What Have You Learned From Your Children?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (25 posts)
  1. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

My children have been my greatest source of inspiration and my greatest teachers.  I feel that I have learned more from them then I could ever teach them.  What have you learned from your children that has made you a better person?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

such a beautiful post! 
      I feel very much the same.

compassion, support, listening and understanding, trust, hope, love, using our gifts and talents..
      my two sons are in their 20's now and lost their father while still quite young. they continue to show me perseverance, taking responsibility and making things happen, not waiting for life to do it for us. they also make me laugh a lot! I feel extremely fortunate to be their mother. they show me possibilities are only limited by our own minds, to shoot for the stars and go beyond. it is thrilling to watch them grow and begin to accomplish their dreams.

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

to be a better grandpa

3. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

To be more patient.  Patient with their mistakes, patient with myself (it takes a lifetime to learn how to be a mom), patience with the little things that might drive you mad in everyday life...

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was going to say - there is no one to teach you patience like a child!

4. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

I've learned Grace and forgiveness from my oldest two children in the past week...they are both in their mid-20's, and learned last week of the death of their biological father, who they hadn't seen, or spoken to, in over 10 years due to his battles with alcohol and drugs.

When faced with the responsibility of either paying for his burial, or letting the city do it at no cost to them, they both made the decision to pay for it themselves, each using all of the savings they had.

They just couldn't stand the thought of him having a cold, impersonal burial, even after all he had put them through. They have put aside all the differences they'd had with him, and, hopefully, now will have some peace.

My husband and I are so very proud to be their parents...

Tammy and Tom Cornett

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is so touching.  You have raised fine children.

1. TamCor profile image82
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Flightkeeper--I really appreciate that... smile

5. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Spit-up stains. Permanently.

6. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Five boys is three too many!!!

7. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

That I don't know everything I think I know, and I don't play enough. In case I have any doubts about the effects my parenting has, my son gladly replays it for me with the dog so that I can see just how he interprets whatever I do.

8. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Ooh, good question!

I've learned: to be more patient, how to multi-task, to put up with some back ground noise while attempting to concentrate on whatever it is I'm trying to do, to overlook what I don't like in order to compromise, to negotiate, to speak up in a crowd when necessary, and most importantly, how to love.

9. lisabeaman profile image69
    lisabeamanposted 13 years ago

I've learned different things from each of them. From my oldest I gained a better understanding of unconditional love. From my middle child I grew in my faith in helping her overcome her fears. I regained joy from my youngest who constantly reminds me not to take life too seriously.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...to love

11. Dobson profile image76
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

My children are a great joy. I have learned to wipe away all pretense and look at things from a child's perspective. As I worte in my hub about what my son said I learned that burning something is actually "putting fire on it." I had never thought of it like that before.

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

A lot about myself and society and the world as a whole. See my parenting hub for one of the examples. And I'm still learning. smile

13. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

My children have shown me how many possibilities remain in this world.  They are limited only by their imagination...  They don't care for physics, and have so many ideas of ways to improve what already exists, as well as ideas for things that have no name.

They have also shown me how many things can be accomplished through team work.  When they get an idea and everyone involved has a good attitude, they can move mountains or at least create them and bend steal to meet their requirements.

14. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Sincere bravery and dedication, dog-ged determination, devotion to duty and ideals, discipline, laughter, great level of achieving success, courage to stand for what you believe, setting a goal...and attaining it, self-sacrifice, accomplishment of the highest order...I could go on...but I still would miss a few...you probably can sense the great respect I have for my children and what they have been able to do!

15. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 13 years ago

To just BE.

16. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

My children reminded me how to notice the little things, like the funny-looking bug hanging on a leaf, or the weird shape of a tree trunk.

17. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

My daughter is 12 1/2 and I learn from her everyday.  She inspires me to be the greatest, happiest, most grateful person and mom.  I love her so much. big_smile

18. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

The greatest thing that I learned from my kids was....

How to use a mobile phone... lol...

Still only use it dial numbers and receive calls but they seem to spend hours with theirs..

19. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

My daughter has shown me lots of times how to set the timer on the video recorder, but i still forget.

20. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

I am loving these answers - all of them.  Children have a way of bringing out the best us if we allow them to.  It is wonderful to see a forum full of parents that have a deep appreciation and respect for the gifts our children bring to our lives.

21. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

That you can give birth to somebody, who is completely different from you.
    That because of them you've become a better and stronger person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)