Which part of hubbing do you dislike more - content or writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Which part of doing a hub do you have the most trouble with - writing the content or adding media/pictures/polls/amazon adverts?

I'm asking this question because I'm currently doing a 30 day challenge on sales hubs. I've got three hubs filled with amazon products, all I need to do is [insert sales talk here]. I'm being lazy and hanging out on the forums instead. big_smile

So what do you put off?

1. thooghun profile image95
      thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind either of those, what I do mind is the post-hub marketing routine to optimize my chances of being indexed swiftly and highly.

I could skip that part, but it seems to make a difference for me so I slug it out.

2. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On "regular" (as opposed to "sales") Hubs, I have no problem with any of it.  I'm in my element when I'm writing, and I have some fun adding the other stuff (some things more than others).   

When/if I write a sales article?   Definitely, the writing.  I hate sales talk.  I don't want to write it, and I don't read it.  If I'm looking to buy something I go right to where I know I'm likely to find it and order it, minus the talk.   smile  So, that's why I pretty much don't do that kind of writing on here.  When I write stuff for other people I know what they want, and I can whip it up in - like - a half hour (and then proof and polish afterward).  I often drag my feet (if possible) on that some of that stuff too.  So, if I'm on here and writing because I want to write what I want to write - there's no way I want to turn that into yet more (only lower paying) sales-related stuff.   hmm

However, not to be discouraging, the one good thing about sales type things is they can been written "robotically" , quickly, and don't take a lot of out of you.  The 30-day challenge ought to be very easy if you're doing those.   Good luck with it.  smile

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I can write 1000 words on a "normal" hub in no time at all but when I have to write to sell... Eurgh!

I decided I needed to do a sales hub challenge so I could get some practice... and because I'd been avoiding that kind of hub and thought it would be good to have some in my portfolio!

1. Lisa HW profile image60

The good news is, though, that if you haven't ruled out sales Hubs (the only reason I did on here is that I came here to get away from "unbearable" business writing  lol), you're more likely to earn.    Besides, after you do the kind of writing you need for sales Hubs for awhile you work into a system (again, my "unbearable" writing is somewhere other than HubPages, but I have my system).   I ought to be doing some product Hubs, because it makes sense; and I would if I weren't going through a "thing" that makes me not have the energy for a double-dose of writing I'm not thrilled with. 

What about interspersing a "fun" writing Hub here or there, or what about breaking away once in awhile for something like a "how-to" or some other informative, but non-sales, Hub.  I'm not suggesting replacing too many of the sales ones with others, but I find if I don't write something other than dry, business, stuff it pretty much sucks the life out of me.  smile   I have a strange "how-to-do-percents" article that I wrote in response to someone's asking.  I just whipped it up, and wrote as if I were talking to a junior-high kid across the dining room table.  That one gets some decent earnings (not huge - but not bad).  If I put it a little more effort, it could probably do better.  So, it's not just the sales Hubs that do pretty well. 

I think most people on here struggle with the same thing (except for people who don't really care about writing and are more focused on the technical aspects and subjects).

3. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I actually write a hub myself, writing takes way more effort than anything else. Otherwise, anything else smile

2. Info Bucket profile image64
    Info Bucketposted 13 years ago

The most difficult thing for me is writing, when i start to write, the words won't come out...........

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

The most difficult bit for me is coming up with ideas for things to write about that I can talk about with some credibility and which haven't been done to death before.  Once I actually start writing (whatever the type of hub), I enjoy it.

I like doing "done to death" topics too. But I will say this - if you write a really good article on something, and we're talking one of the best of its kind on the net, then you will start getting the hits and they will start to go up. Luckily I did a really good hub when I started and seeing it start to get hits (although can't believe google even noticed it in the throng) was what really inspired me to keep writing.

4. wytegarillaz profile image60
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

When I am passionate about something it seems easier , however I see some  hubberd with loads of comments and followers and think maybe mine are not that interesting so I am trying to work out what others will enjoy more

5. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

just read your buy wedding cakes on line, did you realise you had not got a comment box on.  The hub was great.,... voted it up.

Yes I've started taking comments boxes off sales hubs for an experiment - I think it takes off some of the professionalism of the hub when it says "Great hub!" at the bottom and also dilutes the content.

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

writing the hub is easy, its the marketing part, the SEO  and Keyword searches, back linking   all go over the top....

I wouldn't presume to have the best opinion here, but I do know that my better earning Hubs earn what they do because of the comments.    Over time, the comments and your responses add up and offer  some readers the kind of other information they want to read.  I don't like the looks of the comments for the same reason you say.  Still, it isn't the writing on my better earners that's responsible for their earning.  One way my input does play some role is that by answering and offering a "customer-service" kind of effort in finding/thinking up the answers, there's that additional "helpful" element to the Hubs.

Hmmm true. And I will agree comments do add content on a lot of my informational hubs. It's only my sales hubs that I've been taking the comments boxes off. Maybe I'll just start rejecting any "Great hub" comment son them instead lol

1. Lisa HW profile image60

Or (I've gotten a couple of these) "whatever".  lol   I think I left one and rejected one.  There's only so many "whatevers" I see as "balance"  lol

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Now you listen here young lady, you get yourself OUT of the forums and go write up those sales hubs, I don't care how much of a pain in the butt they are to write <insert sales talk here>. Getting in here and hanging out in these forums will not get them written. tongue

I published one! big_smile Now to go work on the others. I give myself a forum talk reward after each capsule. =P

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

You'll develop a system soon, and you'll just kind of robotically (sort of, of course I don't really mean "robotically") get into a step 1, step 2, type of thing; and they won't seem like such a drag to start.

Ok I've finished my hubs. That's three for the day so I'm done for now! Time to chat up a storm big_smile (Or should I go do the housework? Naaaa.....)

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Housework @ 10pm....... you Queenslanders have strange notions.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)