Comments question.......

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I have had someone who has visited several times and commented with very long comments on one of my hubs, He stopped for a few weeks and now comments to other commenters (very long comments), not to me, on one my hubs.

They are positive comments, just excessive.

What do you do just approve and don't worry about it?

Or What?

Does it even matter how much comments are on the hub?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let people interact on your hub.  Unless they are spamming some links to stupid crap and jacking up your tag focus, let people participate in your ideas.  That means your hub is working.  Doesn't even matter if they agree with you.  If your hub is so good that people are emotionally engaged enough to pipe in to that degree, be glad you write so compellingly.

2. nicregi profile image64
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Diane Inside!

Normally I would approve all the comments and create a good and healthy conversation.

However, if the person is posting nonsense or even stalking, then report it to the admins and I believe they will do something towards it smile

Comments are good (regardless if they are positive or negative) as people are giving you a chance to know what others are thinking. If it is a bad one, learn from it and thank you the person. If it is a good one, keep up the good work and give yourself a nice small treat for a job well done!

Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah its iffy, I did look at his profile and he has no hubs written only comes to comment thats it. So I don't know don't think its stalking given the nature of the hub, but who knows.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

It's a menace. I would either deny them or tell him to back off. Many people are much more tolerant, and long comments may even add prestige to your hubs.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image61
      Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well--if it were a form of stalking, that would be a menace. If it's someone genuinely interested in the topic, what's the harm?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, comments are used for people to lecture, to show off and so on - then it becomes a menace, even if apparently "well-intended."

If someone is showboating but is a moron, you just destroy them.  Deleting or dreading comments is an admission of weakness.  If you have a point, and it's good, and you have the rhetorical skills to carry off an argument (which you should have if you are a writer) then why run from the confrontation?  If you dodge conflict because it's uncomfortable you are tacitly recognizing that the opposition is right.  Nut up or don't write at all.

1. profile image0

If "you" means me, I take exception to what you are saying. If a comment is in poor taste, I will delete it - period. Others can set their own standards.

I was speaking to the universal you. I thought it was pretty obvious, so please don't spend any extra effort trying to be offended.  My point was that people (writers, "you") should have conviction when they write.  If they are just throwing up random crap that they can't defend, then they shouldn't write it to begin with.

1. profile image0

I find your point of view somewhat overly broad and simplistic. People write for all sorts of reasons.

Yes, but do they write stuff they don't mean or have no commitment to? 

I'm not even saying that's "wrong."  My point is, in a thread that is examining comments on hubs, that if you write stuff you are on the fence about, don't understand, are wrestling with, have a half-assed grasp of... and people comment on it in a way that feels aggressive or offensive, you (not YOU you, just You in general… don’t be offended) only have yourself to blame. 

Don't write about stuff and post it in a public place if you aren't ready to deal with the consequences of your public declaration.  To think you can post some half-baked approach to some topic on THE INTERNET of all places and then avoid consequence is naive beyond measure.  (Again, I'm not saying YOU are naive, I'm making a broader point about people in general not an attack on you personally.)

Boy, didn't know I was gonna be opening up a can of worms. lol

Thanks for the different view points. Guys.

3. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

That's great--knowing that your hubs are generating interest and encouraging conversations among other hubbers is good.  The comments being left are an indication that you're doing something right! (unless of course the comments have nothing to do with your content. . . .)

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

As long as they are constructive, they should be fine. In fact they are good because they appear to google as 'fresh content'.

I have heard some pro hubbers mention they don't like too many comments because it 'waters down' your keywords.

But I think it's completely up to you. I don't know if there can be too many comments - some popular hubs have hundreds.

fresh content, good point.
      thanks a bunch.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is true, comments are part of what makes the hub dynamic since it is constantly  changing.  If your targeted keyword is used too much then the overall keyword density is affected.

For the OP, extremely long comments will have a "watering down" affect on your keyword density.  Of course this is only important if you are concerned about earning adsense revenue from your hub.

5. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Thanks guys that's a help, so they are nice comments, and relevant to most of what the hub is about. I just didn't know if there is such a thing as too much.

I really appreciate you input.

6. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I also have someone who has left some very long comments on one of my hubs, and in fact it looks more like blogging than anything else (about a dozen or so very informational comments loosely related to my hub) and has actually been answering questions about the comments. Personally, I think it's great..."he" (not sure if male or female) is knowledgeable on the subject and the observations and experience jibe with my own experience in the area, and so he's basically saving me a lot of work while adding a ton of extra information to my hub. Where's the lose there?

yeah your right, never thought of it that way, thanks a bunch.

7. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I went and checked out one of your hubs, the one about being deaf in one ear, and the comments that followed, and I see what you mean.  I can suggest two things, both of which I might do myself.  One would be to take out the old comments so that the newer ones are easier to see.  The other is to maybe suggest if you have one person that is doing most of the commenting, that they could write to you at your email address, unless there is content in the comments that you want to have shared.  This is what I would and have done from time to time.

okay, I see, I really didn't think about taking out old comments.

And yes that's the hub I was talking about.

He seems nice enough just long winded.

And yes I guess I could suggest email correspondence as well, I'll have to think about that one.

As I am not sure I want to keep up correspondence to the degree that he might. lol 

In any case thanks for taking a look and understanding my quandry.

8. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I had one hub that a lady began making long comments on, and it was about the subject, but more about the subject and how it was happening in her family.  I asked her to email me instead of making her personal life public on my hub, and she did.  I wrote her back one or two times, and she stopped communicating because the effect she was after was gone.  I believe she was just after attention, and after it became private it was over.  It is a different situation each time, and therefore up to your discretion.

well dd, I really do appreciate, your suggestions, and I will take it under advisement especially if he continues in this manner, so far nothing today.

Anyway thanks, I really appreciate it.

9. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I was curious, so I checked this out.  Here's my read on the specific Hub and comments mentioned:

You stated more than once (in it) that you are interested in knowing about other people's experiences.  You specifically requested comments.  The long-winded, frequent poster mentioned that he had found your "blog" through an internet search.  He was not a part of HubPages before that time, and apparently he joined only so that he could comment on your Hub.  (He didn't have to do so, but he may not have known that.)

Since he thinks of your Hub as a blog, he's also apparently thinking that the comments are like a message board, where anyone can jump in and converse with others who comment.  I didn't read all of his posts, but that was how it seemed to me as I read.

As for your question about whether to leave them or not, I agree with others who have mentioned that new comments add dynamism to the Hub.  If you want to direct his interest elsewhere, you could just suggest in one of your replies that he check out some of the other very interesting Hubs on health matters and hearing.  smile

10. 4x4 profile image61
    4x4posted 13 years ago

>They are positive comments, just excessive.
    >What do you do just approve and don't worry about it?
    It's case to case, but 99% of the time I approve comments to my hubs.

>Does it even matter how much comments are on the hub?
    I think it does matter but being relatively new, I am not a hundred percent sure on how that goes. But I am sure that a healthy doze of comments and interaction, do a lot more good than bad.

Keep writing what you enjoy writing about, and I am pretty sure that whatever it is, it is working.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)