Ready to write sales hubs; should I set up a different profile?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. BennyTheWriter profile image68
    BennyTheWriterposted 13 years ago

Hey good people,

I'm ready to take on the challenge (possibly a HubChallenge) of writing sales hubs and promoting Amazon products specifically.  But I'm wondering if I should create a new profile for that purpose.  I'm developing a very good readership among fellow hubbers with my "Knowledge and Wisdom" hubs and I don't want to loose that by suddenly putting up a whole bunch of sales hubs, which understandably might turn a lot of them off.

I know it's "up to me," but I'm looking for real in-depth advice on the matter.  Thanks a lot, any help as always is appreciated smile

1. lorlie6 profile image71
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi BennyTheWriter-I've been considering the very same thing.  After reading some of the responses here, I think what I may do is write 'sales hub' in my own 'voice.' smile Make sense?  I'm thinking that I really don't want to alienate my readers, but would like to make a bit more money.  So why not try to combine our 'styles' with products? 
      I have yet to do this, but I think I'm going to give it a try-let us know what you decide, okay?

BennyTheWriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's an excellent thought lorlie6, thanks!  It's a relief to find someone else with the same concern--I too have considered writing sales hubs in "my own voice."  I think I might be able pull it off, to some degree at least!  I might also just set up a separate blog for the purpose.  I'll certainly keep in touch about my decision  smile

2. WordofMouse profile image41
      WordofMouseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another good reason to have more than one identity here would be to use each identity to "test" certain writing styles or hub styles. Testing is extremely important in marketing. Many copywriters write two sales letters or ads for one product or service and see which one generates more sales. I am doing the same thing here at HP. I am trying hubs of varying word counts (short hubs of 450 words to long hubs of 900 words), picture content, ad placement, writing style and format (informative vs. review vs. very "salesy"). This can help you really focus your efforts on what works and stop spending time on what doesn't work.

Great, practical idea.  I'll have to consider it from that angle.  Thanks a lot!

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Hi Benny, you don't have to set up a new profile. You can promote sales with the profile that you have already created. Make sure you don't promote your own hub in the forum posts, so that your account will not be closed.

Thanks!  I know a new profile is merely optional, but I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for retaining my readership base.

3. Smart Rookie profile image60
    Smart Rookieposted 13 years ago

I was going to do that. After several months of just goofing off here and not really having established myself, I was going to wipe the slate clean and start over with a new identity. But I didn't because the benefit is trivial.

If your readers don't want to read your sales hubs, they don't have to, but having two identities is more of an inconvenience than it's worth.

I say, be true to yourself.

Reasonable thoughts!

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Benny,

You can setup another account if you want to keep your sales hub away from your other hubs. Otherwise, there would be no reason to do so.

Thanks Cagsil.  I just don't want my followers to be "turned off" by a sudden barrage of sales hubs.

5. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

There are two schools of thought on that -
    Some feel that it is a pain, and that people will just ignore your commercial hubs, and read what grabs their interest.
    Others feel that you should set up a separate identity for your commercial hubs, and keep your "regular" writing separate from the sales oriented hubs.

I know of several, well-established and respected writers who have identities for their commercial hubs, and use a different one for other writing, and this seems to work very successfully for them.
    I have published a number of commercial hubs, and they certainly don't get the comments that others of my hubs have had, but then, that is not why they were written...and they have whatever cachet or profile power I have built to help them get ranked for Google.
    If I were going to concentrate on commercial hubs, even for a while, I would set up another ID just for that, and keep the main one for my regular writing.
    The drawback would be all the rapport building, and forum schmoozing I would probably feel compelled to carry out to build up a follower base and get my new identity known. Alternately, I can always ignore that part, and just stick to the commercial aspects - plus, I can link to them from my other profile, and/or put links to them in my well established hubs.

Pros and cons either way big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

Thanks a lot for that discussion RedElf big_smile  Really gives me a lot of food for thought.  I too think the "forum schmoozing" might be weird to repeat from the beginning, but we'll see...

6. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Benny I think some people have set up a separate profile(s) because they divulged their earnings and then other hubbers were copying their "success story".

As other hubbers have mentioned, some want to keep the two types separate.  If your loyal followers don't want to read your "sales" hubs then they won't click on them but I don't imagine that will stop them reading your other work.

Me? - I'm on the fence on this which is fairly typical of me! lol

Very interesting, thanks!  What do you mean exactly by copying success stories?

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's been some talk about people copying ideas, hubs, tags etc.

7. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I would set up a new identity for the new stuff.  If you want to bring over your 'following' you can link to your other profile for them.  But my guess would be that only a handful would jump over as most will just be professional followers there for the link ?

Also hub traffic may be good for some things but I doubt if any hubber is likely to click on anything ?

Start over new and keep the new guy out of the forums I would say.

Cool advice, thanks.  I definitely want to focus on traffic outside of HubPages for the sales articles.

2. lorlie6 profile image71
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi alternate poet-wouldn't it be considered overly promotional to link to your other 'identity' on your profile?  Lordy, sometimes I seem like such a noobie! smile

8. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

I'm glad I found this discussion, because I want to do this too. I would really like to start actually earning some money here, and adsense isn't doing it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)