My Uncle has just weeks to live!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. nasus loops profile image65
    nasus loopsposted 13 years ago

My uncle has been battling against bowel cancer for 18months now and was just about to start having a second course of chemotherapy when he was admitted to hospital at the beginning of the week.  Providing he had the chemo it looked like he certainly had at least 5-6 months if not more to live, yet the family were told last night that he is not well enough to undergo chemo and has just weeks to live.  My mum is one of seven children and has already lost one brother and now even though she was expecting the worse it has completely knocked her for six.  Any suggestions on how I might be able to support her?  I have not been to the hospital to see him as of yet! I want to remember him as he was before the illness won its battle.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you just gotta be there for her, man...encourage her, comfort her...thats really all you can do and hope and pray for the best...

2. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear your news of your uncle, life sometimes does indeed deliver hard knocks. As for supporting your mum, probably all you can really do is to be there for her to support her, and to talk and listen to her. Though of course it is a hard time, people can be resilient (though of course that does not take away the fact that it is a difficult and sad period).

If you were close to your uncle, you might want to visit him. I did not visit my grandmother before she died, and that is my one regret. I was going to the next week ( but it was too late. We were not expecting her to die, but be discharged, so I didn't realise the urgency. Anyway, my thoughts are with you.

nasus loopsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that Polly.  I am fairly close to my uncle, but have such terrible memories of my father when he died that I feel that I just don't want to remember my uncle the same way, attached to tubes and pipes etc.

I know I will probably regret not seeing him so I will try and get over to the hospital soon.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is hard time for the family, HUGS for you Nasus! I still suggest you can see him, and even if no words just being there is good,

Hi pretty. 

Thanks for your words.  I am going to try and get over and see him this week.  I have been away over the weekend and it appears that he is being transferred to a hospital nearer home so it will be easier to visit him for all the family.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63

Hi Nassus, thats good,
          but don't try, just a HUG -- tight HUG will make a difference

Thanks Pretty.  I feel there will be hugs and hand holding along with free flowing tears. Followed hopefully by laughter as the memories are told and relived for his grandchildren to hear.

I'm a poet and didn't even know it.  Can't believe that actually rhymed above.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63

yes you're a poet, a good one --

that will be good you are going to meet him, but if tears will flow, smile afterwards,  update us then!

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Knowing that you are there for her will help. Encourage her to spend as much time as she wants with him and the family.

Let her cry, be grumpy or shout whatever she feels like as she will be on an emtional roller-coaster. She needs to spend time with him to say the things now that she needs to share with him.

I have never ventured into this forum before - I lost someone to cancer two years ago. We thought they could cure him but it was not to be.

My 'children' helped me cope in different ways but by being there mostly and sometimes just by offering me a cup of tea and someone to talk to helped.

Hi 2uesday

Thank you for your comments.  I will definately be there for her when she needs a shoulder to cry on or a cuppa. 

It is just horrible seeing her going through this and bringing all the memories back of when my father died 19 years ago to cancer.   She sat at his bedside for as long as the hospital would allow her to back then and I hate the thought that she is remembering that horrid time again.

3. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

You sound like a very close family, I hope that will be of help to you all in the weeks to come. I cannot find the right words, I am sorry.

Thank you for your thoughts though 2uesday.  It is of help to me just being able to air my thoughts on here, even if nobody replies it helps me.  Thanks again.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

so sorry to hear. I would encourage supporting her with your presence if possible. visiting him would be a huge show of support. times like these are so important even if difficult.
    I wish you and your family strength. your uncle will love to see you.

Hi rebekahELLE

Thank you for your kind wishes of support.  I am pleased to say that I will be visiting him tonight, but apparently he has already started to weaken and has taken to his bed. 

Family are rallying round well and supporting each other though.

