Amazon products you can't sell

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

Hi all,

Are there some Amazon products you can't sell (because they're through a 3rd party)? I found some really cool Japanese clothing to sell (e.g. loose socks) but the capsule wouldn't recognise that product. Maybe I could put in a direct text link or something.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've had this happen once or twice, however I (think) it was just a random glitch because they didn't appear to be third party sales. And I've had items on my hubs that DID appear to be third party sales. There's a good chance that I'm wrong though...

So I'll just wait with you ... smile

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glitches can and do happen, old ads can become defunct even tho the item is still valid, just a glitch in the matrix I guess smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure they were third party and not "products from external websites"?

You don't get paid commission on products from external websites.

Actually I think that may have been what it was. And that's very unfair if we can advertise them for amazon but get nothing if they're bought!

(Not that my amazon items get bought much anyway smile)

brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gadgets like stuff you plug into a computer sell quite well (if they're under $50). Any luck in the kitchen accessories niche?

I didn't actually intentionally go into that - just kinda happened... and not yet.

I sold 2 mice this month, I can't even remember what hub they were on. I wish the Amazon statistics were more detailed.

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First of all, if you read the Amazon TOS, you're aware of these things.

Secondly, think of it this way, Amazon is letting some companies advertise on their site.  They only pay affiliates for sales they directly handle, not for a cut of advertising fees they collect.

1. profile image0
            Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Relache, you have the patience of a saint. I have given up helping people who won't bother to read the TOS of the programs they represent.

I remember reading it when I signed up but should probably go back and do it again - at that stage the terms mostly flew over my head!

3. kerryg profile image84
          kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You still get the cookie, though, so my understanding (and Nelle or someone else who's more of an expert on Amazon can correct me if I'm wrong) is that even if you don't get the commission for the third party purchase, you still get a commission for any products purchased directly from Amazon (or from qualifying third party sellers) at the same time.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

??  What's the point of getting the cookie if it only lasts the session, and the link takes the reader to another website altogether?

We're talking about two different things here.

Some products on Amazon are actually sold by third parties.  You get a cut of those, because they're being sold through Amazon. 

Amazon also sells advertising on its pages.  They show up under  "products from external websites".  They're nothing to do with Amazon so affiliates get nothing from them.

That kind of made my brain do loops but I think I understand. Basically anything listed with a picture, details and comes up in an amazon search gives us commission, is that correct?

WryLilt, the advertising is pretty clearly quarantined down the bottom of Amazon pages under "products from external websites" or "sponsored links". If you try to click on them to get the ASIN or ISBN, you'll find yourself at another website - so there's no danger you can get confused.

I realise I missed a post by Brettb regarding the product he was trying to sell.  I checked for Silvermoon and they are on Amazon so he should be able to sell them.  However, I couldn't find any "loose socks" in their listings (though I did see a few photos that looked like they could be loose women...).  Maybe the product was on the brink of being discontinued, or something.

I do occasionally have the same problem with products, and for some reason I notice it's always products starting with "B0" like these.

Ok thank you. From what the OP said and some of the other comments I was taking it to mean that some items in a normal amazon search wouldn't pay commission. Good to hear that's not correct!

2. darkside profile image66
            darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is correct.

I think there is a difference between a third party seller and an external site. The first you do get a commission, the other is just an advertised link taking you off the Amazon system completely.

2. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

It says "Ships from and sold by Silvermoon."

Does this mean it's not a product I can use? Boo hoo!

1. thefluffanutta profile image59
      thefluffanuttaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should still get commission for this, if it can be added to the Amazon basket and paid for through their checkout.

I might be able to build a normal link to it, but for some reason the Amazon Capsule won't recognise the product.

I had a strange one in the Hub I posted today.

I could get the product to display if I used the keyword search, or if I pasted in the whole URL. But if I pasted in just the ASIN, it said "not found".

Strange.

The same thing happened to me! It's a shame because the product could have been a good seller via my Hub.

3. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

"Items sold through Amazon Auctions and zShops do not earn referral fees under the Associates Program."

Source: My Inbox (in an email from Amazon.com)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)