Help with PC please???

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

My PC keeps shutting down, I log in, it shuts off.  Blue screen with words shuts down before I can even read it.  Please don't tell me I'm doomed....my laptop is on its last legs & I do not need the desktop to die.  Everything is back up on it so if its doomed, then everything is safe on the external.

Help!!!  Please????  Thank you!!!!!

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Earnest has a pretty good idea of the technical side of computers you might want to try and contact him.

Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ohma!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Sounds like you might have a virus. Are you able to start the computer in safe mode and run a scan?

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Ditto what WryLilt said. One of my daughters had this happen several times, and I had it happen to me once as well. Get into safe mode and run every virus scan that you can.

If you can't get it fixed, find a local PC place. They can usually get things in order for less than $100.

4. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Jane, you may want to start in in Safe mode first.  Here's a link (scroll down a little) to tell you how to do that.  If you don't see anything that rings a bell there why not come back and tell people here what you see when it's Safe mode.

http://www.computing.net/answers/window … 80861.html

Safe mode lets you do some things.  It won't let you do everything.   

You could try running a scan (in safe mode) to see if any viruses are detected.  Then if they are you can fix it when you're asked.  (A couple of weeks I got a rogue anti-virus thing in mine.  It makes your computer act like it has a virus, but it isn't necessarily a malicious virus (just a pain in the neck one).  If you can make sure your mal-ware scanning program first it would be best.  (They update - like - a couple of times a day.)

I don't know if all rogue anti-virus software "announces itself" by telling you "your PC may have a virus" (when it's happened to me I've known that was making my PC act crazy).

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Those words that appear are pretty relevant.

If you can try really hard to catch some of it before it shuts down we can help you better.

Something as simple as one of your RAM sticks going could lead to the behavior you are describing (simple because it is a relatively cheap and easy fix)

BSOD (blue screen of death) = usually a Hardware issue , or a Hardware driver issue

Try to see the stop code and compare it to this list:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/43 … top-codes/

edit- assuming you are using XP - if not what OS are you using

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LoL sorry Sunforged, offtopic but I just had to say...

All this time I thought you were holding a slug or worm in your hand, till I clicked through to your profile and saw the larger picture. big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

6. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Jane@CM - Get out your cell phone camera (or better, a digital camera) and take a pic of the screen so you can see and read the words.

Um... Can Jane still read any of this, if she can't log on?

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She mentions her laptop is on its last legs -but it seems she has that option still

great thinking on the picture idea ! You could even post it here and I would look into the stop code for you.

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

This is going to be a hardware,heat or hardware driver issue, virus' in themselves do not cause computers to shut down. Id be able to provide some input, but I would need to know if it is the laptop or desktop mentioned that is being affected.

Like Sunforged suggested, we would be able to ascertain the hardware or driver fault with the words and numbers from the Blue Screen Of Death event.

Hopefully Jane can provide more information for us.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Sometimes you can hold a BSOD by pressing the Pause/Break key as soon as it appears. The you could read it.
    Other thing to do if you have a windows repair disk is to pop it into the DVD drive and run the repair option. Can't do that if you have Windows Vista because it never came with a repair option but the previous versions do.
    However, I agree with the others here. It sound likes a hardware issue rather than a software. I had something similar happen to me and it turned out to be caused by a faulty modem.
    Try looking inside the computer case and see that everything is fully home, because if something like a memory stick moved out of place that could cause it too.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ummmm IzzyM, Windows Vista comes with a repair option,

Example here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria … al148.html

All Windows Vista based computers will come with one of two options;

1. Insert a Windows Vista Disk or
      2. Press button (x) to start Windows Vista from a recovery partition.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm feeling a bit confused now. I had to download a windows vista recovery disk because the disk that came with my computer didn't have that option. Loads of people don't have the option. ( I searched the internet months ago) Are there two types of Windows Vista disks? Maybe a full installation disk and a backup disk only? Or something...

There is two types of ways to have a version of windows depending on how one has purchased a PC (and I can understand your confusion Izzy).

1. When one buys what is called a 'bare bones' computer, this does not come with Windows (or any other) software at all and one needs to purchase, in addition, one copy of Windows on CD or DVD.

