Are you torn between the need to write personal poetry and stories....

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

......and the internal conflict of revealing these things to the world through the possibility of publication? I Wonder sometimes if famous writers suffer this way.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not famous, but I'm not even in any conflict over it.   I  would very much love to really write what I need to write, but I know there's no way I would ever do that  -  not even under a fake name or under the guise of "fiction"  (which would have to be suspiciously similar to everything in my real life   hmm  ).

So, when I'm not writing stuff that isn't personal at all; and when I'm writing what I think of as "personal" stuff, I'll "hint" at the real stuff when I write, but that leaves me exhausted because of how much writing it takes and how much effort it takes to tell the story without just saying what I need to say.

I'm discovering, though, that trying to "sort of hint" and "sort of tell a story" is like opening a "brain valve" and having real trouble shutting it again.  I almost think it's better just to keep that brain valve closed forever and let it rust shut.    The trouble is, if you try to do that the pressure builds up and a lot of words start shooting out with a lot of force.    My thing isn't so much a matter of being torn, as it is a matter of being exhausted trying to manage how much and how long I let that brain valve be open.  Another problem is that once I've let a bunch of words come rushing out and filling pages, I still haven't emptied out the thoughts that need to come out; and all I end up with is a big, mess, of half-baked writing that didn't do what I needed it to do.   hmm

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, interesting how this happens, I dont have much trouble writing it, but sharing it is different, lot of baggage there I guess.  The hub and the box in my closet have two very different  venues, one is fairly open  the other locked under key.

2. Michael Leifer profile image59
      Michael Leiferposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you read my hubs, the answer will be in some of those.

3. writinginalaska profile image79
      writinginalaskaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been writing for 3 years now,   terrified in the beginning to put my stuff out on the net for the world to see.  Thinking somehow only in my own mind was i a good writer.   Even after i sent excerpts out of my work to a select few and asked them for honest feedback.  The reports were glowing and still i relented.   FINALLY  I found Hubpages, and the flood gates burst open, courage flowed and  i have never looked back.   It's almost cleansing to have my work out there now,  i have never written so hard or so furiously than since i became a Hubber.   Personal stuff or fiction, it's all good, so i say  "let your pen fly"!

4. CBM1987 profile image60
      CBM1987posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its nothing about writing to be famous or finding that acknowledgment, for me its how to twist the world in your own way through the writings you leak onto paper.
      Though I always wondered what it would be like if people really did love the stuff i made.  Would my life be better, but then again think of this way I believe all good writers even great writers suffer some way or another to find the ability they now have

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I write what I feel, maybe too much so, but there you are. I am just compelled to I reckon.

ralwus,  I can write really honestly about how I feel if it only involves me and my feelings.  Where I wish I could be more honest is when other people are the ones I'd like to write about.  lol   In all seriousness, I just can't risk hurting people or ending relationships over some of the stuff I feel.  hmm  I guess my thing is that my gripes are about other people.  When I'm not worried about their feelings I'm not able to risk letting "some people" know they've managed to apparent aim to get the best of me.    I've actually considered seeking a counselor to "vent on", but the Catch 22 of the need to write is really also the need to let those people see how I feel (which, of course, would mean putting it on the Internet  lol  ).  That's why a counselor wouldn't end the need to just make things public, and it's why writing in a "secret notebook" wouldn't do it either.   hmm

2. profile image0

Perfect ralwus, cant agree more.....nice hubs there...

3. profile image0

there are ways of doing that without revealing who it is you are writing about. I know how you feel Lisa, but holding onto some of those things can be harmful to one's soul too.

Oh, I know.   I can't believe I'm being quite this candid (but again, I have no problem being brutally honest about just my own feelings), but I'm pretty much nowhere near the same person I "really am" or once was.  I'm just like one, big, vial of hidden vitriol; packaged in a reasonably pleasant persona.   lol   roll  I can just imagine the heart disease building up as we speak.   lol  (I don't really think it's funny either, although it's so extreme and so against my real nature, it just does strike me funny.) 

I've actually (and often) considered writing under a completely different name, not linking to anything else, etc. etc., and just saying what I need to say; but, you know what?   I'm so frozen into keeping it all "a big, secret" I can't even imagine doing that.  How stupid is that!

1. profile image0

Lisa W, your point about the brain valve is an important one, you got me thinking. We have t keep that in the open position......

2. profile image0

So true , holding crap in takes away living!

...that's for sure.  At this point, my thing is (whether in writing or in person) I can't even really contain it.  I mean, someone will say, "Nice day," and whatever I answer back seems to contain some crap-related thread that has nothing to do with "Nice day".   lol.

1. profile image0

Lisa Hw, I find that even at my age , i feel the same , if I could change anything in life , i would be less perceptive of how that other person responds and just concentrate on the  comments value and intent.....

4. profile image0

thank you ahorseback. A belated welcome to you. I will check out your stuff shortly then.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I'm pretty sure that this 'being torn' thing is common to many authors, particularly in their first major work.  They want to tell the world of a personal experience or experiences but are self-conscious to the point they can only get it out there as 'fiction.'  (assuming the reader won't realize that!)

We reveal our character to a great degree in our writing.  For the introvert -and many writers are shy  - exposing our feelings is often viewed as dangerous: people might scoff, people might laugh, people might be disgusted.   We nearly all long for approval, after all.

But, strangely enough, readers admire the person who has the guts to bare their soul.  They sense it has taken courage to do so and admire the writer for it.

1. saddlerider1 profile image58
      saddlerider1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am a soul barer I hold back nothing, maybe it's easier for an older writer to bare ones soul and not hold back or try to bury who they are in a fictional manner. I have see the fire and the rain and felt the pain and sorrow in my younger years of growing up in a very turbulent home. At this hour of my life I hold back nothing and by writing who I am and sharing my tribulations, many comments have been left with a thank you for being honest and sharing they way I do. My courage has come with age:0)

6. vietnamvet68 profile image60
    vietnamvet68posted 13 years ago

For me it is writing personal accounts of things from the past. But on the other hand i find it enjoyable writing poems.

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'm not famous either, nor am I torn.  I think my life has been very boring, therefore nobody will be interested in reading it anyway.  It works well when it's time to release the inner self through writing. smile

8. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

No I'm not torn. I'm not a creative writer and I'm a private person so I don't need to let it all hang out.  Besides I don't trust the net with any personal info.  I like writing hubs.  Of course that may change in the future if I feel like doing something more challenging.  Who knows?

9. b. Malin profile image66
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

Yes. Sometimes I am torn for I want to please my reader.  But I also want to please myself.  I too am a very private person, so I try to let"a little hang out in my writings".  I know as I write more, I will let myself go more. Feed back is so important to a writer, I think it's our Blood Line.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)