute" SERP ranking doesn't even exist anymore, as search results aren't identical even from search to search. 

Finding out how others MIGHT see you involves using more than one computer in different geographical locations, deleting all cookies & search history, not using the Google toolbar, & being logged out of all Google accounts.  And probably more!

True. Then again maybe you don't see it because your favorites show up first, pushing it back. Actually there is a code you can put into any search that will make it a "real" search.

However as you said, these days everyone's searches turns up what they seem to search for. So everyone's is a bit different.

That kind of really screws up how you try to get ranked high for a hub or site. It's almost not going to matter anymore as everyone sees their own fav's.

I'm looking forward to the bing and yahoo merger and their new SE. smile

2. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Fiction Teller that IS very disappointing news.  Not that I'm shooting the messenger!

I too have been very excited over the past week or so to see that my hub on the Old Quarter in Hanoi was moving very quickly up the rankings.  In fact it got to number two spot.  I was ready to break open the champagne (French of course - purchased with all my earnings) but after your posting I am crushed and I'll have to stick to beer! sad

4. Fiction Teller profile image61

@ Bill,

I haven't heard of the "real" search code - thank you for sharing that.  Do you know more about how it's used?  My first instinct is to wonder how it would make a difference, as Google's personalizing pretty much everyone's results.  It's kinda like the old question: How valuable are in vitro results for predicting life in vivo? 

@ travelespresso,

Darn, didn't mean to make you depressed.   I put it badly.  Personalized results don't mean what you see is meaningless.  The results aren't always equally "personalized" - meaning sometimes they're pretty similar across the board, depending on the keyword and what Google knows and stuff. It just means you have to dig deeper to get a sense of how you're ranking in real life. 

You can test it to some degree by doing the search in lots of different places, and repeatedly in the same place, periodically.  Also, if your search results say that you're number one or on the first page or whatever, but you're not getting the traffic to reflect that, you can probably assume it was a "false positive."

On a practical user level, I like personalized results - sometimes.  On a philosophical level, and to the degree that the search engine is still very unsophisticated artificial intelligence, I don't like it at all.

I have not used the code myself. I was told that by adding &pws=0 onto the url after performing a search Google will perform a fresh search with no personal settings.

But again, since most are set up with personal settings it does not make much difference.

I do think general searches from people on subjects they don't search often gives more "true" results. smile

2. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's OK Fiction Teller - you know that I was joking! It's really good to hear about this stuff! 

Besides the heat here (northern Vietnam) means a beer is more welcome than champagne.  I never thought I'd ever that though! lol lol

5. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I found your blog article at #8 on my Google search, Bill.

Thanks, it's nice to know it's not just my personal settings! smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always appreciate it when others confirm my first page rankings for me and I'm glad to return the favor!  Hope it brings in the bucks for you!

6. Fiction Teller profile image61

@Bill:

You said:
    I do think general searches from people on subjects they don't search often gives more "true" results.

I agree.  It's that geographical thing that's the worst culprit, at least with my searches.  I do searches on other regions than where I currently live, and it confuses Google now.

And - holds head in shame - after Randy's post, I did the search again and found you.  Either on my first attempt I typed in "4th" instead of "fourth" - the most likely scenario - or things changed, which I doubt. 

I'm westerly rather than easterly, so I don't think geophysical location is operating - if it were, maybe I'd have seen Disneyland results...?

Randy, if you're still there...I just saw that you're in southern GA.  I've been to the Okefenokee, and I remember it as so very beautiful. And Brunswick stew...nothing like what passes for Brunswick stew up north...!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Okefenokee is just the largest of the swamps in this area FT!  Some are quite beautiful and full of wildlife too!  I live near a swamp called "No Man's Friend."  Gives you an idea of the terrain, huh?  And yes, Brunswick stew down here is different than that from further north.

In fact there is a dispute between Brunswick, Georgia and Brunswick county Virginia as to which place and ingredients was the origin of the dish!  No doubt as to which I prefer!

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

use scroogle

I rank for some disney terms relating to the pin trading category - my aunt is a big collector and seller so I did the work to get her ranked - get some residuals from the pages I used to  rank her

8. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I dont see anything that fits that description on front page though smile

hopefully your customers do though! Good Luck and well done

9. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

In your web stats for your blog, does it let you know how many people are actually getting to your site via a search for disney fourth of july 2010?

Yes, I have awstats and the whole c-panel stuff. But it only updates once a day and this is a new post. So I'll have to wait until later today when it updates.

I'm sure it's not much, maybe an extra 20 a day or so. But I also rank for the same phase but with Universal and Sea World. So maybe an extra 60 or so.

I did make 4 bucks more than normal with adsense the other day on that site. In a few days however it will not bring in anything since the 4th will be over.

10. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Check your google rankings on http://www.scroogle.org, it removes personalization from google search.

Interesting. On that I'm #12 for the Disney term, #4 for both Universal Studios and Sea World. Nice site. smile

1. thisisoli profile image73
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You probably rank higher in your browser view because Google has tracked you visiting Hubpages, and that Hub inparticular!

12 isn't bad, a few more backlinks and it could ahve been on teh first page, bring on 2011!

2. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
      Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe there are more postings on this subject and i just don't know how to find them on the next page....but did you know that now when you go to scroogle.org, a message comes up and says as of June 30, we can't do this search anymore.

1. thisisoli profile image73
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it didn't come up for me, and it is still working on July 1st!

1. Neil Ashworth profile image42
          Neil Ashworthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nop.. you'll find it is no longer!! Poor scroogle..

11. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Good one Ajay, nice way to get banned.

12. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Does anyone have any tips to move up the search ranks, I have been on the first page for my website about the Ryder Cup, The keywords are Ryder Cup newport..but I got knocked back to the first on the 2nd page today hmm
    Ive added RSS feeds to the page, Bookmarks and keywords

1. TerryGl profile image58
      TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have had some very good success using http://www.verifiedfile.com/seo/ where you put in your domain name. I choose 50 sites.

What it does is it opens new tabs on sites such as Alexa, Whois and how much is my site worth. It builds a page about your site. This is a good way to get in the serps and improve position. These sites have huge page rank.

Word of warning, don't do the massive backlinks and use this tool gradually over the coming weeks.

13. Business Info profile image61
    Business Infoposted 13 years ago

this is a perfect example of how the allintitle: search in google can help you, have been discussing it in another thread.

try the search on this term

http://www.google.com/search?q=allintit … amp;num=10

you can see there's hardly anyone optimized for it so it would be pretty easy to get if you wanted it

14. rmcrayne profile image91
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Am I missing something with AdWords?  Looks to me like no one is searching "disney fourth of july 2010"--"not enough data".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)