2. Over the past 7-8 years more of the 'branded' PC's (HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, etc) sell with a version of Windows on a factory set partition on the hard drive and is setup the very first time the computer is started.

There is a 'recovery' section for these computers as well as a 'factory restore' which is accessible when one starts a PC and presses a specified key (found in the quick start guide or manual that came with the computer, most often F1 or F5). One needs to be careful, factory restore wipes out EVERYTHING. These do not sell with a disc, and one can obtain a copy of the factory install from the branded manufacturer. So no discs come with purchase of the computer in the first place.

I hope this makes sense for you Izzy and I haven't confuzzled you too much lol.

9. Jane@CM profile image61

I'm here...been working on it all morning.  At first I could not even keep it on in safe mode, it would shut down in seconds.

It says something like
    "windows is shutting down to protect your computer"

I did a system restore back to the 17th of August.

I can get in now, but I can't run a full virus scan, malware, cc cleaner or any program all the way through, as the computer just shuts off.

Will go check the repair option Kangaroo.

This sounds odd, but I think its the monitor - the monitor keeps resetting itself when the computer is on.  I looked quickly for new drivers for the monitor and there are no updates.

Jane,

If you connect this computer (if at all possible) to another monitor and it still does the exact same resetting of the screen, then this tells us it is a video card problem (Hardware).

If it not doing the same reset of the monitor, it is a monitor issue and still yet also may possibly be a video card issue as well.

10. Jane@CM profile image61

Okay, this time when I started it, I got an option to do a "start-up repair".  So that is running for the 3rd time since last night.

11. Jane@CM profile image61

***Update*** It is downloading the windows updates that were deleted.

I still cannot run Norton, Malawre Bytes.  Tried to download other programs for anti virus & cannot download them.....

Its running - smile

You have done a system restore, and also a start up repair......hmmm anti-virus and anti-malware wont operate.....

Any other programs running OK (such as email, IE, Microsoft Office, photo editing, a game,  etc etc), or are they also not responding ?

I'll let you know, I haven't looked at it yet this morning - a bit afraid to!

12. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I've had hardware problems from time to time, resulting in the blue screen.  More often than not, it merely requires opening up the computer, and carefully pulling out any plug in cards, memory sticks.  Then cleaning the contacts with 99% isopropyl alcohol, and carefully plugging them back in. 

Just be sure to unplug the AC first.  It's also best to either ground yourself, or use some kind of static discharge device (grounded wrist strap).

This assumes you're not sheepish about meddling inside your computer.

Good luck Jane smile

13. Jane@CM profile image61

Blue screen again!  Here is what it says

A problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer  BAD_POOL_CALLER

Then is goes on to say the if this has happened before, start in safe mode, etc...

Now, I'm stumped.

14. sunforged profile image71

what os?

Bad pool info: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_8k9z.htm

http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/dv_7g8j.htm (driver verifier)

I would be considering a system restore or a repair installation rather than wading through possible hotfixes and individual driver installs especially considering you mentioned your system is backed up to an external

OS - Windows Vista.  Damn, I don't want to do a full restore.  I thought restoring it back to a restore point would have fixed the problem.  I just don't want to spend all the time reloading software & all those windows updates! All in all, you are right.  So much for the day sad

15. Aficionada profile image80

I don't want to horn in on Jane's problem, but I'm having a PC problem of my own, and since the gurus are checking in this forum thread I figured I could ask here.  I'll try not to usurp time/space too much. smile

My own computer (desktop, Windows XP) won't connect to the internet, and it keeps giving the message "no networks detected." Normally it has a wireless connection through a gateway that feeds into our phone line. (I hope I'm explaining it right.  I don't quite understand it actually.)

Anyway, people I have discussed this with said that Windows XP does this - fails to recognize networks - and there is some way to correct the problem, but we don't know how.  Any ideas, folks?

1. Can other computers access the wireless network (ie. You know its the PCs fault and not the networks fault/)

I have to power cycle my wireless every few weeks when my laptop cant find the network (the rest of the PC's are wired)

Why wireless for a desktop?

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I got sidetracked elsewhere.

I need to contact my husband to get help in explaining this.  He set it all up.  But until then...