5. herbdr profile image61
    herbdrposted 13 years ago

Hi there, my job is to console and comfort the terminally ill yes and I am exceptionally good at it. With that said if he is still responsive there is slim hope with holistic means due to time and even slimmer with traditional due to the fact that they stop chemo. He needs to be able to swallow to use most holistic information. Let me make it clear that I am not a DOCTOR and I AM NOT GIVING YOU ADVICE just telling you about others who survived, I have no financial interest in the products mentioned. The ultimate decision is in the hands of Faith! I can't give you my links or hubs but until UNCLE GIVES UP, Google and search for natural products that have alledged cytotoxic behavior with cancer cells. I will include you and your family in my most sincere prayers.

Hi Herbdr

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.  Unfortunately my uncle is now quite weak and already not taking food and limited fluid. 

I fear it will not be long before he passes on.

6. nasus loops profile image65

Hi everyone.

I have been to see my uncle tonight and did not no what to expect really.  However even after speaking with my mum this morning I was still surprised to see how quickly he had deteriorated.  I was expecting him to be able to talk, but he was just able to open his eyes, put his hand out for me to hold and say a very quiet hello.  I must say that looking at him I fear that we do not have weeks on our side, it looks more like days as it appears he has given up the fight.  He no longer wants any help from the medical profession, although I think I have managed to convince my aunt to get the Dr out tomorrow.  Bless her she is being so strong, but you can see that she is wilting inside.  I prey that he dies peacefully and as bad and horrible as it sounds soon so that he can be at peace, and so that his wife, my aunt, does not have to see the man she has loved for so many years die a horrible drawn out death.

The tears have flowed from my eyes tonight, but I feel happy that I have seen him before he passes.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts

7. profile image51
    joeleebassyposted 13 years ago

My friend, trust and have faith in God because there's nothing God can not do. It may be hard to overcome today but i know that God can seize the storm of your life.

Thanks Joeleebassy.  I wish I could believe in what you say, but with so much death by illness in my family I find it very hard to believe in him.  I believe that there may be life after death and it is these people that sometimes protect us when we are in need of it, but I do not feel able to put my faith anywhere else these days.  I wish  I could!

8. profile image50
    wambuposted 13 years ago

Hi I don't know if you believe in miracles but i do.

Say a prayer and thanks God for him. Ask God for Guidance, many people have seen God's own hand turn around situations that man couldn't do a thing about. It is the power of faith and prayer.

I Got a miracle when my nephew almost died a month ago.He is now healthy> Nothing is impossible to God. Just ask him.

Ask your uncle to repent his sins before God, we all have to do that, sick or healthy.Let Jesus take control. He will if you ask him.

9. billchucks profile image61
    billchucksposted 13 years ago

i am speechless. as i do not know what to say
    though i be speechless. i ask God to give u the courage and ur mum the courage to be able to see u guys through this predicament. strengthen ur faith and if its God's will ur uncle would be well again

Thank you for your kind wishes billchucks.  The family as a whole are sticking together and taking it in turns to visit daily so as not to tire him out to much.  I am grateful for your prayers, even though I am not a follower of God, I do not understand his logic for removing people from this earth (but that's another story though).

Thank you again and we will try to stay strong for each other.

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Nasus loops,

Best wishes and thoughts go out to you and your family. hmm

Thanks for you thoughts Cagsil

11. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

many good thoughts and wishes your way and to your family as well.

Thank you for your thoughts and wishes pinkylee.

12. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

I can understand the pain you and your family are going through.Sometimes nothing seems to be in our hands and have to take things as they come in our life.Sorry your uncle is suffering so much.

Hi Uma07.  Thanks for your comment.  Thankfully it appears that he is in no pain, so the painkillers he is taking must be working.  Following a hospital appointment yesterday they have said no more than 8 weeks.  The only grace I think we all have is that his immediate family seem to have excepted what is going to happen and are just enjoying him for the time that is left.

13. nasus loops profile image65

I have just received the news that my Uncle died during the night.  It can only be said that although he will be sorely missed by all friends and family, he is finally out of the misery that cancer causes its sufferers. 

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts during the past few weeks.

14. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

nasus loops, sorry to see this thread and its progression over the last several weeks; and, of course, sorry to know your uncle lost his battle with cancer.  You're right, though - at least he's no longer suffering with that devastating illness.  Condolences.

Thank you Lisa HW.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)