hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

how long should you keep a hub before deciding to delete it, or should you just keep revisiting it and amending it?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleting a hub is not a good option. Why would you want to delete yours?

1. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou Ultimate Hubber

2. FlowerW profile image61
    FlowerWposted 13 years ago

I think its better to edit it, add more info, etc.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with editing them, although I have deleted a few too. I find some hubs are very reliant on events that are no longer interesting, so I delete a few of those. smile

1. profile image0

Thankyou earnestshub

2. profile image0

thankyou FlowerW

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've got a few I want to delete, but rather than waste that URL that has been 'out there' for some time, I really think it is better to re-write and even re-name the whole article, even if the URL doesn't exactly match up. Haven't tried it yet, but that's what I'm thinking of doing.

1. profile image0

thankyou IzzyM

4. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

I have been known to delete a few in the short time I've been hubbing.  I will say the ones I deleted weren't even worth editing.  I worked on them, still didn't like them and thus, delete.  Editing and revising is usually the best approach.  If you come back to one and find you hate its guts, kill it.

1. profile image0

thankyou tobey100

5. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

Thankyou all for your replys, the main reason for the question is say after a couple of months of your hub being out, i am just getting a trickle feed to the hubs on a daily basis. So I'm thinking do I delete it ,change it or edit it.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A trickle for no further effort is still something.

1. profile image0

thankyou pscheskinner

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brian, I think it's way, way, too soon for you to even think about deleting anything.  Unless you have more than one account, it looks like you've only been on here for six weeks.  Some newer people may hit on a "dynamo" Hub that does really well really soon, but for a lot of people it takes quite a while for the Hubs to build up in number and in traffic.  Even when things start to pick up, it can take yet awhile longer to things to see at all worthwhile.

Editing, revising, adding capsules, etc. are always good things.  So is getting comments or getting backlinks (or otherwise promoting your Hubs). 

I've had tons of Hubs that do nothing, and that I hate because I wrote them when I didn't know what Hubs were supposed to be, but they aren't really bothering me, so I leave them.  I keep thinking I'll gradually replacing them, one or two at a time (I'm talking - like - 100 or more Hubs) with "good" ones, and delete one "loser" for every new, "good", one.  In the meantime, if some of them (or all of the combined) pick up a dollar and a half every great once in a while, that's ok too.  smile

1. profile image0

Thankyou, Lisa HW

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A couple of months isn't enough time to judge a Hub's potential.  It takes at least that long for most Hubs to start ranking well in the search engines (which is where most of your traffic will come from).  As Lisa says, traffic builds gradually over time, so it can take months to assess whether a Hub is going to work or not. 

That's true of Hubs and websites.  For instance, I almost didn't renew one of my websites because it was performing so badly nine months after I started it.  The following month, it finally started getting traffic so I decided to give it another chance - and a year later, it's now my best-earning site.

1. profile image0

thankyou Marisa

6. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 13 years ago

I would say edit a hub rather then delete it. I have found some just take a while to mature, give it time. smile

1. profile image0

thankyou wrenfrost56

2. Karen_Ellis profile image59
      Karen_Ellisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am really new..are any of you putting videos into your hubs?

Thanks- this has been a good string to stumble upon.

7. charlemont profile image73
    charlemontposted 13 years ago

I used to keep 'fresh and green' hubs with the Unpublished status in the hope to polish them in the no too distant future. But it either happens that I come up with a better URL or simply lose interest. So, the wisest thing I've come up so far is to use unpublished content in the process of writing new hubs smile

1. profile image0

thankyou charlemont

8. Dobson profile image76
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

I say EDIT, insert as many various and pertinent capsules as possible and do the SEO research. Any hub can become productive if enough work is put into it.

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say - never delete a hub unless it's absolute rubbish and you cringe when you look at it.
      Say you're getting 5 hits a day off google for your hub - thats 1825 hits per year. If we work on the 5% of people clicking and about 50c per click, that's $45 a year.
      Remember also - some hubs go through phases. For instance - a hub about swimwear probably won't get many hits in the middle of winter.  And a hub about fake rolex watches might suddenly take off if a celebrity gets scammed with one.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Lara, you may find this hard to believe, but I have some Hubs that get fewer hits than that, and they've earned precisely 0 cents since I learned about tracking Adsense channels over a year ago!

So I think I can safely say they are useless.  They don't make me cringe to look at them, so I can only assume the topics are of no interest to people.

1. LarasMama profile image60
          LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully they'll go through a phase one day soon then!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Well, considering they've all gone through all four seasons more than once already, I seriously doubt it!

2. profile image0

thankyou LarasMama

2. profile image0

thankyou Dobson

9. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

writing hub is really tough, as you are sharing information and ideas with people. So deleting hub is bad idea. Better to edit or try to make a hub which is very useful

1. profile image0

thankyou Khmohsin

10. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

earnest is right - some hubs go out of date so delete - but ones that can be up-dated and keep contemporary should not be deleted smile What do I know smile

1. profile image0

thankyou theirshobserver

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Karen, we put videos in if they are revelant to what we are writing about, we put in pics as well. Think of a hub as a newspaper article except of course newspapers can't do the Harry Potter moving things that we can!
    I see you have no hubs yet. Write an article about what interests you, or something that you know about, and if there is a vidoe over on youtube that suits your topic, by all means include it smile

12. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

The only time you should delete a hub is if you don't like the URL of your hub and want to change it since the only way to change it is to delete the hub and create a new one with a different URL. Other than that I think you should never delete a hub, especially one that has been around a while. Just keep editing your hub if you need to. There is nothing wrong with editing a hub. I've done that more than once.

Lena

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)