Going to the dentist and ...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (44 posts)
  1. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

... I'm terrifed. I'm saving the full throttle performance for when I get there in 4 hours 45 minutes. It may including begging/pleading/ducking/diving/my arrest.

Please feel free to leave useless advice. I've tried useful advice with no success.

Always fine with such things, until a very botched wisdom tooth extraction. I'm supposing everything would have been fine - were I asleep at the time.

Thankyou in advance smile and neutral

1. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - it is going to be eye-poppingly painful and you are going to be so terrified that you will piss yourself when that damn drill starts whizzing !  Then when it is over you will think "what was that all about" - until the next time big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe.....just focus on the ICE CREAM that you'll deserve after your visit.   Everyone deserves, and gets, I hope, ice cream afterwards! smile

3. profile image0

Wait....

You weren't asleep at the time????!?

That's just so wrong!   I had all my  wisdom teeth taken out at the same time.  Right before I fell totally asleep, I could feel the pressure of the drill or whatever it was;  then I thankfully felt nothing after that.  But for a week afterward it sure did hurt!   I definitely couldn't have made it if I hadn't been put under anesthetic.   Please tell me you didn't feel the whole process??

frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup. Awake. Think it was about 40 minutes. I did have anaesthetic but try telling a dentist that it doesn't work with an infection.

It had a hook root too. He didn't extract so much as dig/cut it out. I'm not sure exactly, I couldn't see. After 15 minutes I was in a mess. Simple fact is it shouldn't have been done either whilst I was awake or until an anaesthetic would have worked. Probably the former, due to the root and position.

The effort made me look like I'd been chinned by a boxer afterwards. It wasn't something I bargained for when I went in. But for my partner being with me I may well have lost the will to stay seated.

1. profile image0

Did you hit the dentist afterward?
          I don't usually condone violence, but in that case I probably would've hit him myself!

No lol I didn't. I was too upset. You know - we're talking completely heartbroken. And my partner was with me. There was nothing to be done. Before we realised what was going to happen, it was too late and I just had to sit through it. And I wasn't brave either. I cried real hard smile

1. profile image0

I hope things go good for ya today.
              Remember the ice cream!  Even if your lips and jaws are numb, the taste buds in the back of the tongue will still love the ice cream, I'm tellin' ya!

1. timorous profile image81
                timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just don't let the ice cream make its' way into the newest dental work yikes

2. dentistsfareham profile image59
        dentistsfarehamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, you soppuse to just feel the pull and push. They normally inject you to num the place where they going to drill.

4. Ben Evans profile image63
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Keep your eyes closed and dont look at the needle.  I cant get beyond the needle.  Once your mouth is numb, the rest is a peice of cake.

2. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Stop thinking the worst. The past is not necessarily bound to be repeated.  Sounds like you should get a new dentist.  Ask friends about their experiences, or recommendations.

Or show up at the dentist office wearing one of those big old underwater diver's helmets. lol

Good luck FD.
    BTW...let us know how it went smile

3. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Try some hypnotherapy? Hypnotherapy can calm you down before the visit and you can self hypnotise yourself while you are in the dentist's chair to feel no pain or panic.

But I really sympathise with you frogdropping, as I loathe going to the dentist as it terrifies me!

4. frogdropping profile image77

Loving it guys - keep 'em coming. Go on ... be really horrible! Actually making me smile. Temporarily of course.

Why the hell do dentists rattle so many people? I've had operations, incidents and accidents that'd make your hair curl - none of which bother me now.

Anyone a dentist? Can someone tell me ... ´why?´wink

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey froggy! I'm happy to hear that you'll only have to have a filling. I'm currently living with an impacted, broken wisdom tooth that I cannot afford to have removed because its roots are twisted like a claw and the surgery will cost about a thousand dollars that I don't have. It's a pain, literally.

Anyway, I think the reason the dentist inspires fear is that the mouth is one of the three intimate orifices - there's nothing more violating (even if you're prepared for it) than having some...professional stranger probe around in one's mouth, anus, or vagina (or urethra, if you're a guy). Sorry to be crude...that's just why I think it gives people the creeps....other than bad experiences. I wish you the best of luck!!

Ohhhh you poor poor bugger neutral Pretty much that's what my problem was. Or rather - the dentist that removed it didn't realise the mess the root had gotten into. Found out only after he started extracting it.

But - I do advise you to have this done whilst sleeping. I can't beging to tell you how horrifying it is to be awake. Mine cost (all told) about €280, maybe more or less, I can't quite remember. I also had a filling, a top up filling, a tooth repaired and a polish.

Luckily, now I'm in the UK, I have an exemption certificate and don't have to pay. So whatever does need doing will be free. I so wish you could go into hospital and have it removed. My fingers are crossed for you.

1. megs78 profile image60
          megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

here's a quick trick frogdropping!  take a gravol or two a half hour before your dentist visit.  you will feel more relaxed and less anxious.  i have real dentist fear myself for good reasons and have to talk myself down everytime from bolting or vomitting.  gravol has helped in the past.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Smoke some pre-meds before going to calm down!

6. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Are you booked in for two-thirty?

19:30 London/Lisbon time - or whatever they call it now smile

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter what time it is I'm always there for tooth-hurty. wink

Lol I completely missed that. See - in my ridiculous state it went right over my head!

Funny though - an sooooo not appropriate, thanks big_smile

7. dcladesigns profile image60
    dcladesignsposted 13 years ago

When I had my wisdom teeth knocked out, I had local, gas and IV anesthesia.

You know when they have you count backward from 100. Yeah I got to 96 or so before I was out. The scary part was they put a heartbeat monitor on my finger and it beeped when my heart beat. When I went under I didn't hear it beeping anymore and I thought I was dead...really.

