What is the story behind your fear to the dentist?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (33 posts)
  1. dentist83 profile image61
    dentist83posted 14 years ago

What is the story behind your fear to the dentist?

1. jiberish profile image78
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He looks like Dr. Kavorkian

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Cost of crowns and the lectures about not being a good patient.

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

My last dentist screwed up my jaw so now whenever I yawn it constantly pops!

1. Gemsong profile image62
      Gemsongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here. Another doctor diagnosed the result as TMJ. It hurts to open my mouth wide. It constantly cracks now.

He had to remove a bad molar with roots that grew toward each other. he had to cut it in half to remove it. He claims he sprained his wrist trying to pull it out.

His attitude sucked too.

It's not fear. It's massive dislike.

4. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

I fear going to the dentist because it is always something going wrong with my teeth.  Then I have to pay all this money to them.

5. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The big long needle and the words, "you'll just feel a pinch".

6. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

When I was a teenager I was given gas for a tooth extraction, only they didn't wait until I was asleep before they pulled it out.  Tooth extraction with no anaesthetic not to be recommended!

7. Helen Cater profile image59
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

At age 5 listening to the screams of my sister was enough to scare me half to death. I have to have injections just to have my teeth cleaned now. I wish I could go without having a sleepless night before hand.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I don't know 'bout no one else, but it's called PAIN! smile Ever see The Little Shop of Horrors? hehe

9. shamelabboush profile image51
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

Being drilled mercilessly is my utmost fear. ALso, the needle which he injects in your gum is supposed to numb you, but the pain of the needle is enough to wake you up all night..

10. profile image48
    PirateGirlposted 14 years ago

I just have a fear of people who stick things in my mouth !

11. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I was fine until a year ago. Never loved going but never minded either. Now I do. It's not so much the going, the dentist - as what might go wrong.

Had a difficult extraction (wisdom) - no anaesthetic. Hooked root, had to split the tooth and then cut/dig it out. The pain was disgusting. Even child birth didn't come close - and at least you have a beautiful baby at the end. All I ended up with was a fear of the dentists, a stitched up mouth, bruising and a whole new bunch of pain. Longest 40/45 minutes of my life.

The dentist thought it would help to tell me it was the worst extraction he'd ever done. It didn't help neutral

12. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Been my experience to not be cornered something that you know is meaner than you.

13. steffer profile image61
    stefferposted 14 years ago

the sound of those drills they use, and the shot ofcourse.
    but now luckely for me, i don't have to bother with it anymore.

A month ago, i have had all my teeth extracted in the hospital, and so i have fals teeth now, no more drills and toothache anymore

14. profile image48
    PirateGirlposted 14 years ago

This scene from the Marathon Man wud put you off your Dental Visit, enjoy smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQ7KMCrPLE

15. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I don't mind the dentist, but my father is petrified of going because when he was younger the dentist took out one of his good teeth instead of the bad one!

16. dentist83 profile image61

A little advise.  If you treat cavities before they are too big(making them far from the pulp or nerve)  the experience can be almost pain free.  Now if you leave the grow until it has broken the tooth, leaving you with the option of an extraction, you have to know that you will need like 2 o 3 more little pinch, and even you have anesthesia and you will not feel pain at all, you may still feel some pressure during extraction that will probably scare you.  So this is the "rationale":  Soon or later you will have to go to the dentist: Go early to receive less injections.  Is not that better?

17. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The dentist pulled out my tooth and it fricken hurt!

18. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I used to have severe asthma and allergies, so I breathed through my mouth. Going to the dentist was hell because I thought I was going to suffocate, and the dentist was very unsympathetic.   I also hated needles (still do). So I used to dread dentist visits.

When I was about 20, I went to a dentist in another city.  I was told I needed two fillings.  When I cringed at the idea of a needle, he said, "Why don't we do it without anaesthetic?"

I was horrified at first, but something about his manner reassured me.  He promised he would check in with me throughout and give me a shot if I wanted it. 

He did both fillings with no anaesthetic and it was great - no pain, I actually felt better being able to feel what he was doing, and afterwards I didn't have a numb drooly mouth.

After that, I got over my fear of dentists.

19. R P Chapman profile image59
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

1) I saw the marathon man when I was young.

2) When I was in my early twenties I had a crown in my upper set. Problem was the dentist was a butcher. I don't remember everything that happened as I actually passed out from the pain.

I didn't go to the dentist again for a long, long time.

3) A couple of years ago I got tooth ache. Turned out I had a cyst in my lower jaw. The operation involved peeling the gum away from my lower teeth to remove the cyst (it was about 2 inches long). This whole process equated to about 6 months of pain.

I got a new dentist during the last saga and he's good.Did a root canal only last week and it was relatively painless.

...and now my fear is cured!

20. dentist83 profile image61

Honestly, Does the dental anesthesia hurts you during caries treatment, or is just that you are too much scare?  I ask you this because the only place where dental anesthesia should be painful is at palate(roof of the mouth) area for anatomic reason.  The only patients of mine who complain about pain, are the ones which had extraction, where i am suppose to give anesthesia to palate.  But during caries treatment, i usually do not touch the palate;patient still afraid,  but after the injection i ask them if it hurst them and the 90% say it didn't.  Tell me your impressions.  I really like to read all your comments, and I thank you all for that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm one of those odd people who do find it painful.

I know that for most people, it's just the anticipation and the fear that cause the perception of pain. Doctors injecting your arm will tell you to close your eyes or turn your head away, then they tap your arm a few times and do the injection in between - and that works for a lot of people. I still jump out of my skin when the needle goes in.  Hypersensitive, I guess.

And if fear was an issue, then I think I would have been complaining of pain during the caries treatment without anaesthetic - and I didn't.

21. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Can you paint teeth?

dentist83posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paint teeth?  No but you can lick  lollipops and they are quite effective.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah! I don't like lollies. I just wanted to piss my wife off and embarass my son all in one shot. Any ideas?

dentist83posted 14 years agoin reply to this

JAJAJAJA.  Not really.  You can put some gold as before in the front tooth.  That wold be totally  out of fashion but will work for your aim

2. Faceless39 profile image91
      Faceless39posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can definitely paint them, and people do.  Saw it in my hygiene books.  However, I'm not sure what they use!  Looked like nail polish, but I can't recommend that.

22. dentist83 profile image61

Tell you a secret.  The most braves patients are woman!!,
    The male patients are kind of coward jaja. At least that is my experience in my dental chair.

23. geminimoon profile image60
    geminimoonposted 14 years ago

THE DAM PAIN!!!!

24. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

It began at 17 when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and the dentist left behind pieces of two of my teeth, which cause my face to swell up-and gums to get infected. When they removed the left over pieces, they left behind gauze that they had stuffed into the empty cavity of where my tooth once was. About three days later, I was having trouble swallowing and breathing and hadn’t eaten in days-and nothing was improving/but getting worse. When I returned to the dentist and they discovered they had once again left something behind (gauze) they had to split open my gums to drain the infection and then clean it out before they stitched it all back up and sent me home. Ever since, I haven’t been too fond of the dentist

25. dinkan53 profile image72
    dinkan53posted 13 years ago

I think patients worry about bills only when they are not in pain. And if there is pain they won't worry about their pockets.

26. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

When I went to the dentist to have my wisdom teeth out not only did they leave pieces and tell me they will come out on their own, they also drilled holes in my molars due to my wisdoms coming in sideways. Now half of my teeth in the back are broken because of the holes they drilled and wouldn't fix. Now I have an appointment to have them all fixed but I don't want to for fear of them coming out worse and me still being in pain all the time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)