I am working on his computer downstairs now, with a good internet connection.  I think it (his) is wired directly to the gateway, but I'll double-check about that.  My computer is upstairs.  We have available the cables to run through the ceiling up to my computer, but we haven't made those connections yet, because it has worked so far to let my computer use the wireless connection.  (So far.)

Is that enough info for now?

It doesnt give you a solution, but in general there is no reason to not have your desktop wired if you have the cabling to make it possible, it should be faster and it will eliminate any wireless network troubleshooting in your future.

16. Aficionada profile image80

Ughghghgh - I'm so glad there are people who understand this.  I just get by.  Here's the latest scoop:

Our gateway has ports for four cable connections, but only one is used; it also has channels for about six wireless connections.  That includes my desktop, my son's laptop and my husband's laptop.  Last week my son had a problem similar to what I'm experiencing, but it was resolved just by rebooting his computer.

This morning, my husband reloaded the drivers for the wireless card in my computer (a Broadband card). He also deleted the card and rebooted the computer; the computer then recognized the card and said the drivers are working properly.  [I'm not sure I have reported this in the correct sequence.  I was scribbling fast.]  But Windows says "no wireless network is available."  He says that something in the computer got tripped (great technical term) and now we don't know how to untrip it.

Sorry, I was writing this when your post showed up, SF.  I'll leave it for now.  Thanks for the responses.

17. timorous profile image80

You may need to unplug and/or reset the gateway router.  Shut down and reboot all the computers.  If one of the computers still doesn't recognize the network, you may have to delete and re-install the network module (software driver) for that machine.

Hope that helps.  Sometimes they just lose their place and have to be reminded.  Stupid Windows. mad

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, timorous.  I appreciate your suggestion! big_smile

I think that we have deleted and re-installed the driver (if I understand it correctly), but this wasn't done after resetting the gateway, as far as I know.  We can certainly try that to see if it helps.  Stupid Windows, indeed. mad

big_smile mad lol

18. Jane@CM profile image61

So now back to ME please.  Thank you lol

I have to admit, I'm scared to death to do a system restore.  When I start it, it asks which files to back up & I choose photos....its taken almost 4 hours to create a backup file and its not just backing up photos, its backing up all the HP games & other useless crap and programs that I thought I deleted!  Sheeesh, I canceled the back up. Almost all my photos are on my external and discs - but I just so fearful of this unknown.

sigh....

Yes it will restore all the bloatware that came with the PC unless you have intentionally made an image backup after removing the bloatware.

(bloatware - stupid trials,games and other random crap)

19. Jane@CM profile image61

I believe the PC is dead.  After I canceled the backup, the big blue screen of death came back and that is all I get now.  Can't even get into safe mode.

Next dilemma - take it in to see if it can be fixed or buy a new one. 

All my son's music is on there.  His ipod fell into the toilet and doesn't work anymore - so all the music he has on itunes will be gone sad

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jane, you can call iTunes customer service and explain that the computer, with all the music files, is dead. they will allow him to get back his entire music library one time and he can restore it on the new computer.

20. sunforged profile image71

Were you using an XP disk for system restore?

You can still restore the PC, you just need to boot from disk.

or use recovery console:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

21. timorous profile image80

Ohhh Jane:  It sounds like a serious hardware problem, not a software problem.  I'll bet what's on the hard drive is fine.  Could be some controller chips on the motherboard aren't functioning properly.  When that happens the motherboard is toast.  Or the power supply is malfunctioning.

You should pull out each of the plug-in cards (video etc.) and try them in another working computer.  Be careful with memory card swapping..they need to be compatible with the motherboard they're installed in.

You could also try installing the hard drive in another working computer.  Although there again, some motherboards and XP object to major changes to the system.

Good luck again, Jane.

btw, the bad news is..if you need a new motherboard, it's always best to wipe the operating system and programs off the hard drive, and do a totally clean re-install. Sorry.

22. sunforged profile image71

Before thinking its the worst, I would expect no other result after canceling a restore midpoint.

Until you actually do a full and proper reinstall or restore you cant troubleshoot any other problems.

23. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think you should get it to a trusty repair shop ASAP.  It sounds like there's a lot more going on and not just a virus.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)