I guess you just need to get a new dentist.

8. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Focus on that beautiful whirring sound and it will make you more aware of the nose hairs of that butcher who is about to take out on you... all the bad things that happened to him this morning when his wife crashed the car. yikes

But hey you'll only look stupid with those numb lips for an hour afterwards. hmm

And if you can't see his nose hairs through his mask... focus on the mask and watch how much he dribbles in it. yikes

Honestly FD it is no worse than welping Tadpoles mate smile

9. frogdropping profile image77

Ahhh thankyou PD, exactly what I did or didn't need. I will tell you in a few hours whether that A)helped or B)becomes a part of my excuse when the law arrives to remove my gibbering form from the hospital smile

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Good luck Pretty Froggy smile

11. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

I had planned on writing about my nightmare with a dentist last week but I'll show some compassion and wait until you're back!

12. timorous profile image81

Hey frogdropping..here's something you don't want to read.  So if you've gotten this far, and you haven't been to the dentist yet, STOP NOW! and read later.

I've had 3 root canals done over the last 25 years.  All under local aneasthetic.  I could just barely feel the drilling going on.  However, the worst part was those damn little files they use to ream out the roots with.  Those roots will still have live nerve endings at the bottom of them (each tooth can have up to 4 roots).  Worst thing ever..I know pain yikes yikes  believe me.  Good thing it's temporary.

Fortunately my dentist is a real pro, and I know it was done properly.  Hurt like hell for a few days each time though.

13. frogdropping profile image77

Well I went. I won't give you the needle to thread account but after waiting 27 minutes (I was clock watching) I almost bolted. It's hard sitting facing fears on your own, however silly, real or otherwise they may be.

As bolting point drew near, I was called. Fab dentist. Shame he's tucked away in a hospital, no (I suppose) follow ups for how his patients get on.

Anyway - he looked at my tooth and informed me he wouldn't extract it. It is more than savable, providing I can get it filled in the next few weeks.

Still not looking forward to it but at least I held my fear in and went. For the record - I threw up before hand. Fear is a horrible thing smile

@timorous - Christ! That's vile. I've never had a root canal and would probably say 'no ta' to one.

Misha thankyou. I survived wink

Tlminut - it's fine, write away!

14. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

The main part I remember is seeing the bone he pulled out with the tooth! So much for being back to normal in a few days to a week...this hurts.

15. cosmetic dentists profile image59
    cosmetic dentistsposted 13 years ago

There are many dentists who now cater for people who have a dental phobia, whether it is sedation or just a friendly dentist who takes time out to make you feel relaxed. I am positive that I saw them hubs on here about the topic.

But still, I don't think anyone particularly enjoys a trip to the dentist!

16. frogdropping profile image77

Well thanks again guys smile

What's gravol? Will it stop me from either vomitting or the upset stomach side (TMI I know but that's how bad I get - all for a bloody dental appoinment) as well as have a calming effect?

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

usually, yes.  gravol is an anti-nauseant that will calm your tummy, but also has a relaxing effect.  i would try it before using it before a dental appt though just to see what effect it has on you, because as far as meds go, there are always side-effects right?  and in some cases, mostly children, gravol can make you hyper and uneasy.  but generally, this is a good strategy if you dont want to wait in a docs office all day just to get a prescriptrion for valium smile

17. profile image0
    DaMan92posted 13 years ago

Every time I go to the dentist they put me through a huge amount of pain. And that pain I feel it for days plus it is hard to eat afterwords

18. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 13 years ago

Aww FD, I hope it all ends well soon. As for the vomitting, panic attacks can take over the best of you. Dear take as many fluids as you can to keep yourself upbeat. Remind yourself it is not as worse as it can get so that you start feeling better.

19. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 13 years ago

Dental fear affects a large percentage of the population!  Make sure to tell the secretary/hygienist/dentist that you have dental fear.  They should approach your situation in a way that minimizes your fear!

20. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 13 years ago

PS:  Consider going to a "sedation dentist" next time!

21. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I just went to the dentist the other day, when she shot the novicain into my jaw it hit a nerve that went straight into my eyeball. I batted that needle right out of her hand and writhed in pain. All I can say is RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

22. SmilesDoc profile image60
    SmilesDocposted 13 years ago

Frogdropping, you asked "Why do dentists rattle so many people?"

It's the potential for intense pain. even if nothing hurts, it's the expectancy of that searing jolt of agony of sharp drill on virgin tooth.

If teeth lacked sensitivity, it would be like having a haircut or getting your nails done. Where's the challenge in that?

23. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear about the date with your dentist.  Next time I'd drink a lot if I were you.

24. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Omg I hate the dentist. Last time I was there I smacked him in the nose because he would not stop when I said it was hurting.
    I am terrible I would rather see a tooth-ache through with oil of cloves and panadol than face the dentist.
    But I am sure Froggy you are braver than me. smile

25. timorous profile image81

There, there BP...just relax...now this won't hurt a bit, I promise yikes

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you double and triple promise? What type of lollies do you have if I am good? You wouldn't have any fresh king prawns in your little fridge there, would you lol. ?

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv44/Popmundopop/PopTartz/lollipop.png

1. timorous profile image81
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why of course, my dear...you see, I'm not really a dentist. lol  Besides, you know those lollies are full of sugar..and that yummy chewy centre that sticks to your teeth.  No dentist would allow that...unless he really wants your business big_smile

Can I x-ray your mouth?..please... smile

P.S.  Sorry, we're fresh outta them fresh king prawns, besides..that's a different kind of filling, isn't it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)