Rating a hub... "Excellent"

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. KKalmes profile image60
    KKalmesposted 13 years ago

I would like to be able to rate a hub "excellent"... useful is self-explanatory, as is funny and beautiful, but I think their is a difference between "awesome" and "excellent" and I would like to rate many of the hubs I read "excellent" rather than awesome.

Awesome seems inspiring...

Excellent seems well done with enthusiasm...

1. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.   In the US (at least) "awesome" is a word kids were using in (I think) the eighties.  Some adults started using it.  (I never did, because I pretty much have a thing about traditional use of words.)    Now I think the dictionary even includes that use of "awesome".

So, for people like me (or people from other countries, maybe), who think of "awesome" in its traditional definition, it would take a whole lot to rate a Hub "awesome".  If what HubPages was has in mind as "awesome" is the eighties version of the word, it isn't even in my vocabulary or some other people's vocabulary for the reasons I just mentioned.  These days, a lot of people use "awesome" instead of "good" or "great". 

I'd rather see "excellent" too (or else have someone point out whether "awesome" should be used in the traditional way or in the eighties way.   lol  (Just out of curiosity, I'm going to your profile to see if it shows whether you're from another country or a generation that came of age before "awesome" was thrown around the way it is these days, or the "other planet" from which people who want to preserve traditional English grammar come.  lol )

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The idea is good but ( after Lisa HW ) the English language does not benefit much by depreciating words by constantly increasing the value by adding more and more associated words tht have marginally different meanings - Excellent means that it excels which is what it does - a hub does not AWE us, Vast things like sunsets or god for  some people, and occasionally some amazing feat that we know we could never do might awe us, or amaze us, with the high level of skill.

Fashion words come from low level sources like comics that over-exaggerate as part of the genre.  They are kids words which is ok but are maybe not so suitable on an adult forum, a writers forum at that smile

Sorry to be pedantic but I am an English teacher is my only excuse.

2. starqueen13 profile image60
      starqueen13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow i totally understand that

1. Lisa HW profile image64
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

starqueen, AWESOME!!!!  Glad you do.   smile

china man, maybe one of us ought to head over to that "argument" thread and see if we can aggravate a few people with our attitudes about the English language...    hmm  I'm with you on the language thing.  It's just that I accept that other people have their own approaches to using the language.  Of course, I come from a generation that introduced the word, "groovy" (and a whole lot of other "gems"), so I had to develop a tough resistance to a lot of those "come-and-go"/generation-related words if I didn't want to sound like a moron.   lol

3. KKalmes profile image60
      KKalmesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for such great comments... they are 80's awesome and I think we should push for excellent... I think very often you may get a thumbs up, but no rating because the options are too limiting or too much in the case of awesome as in inspiring.

2. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

I'd rather it be excellent, as well.

What I'm not sure about is what qualifies as 'beautiful'? poetry? I don't see a purpose for this one, unless poetry is the only thing it really qualifies for.

I'd rather see 'was this hub helpful? yes or no

That's the typical question on most article writing sites.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think excellent would be a nice addition. excellent would be top notch in every way, content, layout, grammar, appearance. did I enjoy reading it? 
    useful may not be excellent, but useful in some respect to the reader.

I have used all of them after reading a hub. sometimes my first response is awesome or beautiful, funny..  to me beautiful means someone truly expressed their topic,  not necessarily always being positive or uplifting, but expressive. a hub can even look beautiful as well.

4. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

On "beautiful" - I think, besides the occasional Hub that may just make a person think, "beautifully done" as far as the writing goes, there are also a lot of Hubs that are well written but that have extras, like a collection of amazing/breathtaking photographs that make the Hub really stand out as "beautiful".  They aren't something you run into all that often, but when you do "beautiful" is the word they bring to mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)