What Is Evil About The Tides Foundation?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (67 posts)
  1. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

http://activistcash.com/organization_ov … des-center

It's a money laundering operation for rich progressives that don't want people to know what they are supporting. This raises questions like why? Why are these people afraid to be seen as supporting progressive ideals?

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, so the Tides foundation really is evil.  Guess that guy was right for trying to go massacre some folks out there.  Too bad the cops got to him first.

1. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He was no more right to shoot up cops than the Black Panthers were to intimidate voters or talk about killing cracker babies.  A biblical quote comes to mind:  "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Matthew 7:5

I'm rather partial to the King James version of that passage.

Good advice.

Well if you were wondering how rich people screw poor people over, this is the way they do it, at least in the modern world.  That whole Guttenberg press and gunpowder really put the kibosh on the ancien regime.  So the new aristocrats have to be a little more circumspect as to how they go about screwing people.  They have to do things like, oh I don't know, suppress data that shows global warming to be a hoax.  Stuff like that.

Yes, or pay people like Fox News to misreport the facts.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
                Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you have proof of that?

Or is it just part of the overall game plan?

Why don't you ask LE if he has proof that global warming is a hoax?  LOL.

I mean, gosh, they sure do have all those climate scientists fooled.  Must be a lot of work to fool people who study climate into thinking that the climate is changing...

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
                    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can prove global warming is a reality.

At one time scientists tell us the earth was almost covered with ice.  As far as I can tell that is no longer the case, thus the earth must have gotten warmer?

Man made global warming is a hoax!

3. Jim Hunter profile image60

I don't need to ask him how he knows global warming is a hoax.

Do you have proof that fox news is misreporting the news because they are being paid to do so?

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image61
          Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like that passage too. It is one of my favorites.

big_smile

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

Nothing like going to the extreme.

Yes, like calling a foundation "evil." 

Nothing like it.

Nobody called it evil.

Look at the title of the post.

I did.

Nobody called it evil.

Lol.  You're better than Sad Ho.

Why are you calling Sab oh names?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                  psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The first post asks for clarification about what kind of evil it is, the second one outright calls it evil.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's funny.  The site you point to is run by the "Center for Consumer Freedom" which clearly states on its site: "Many of the companies and individuals who support the Center financially have indicated that they want anonymity as contributors."

How is that any different???

It's a group that seeks to protect themselves from government intrusion into their business.  They seem to oppose legislation that would ban "bad food".  I can't say that I'm surprised to see something like that form against the people who want to restrict what you can and can't eat.  Choosing to live an unhealthy lifestyle is, after all, a choice and people will find a way to indulge in their vice, if that's what they want to do.

So that's how they're different from the Tides Foundation.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73

I think you missed my point.  Oh well.

No your point was supposedly the fact that the Center for Consumer Freedom takes money from shadowy sources, which it would seem the Tides Foundation does as well.  The difference lies in the aims of the two organizations.  The CCF wants to protect its affiliated businesses from the intrusion of people who want control over what people eat in the US.  The Tides Foundation wants to promote social justice, whatever that is supposed to mean.  Big difference between the two.

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
              Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well if the KKK and any Aryan groups ever raised money from shadowy sources, it's comforting to know that people won't see it as any different from any other organization! lol

2. William R. Wilson profile image60

So the end justifies the means, in other words.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image73

Wait, so freedom to eat what you want is a bigger and better cause than freedom to live as you want?  Wow.  Don't see that, at all.

Eating what you want is part and parcel of living how you want.  What gives you or anyone else the right to legislate what and how much I can eat?

I don't quite see the difference LE.  Maddie wins.

So wishing we had a like button.  big_smile

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean like the Heritage Foundation and the Cato Foundation? Not to mention the FreedomForum or whatever Dick Armey calls his right wing group that's been supporting the Tea Party.

2. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 13 years ago

Ralph I don't necessarily agree that global warming is human caused.  That doesn't mean I'm not open to the idea that temperatures change over time.  I don't believe we can control those things and since we can't we're better off exploring mitigation strategies rather than screaming at one another until we're blue in the face.  I, personally, think we're headed to a cooling phase which could occur within a decade.  If we're going to prepare, we need to start looking at what to do now.  Or, more in keeping with my libertarian leanings, stop trying to control the debate and encourage people to think about how a cooling or warming event will impact them.  Then, at least, if one of us is right, people won't be running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

3. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 13 years ago

Consumers came into vogue after WW II to describe the new Keynesian economic order.  Keynes is notorious for disregarding people and resorting to pure numbers.  Economics is about people and the decisions they make, not aggregate demand and other Keynesian nonsense. 

Yes and I suppose the dumping happens in brown communities like our Green Czar claimed.  If we respected property rights in this country anyone who had sludge dumped on their property could go after the polluter with hammer and tongs.

If you're so concerned about the gasoline problem, perhaps your time would be better spent developing an alternative source that produces as much energy, preferably more, at the same cost, preferably lower, than oil and you'll have changed the world.  Any other sort of remedy will make things worse.  Need I remind you of MTBE?  It was created after car manufacturers were forced to use catalytic converters to treat exhaust.  Current leaded gasoline did bad tings to the catalytic converter so an alternative needed to be found.  Oops.  Now the oil companies are on the hook for something that was forced on the industry by legislation.  Hmm.  Shades of the CRA there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)