A Bit of a Quandary

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

Hi smile

I would be really interested in some feedback, please smile
    Thanks!

I enjoy writing, so was very pleased to find HubPages, but, as I have mentioned before, I felt that it presented me with a dilemma.

I would love to earn money from my writing ~ that's what most writers hope to do, I think.

I am not working at present, because I have some health problems, so I have more time at home to write and more of a desire to make 'writer' my profession.

But, as I said, I have discovered a dilemma.

The way we earn money on Hub Pages is not by actually selling our books and articles, but by, in effect, getting commission on goods or services, sold as a result of our items.

At first, I felt very uncomfortable about this, but then I realised that other authors promote their works ~ just as actors often supplement their income by appearing in adverts or doing voice-overs.

I decided to concentrate on two types of hub ~ those that concern my interests, eg, in literature or matters historical, etc, and those which look at useful items that I have been pleased to find ~ my 'best buys' or 'favourites'.

But are the latter just too light and promotional?

There is, obviously, a difference between the following:
    ~ an item about the history of Spain, which results in a reader deciding to buy a book on the subject,
    ~ a hub which simply describes, reviews and promotes goods, which may be purchased online, in the hope that a reader will buy something.

There are probably a number of opinions on this subject, but, basically ~ are my 'Best Buy' hubs OK? smile

Some of my 'Best Buy' hubs:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Buy-a-Mini-Frid … ler-Online
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Andre-Rieu-Joha … -Orchestra
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Buy-Beautiful-G … r-Under-20

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Trish--Nice start on commercial hubs! I do have a few comments, however:

Across the board, I would say to spread out your Amazon ads--have some at the top, some throughout the body and some at the bottom.

On the mini fridge hub, you have a links box in the upper right with redundant text in it. First it has "This is one of my 'best buy' hubs, where I look at items that I have found useful and which others may be interesting in acquiring." and then "This set of hubs looks at items that I have found useful ~ and which are available to purchase online." I would also move that down further into the body of the hub, as it is taking up valuable real estate where it is.

I think asking a hypothetical question here or there is fine, but you have definitely taken it to the extreme. In two of your hubs, you start off by asking the reader a series of question. People are coming to you for information--not to be put to work answering a series of questions. When you're trying to sell something online, don't ask them what they want--tell them what they want. I would also advise against using titles that ask a question, like "Do you want to buy a....".

In general, you want to sprinkle your Amazon ads throughout the hub, rather than clumping them all in one block in the middle. Have some at the top, throughout the body and again at the bottom.

You have just a few seconds to grab a reader's attention, so be sure to convey the benefit of the product to the reader in the first couple of sentences. Starting with, "Garnets are a precious gift to give...." will probably work better than "Do you love garnets?" You might also want to include information like what a garnet is, why someone would want to buy one rather than a diamond or sapphire, etc.

In general, it's messy for a reader to see a link like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Vienna-Love-Waltz … ic&amp

Instead, highlight the text underneath the link (Andrew Rieu - Vienna Waltzes) and click the chain icon on the capsules menu. Insert the link there. That will make "Andrew Rieu - Vienna Waltzes" clickable, and will spare the reader from a convoluted link. (And you did use the proper Amazon link with your ID in it, right?)

Hope this helps!

Trish_Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi!

Thank you very much for your feedback and your advice, lrohner ~ very much appreciated:)

I have tried to sort out a few of the things that you have mentioned, already, and will keep going back and tweaking.

I get the impression that you consider this kind of hub to be, generally, ok, but needs to be honed so that it does its job well, rather than that it might be 'just too light and promotional', which was my concern.

Thank you smile

Trish_Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PS:
        I don't know how to use the Amazon link containing my ID.
        I'll have to try to find the instructions for that.
        Thanks.

3. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

You need to set it up in affiliates settings, click on my account, then on affiliate settings.  Choose the option for Amazon and you will need to set up an account with Amazon.  If you have already done this, then a code will be in the box, if not it will be blank.

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Trish-Get into your Amazon Affiliates account and click Links and Banners from the top menu. Then click Add Product Links Now. Find the product you want and click the "Get Link" button. You'll see a whole bunch of icky code pop up in a box, but you only need a portion of it.

Find the part contained in quotes that begins with "http://whatever/blahblah/", and grab everything that's inside of that set of quotes. That's your link and it has your Amazon ID in it so that whoever clicks on the link and buys something, you get credit for.

OR

Get into your Amazon Affiliates account and click on Account Settings in the upper right corner. Click Associate Site Stripe Options and turn it on. Now when you're logged into Amazon and you go to one of their product pages, you'll see a gray stripe across the top of your screen with the option to "Link to this". When you click that button, it will give you the link to paste into your capsule.

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I need some clarification!

I have an Amazon Affiliates account and it is linked only to my Hubpages account (on the HP My Account page / Affiliate settings section).  So far, when I have placed ads for Amazon products, I have only used the Amazon capsule in the Edit mode of a Hub.  I either just copy and paste the URL or IBN #, or I run a search by keyword and Amazon supplies the suggested products to place in the capsule.

In reading this current forum topic/thread, it seems to me that there may be another step that I need to take to supply the proper code, so I will get credit if someone clicks on the link for these products I have advertised.  Is that correct?  Or does the step of setting up my Amazon account as linked to my HP account take care of it all?  Please help!?!

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, no, no... What you are doing is absolutely fine. Generally, you just add your Amazon ID to your Affiliate Settings and then have at it with the Amazon capsules in your hubs.

Trish was also putting a few text links in there to Amazon products outside of the Amazon capsules, but they weren't linked up to her Amazon account so she could have lost sales.

Take a breath...

Count to ten...

You're FINE! smile

6. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

Thank you.

I'll read that carefully and then, hopefully, I'll be able to sort it out.

Thank you all for the help

Tricia smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)