What Do You Think About Church?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. dtaylor05 profile image61
    dtaylor05posted 15 years ago

I drove past a church in my hometown the other day and noticed they did some remodeling to their building. What used to be a beautiful, Holy building now looked like a Shopping Mall. I heard they spent around $9 Million on it. I couldn't believe my eyes...or ears. There are so many churches these days being built that are costing Millions of Dollars. I don't really understand the intent on their spending.

Aren't churches supposed to GIVE to the community instead of spend it on facilities? Didn't God intend the church to be a place for worship and not be about a performance? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think churches like these could be spending their Millions of Dollars on something more meaningful. They could give back to the community, help the helpless, feed and shelter the homeless...do good things to help people. But instead they are blowing it on fancy sound and light equipment and recreation areas. Sure it's good to build a church community and want people to come to church and enjoy themselves. I just feel like some churches these days are more worried about image than showing God to people.

What do you guys think? Share your thoughts!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

You say this as though this is a new phenomenon.....

The entire point of the christian church is to collect money to build edifices to itself. Nothing new here. If the christian church behaved the way the bible tells them too, the world would be a wonderful place. Unfortunately there are too many who read it to say that theirs is the best god, all others are going to hell, and to build monuments and idols to their god.

Only they call them symbols................... big_smile

1. t.keeley profile image77
        t.keeleyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So true....so true....

2. allshookup profile image59
      allshookupposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have seen many church buildings like you are talking about. I think you'd laugh if you could see my church. It's tiny, we can seat about 80. If you were driving down the road and didn't know to look for it, you'd miss it. But, our weekly offerings are good, I think, for our number. But, our pastor preaches giving and helping those who need it. He preaches against materialism, as it is only a tiny thing in life. And he's right. I just share this with you so you'll know that all churches out there don't worry about how great their buildings look, but that some do actually care for those who need help and act on it. So, I ask you, please don't judge all churches like that one you talk about. There are many out there who do a lot of community work. My old church went to the bank to borrow money to build a larger building. My husband and I were against this because we wanted to save the money and not pay out interest when it could be used for better purposes and we didn't really need a new building. Something I have noticed around here, but that is just around here and may not apply to anywhere else. Is this: That the smaller the church in number, it seems, the more they give to the needy. I'm not sure why that is. Like I said, that may not apply to anywhere but here. I'm not saying that big churches are bad at all. Just the bigger ones in my area like to have crystal light fixtures,  etc. And that's where a large chunk of money goes. So many people could be fed, clothed, or housed for a small amount of money that I wonder if people realize this. With the economy like it is, more churches, I hope, will be lending more of a hand to those who need it because the number is growing fast. What I have learned from the church we now attend it that you can't out-give God. No matter what you give, God returns to you many times that amount. He always blesses those who help others in His Name. Everytime. I can bear witness to this.

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

1. There can be no limitations to the number of churches.
    2. From where can churches give people..; and what for ?
    3. We cannot expect others to show God. We should have faith and pray continuously.
    4. Providing fancy, lights, sound, etc. are also a kind of help to society. How many people   
              engaged in those trade are benefited?

3. Osa Osazuwa-Tosan profile image60
    Osa Osazuwa-Tosanposted 15 years ago

Well, that's a very correct concern about what's done these days in the name of Christ's Church. Let me say however that the church is not in building or fancifulness. The Christian Church is in the first instance, the collection of people filled with the Spirit of Christ, who live to promote the life of Christ and the purpose of God's love for mankind in the world.

It is therefore a misconception to think that the Church can be represented by structures and fanciful human modes. Simply what's being done by these people is far from the concept of the Christian Church.

4. Pest profile image78
    Pestposted 15 years ago

I have long ago left the church for these very reasons.  The millions of dollars spent on churches turned me away quickly.  I have always said that I would prefer to gather in a shack to worship than under a "Golden Calf".  My community of just over 2,000 people just built a six million dollar church!  There are four other churches including this new one in town!  Christianity started as a community that shared everything...I don't think this is what Peter had in mind for the church when he began after Jesus' death.  I have a pretty good idea that Jesus would over turn the pews and tables of the churches as he did in the temple.

5. dtaylor05 profile image61
    dtaylor05posted 15 years ago

Thanks for your post. I am not saying all churches are the same. I actually like smaller churches than I do bigger ones. I feel that bigger churches seem to preach on getting more people into the church than spiritual growth. The smaller ones are more community based and tend to have a more in-depth service about The Bible...you know truly getting into His word.
    I just think that there's a better way for some churches to spend money than to put it all in a big flashy facility.

6. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

I also agree that churches can use the money that they bring it a lot more efficiently.  Then again there are those whose only priority is to preach their version of the Bible and if you don't get it in their way then you are a sinner and all kinds of horrible things.  Be wary of those who do this and read why in my latest hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Are-Cults

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)