Is 1200 calories diet equally good for men and women?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image52
    lifeistomileposted 13 years ago

i have my opinion and i need experts opinion

so lets discuss

as metabolic needs of men is about 2400 calories on average and women is 1800 calories on average, so lets discuss

1. HoopBot profile image60
      HoopBotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Daily calorie recommendations printed on foods in the UK suggest that men should eat 2500 calories daily, and 1500 for women. Although for some films such as 300 and Ryan Reynolds' Blade, they (as men) stuck to a 1300 calorie day.

1. profile image58
        truparad0xposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A 1200 calorie diet is not sustainable in the long term, especially for men who are bulking up for a movie such as Blade 3.

2. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I'd starve on that. I could do 2000 a day.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Your caloric theory seems to completely skip any relevance for age, overall health of the person, activity level or lifestyle. 

The whole problem with general daily recommendations is that caloric needs vary great from person to person.

1. vydyulashashi profile image59
      vydyulashashiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

even when a person is at complete rest at home without any work needs a minimum calories to sustain bodily functions

so when male and female are compared in such situation
      male requires 2700 calories per day and female 2000 and this is an average value for persons who just do day to day work without any strenuous works

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

True, Relache. My husband consumes about 4,000 calories a day and is not overweight.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I've been trying to drop a few pounds myself, and figuring out how many calories you actually expend in a day is a good way to start.  Because you either will need to make sure you burn off more than you eat, or eat less than you expend, if you are going to lose weight.

6. Suzie Parker profile image61
    Suzie Parkerposted 13 years ago

Consuming too little calories (no matter if you are a man or a woman), will make your body think that it is in a famine. What then happens is that it holds on to any thing that it can, because it don't know when it will be getting in more food.

That slows down your metabolism and your body lets go of the heaviest thing to maintain (muscle) and holds on to the lightest thing (fat). So when you go on a 1200 calorie diet and you need way more calories, you will slow down your metabolism, lose muscle and hold on to your fat. This will lead to you having more fat than muscle and also having problems to lose weight in the long run.

What's best for women and men is to follow a healthy,balanced diet that contains enough calories to be healthy and to allow the body to let go of the fat.

1200 calories are definitely too little for men (I would say). But for some small framed and inactive women, 1200 calories may be OK. It all depends on your metabolic rate.

7. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Equally bad rather smile

8. jacobkuttyta profile image44
    jacobkuttytaposted 13 years ago

Honestly I don't know

9. vydyulashashi profile image59
    vydyulashashiposted 13 years ago

so averagely a male needs 2700/day and female 2000/day and this is an average only and is for people who do their day to day work without any extra hard work

people who do strenuous works daily may require higher amount of calories.

1. The Future profile image59
      The Futureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The amount of calories you need depend on how much you weigh, not your gender.

1. vydyulashashi profile image59
        vydyulashashiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its an average of all stats, male and female have separate requirements

10. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

minimum medically recommended calorie-restricted diets for women are 1200 cals and for men are 1500 cals. less than that and you won't get enough of a balanced diet to sustain good health. though whoever said your weight plays a role is correct, too.

11. profile image49
    healthy chikposted 13 years ago

Hi, this is a great post, thanks for sharing it xxxxx

12. profile image49
    healthy chikposted 13 years ago

Hi, sorry, i should have said, 'these are great answers' -) Very imformative
    xxxxx

13. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I've been trying to do a 1200 calorie diet but I'm not great at working out portion sizes because I haven't been as hungry as I thought I should be. I've also been eating a lot of crap. On the plus side I did lose 3lbs last week. I don't think i did as well this week.

14. Supercellbaebe profile image59
    Supercellbaebeposted 13 years ago

Calorie counting is totally flawed and it is unnatural.  Did our ancestors used to count calories?  No.  Where they healthy and able to function?  Yes. 

Calorie counting is a viral marketing tool, which the health industry has come up with and is now raking in the cash from. 

A human body cannot be thought of as a calorie burning machine, because frankly, it isn't!  Its a human body with an enormous array of chemical, physical and neurological reactions...  I could write an encyclopedia on the subject. 

But in a nutshell, calorie counting is total garbage and without it, the world would be a much better and healthier place. 

xxx

1. profile image50
      steve.plumeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In general we don't need to count calories, as our bodies are normally quite good at knowing how much we need to eat.  Although the way the body works is complicated though, there is a simple fact, which is that if you consume just slightly more energy than you need, every day, for many years, you can eventually find yourself overweight.

About 4 months ago I realised that this had happened to me, gradually over 15 years, and I was perhaps quite a bit larger than I really should be. Calorie counting, as a temporary measure, has worked very well for me. I've lost over 3 stone since then, and am much closer to being a good healthy weight.

I don't intend to keep counting calories. Just need to be aware if I start getting a bit larger again, and then maybe eat a bit less, but it has been an incredibly useful tool to get me to where I am now.

To answer the original question. Yes, it does depend on your size etc. but what I did was stick to 1800 calories a day (I'm a man). No rules about type of food - anything permitted.  Now that I'm less fat and more confident, I'll soon get back to just eating a good balanced diet, without the need to count everything.

I'd actually go as far as to say that most of the diet industry, far from using calorie counting as a marketing tool, actually goes the other way and tries to tell us that it doesn't work, and what you really need is their product.  Weight Watchers do sell calorie counting, with smaller numbers, but much of the rest of the industry wants to sell supplements, special diet plans, etc. and they would rather not have you know that simple do-it-yourself calorie counting does actually work!

All for the world being a better place though, I'm with you on that! :-)

15. cobrien profile image59
    cobrienposted 13 years ago

The human body needs, per day, a minimum of 11 calories per pound of weight for basic functions. Anything less is damaging to the body. A 100 pound person needs 1,100 calories a day PLUS whatever he uses for physical activity.

16. ncuxapa_ profile image61
    ncuxapa_posted 13 years ago

1200 is too low number for both women and men. When you lose weight eventually, you will gain it back because you have chosen to take less than 1900 calories per day. It is metabolism and you can not change it.

17. Looze_It! profile image61
    Looze_It!posted 13 years ago

The more important factor is what you feed yourself, not the actual quantity. There have been studies that show the over-eating capabilities of people on different diets.
    People who ate the most nutrient dense foods, such as meats and veggies, could only consume 20% over their recomended caloric intake. The people who were fed junk-food and carb loaded nutrient deficient food were able to consume well over double, with some reaching 4x the recommended caloric intake by the end of the study.
    In summation: If you are eating good food for your body, you won't have to worry aboout the # of calories.

*please read the other comments on this forum regarding the dangers of calorie restriction

18. Andrew Gubb profile image56
    Andrew Gubbposted 13 years ago

I think it's very subjective. I know someone who probably eats about 500 calories a day. She's been doing so for the last two years and seems okay.

19. cnn8192 profile image57
    cnn8192posted 13 years ago

Many people confuse calories burning with fat burning.

Make sure that your diet is apropriate before counting calories. And standart calories as you've entioned 2700 and 2000 is OK, do not need to dicrease to 1200. Just Choose right diet.

20. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 13 years ago

you can always eat the right calories at the right time. more breads in the morning so yo work it off as the day progresses.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)