The effect of using artificial Sweetners.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. ezzy1512 profile image59
    ezzy1512posted 13 years ago

What are really the side effect of artificial sweetners in the human system?

1. profile image50
      KathMarieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard it does something to your brain.  A guy had small holes in his brain from consuming artificial sweeteners.

2. flounderingsahm profile image40
      flounderingsahmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From what I understand, it also tricks your body in to believing that is going to be getting extra calories...when those calories don't get obsorbed, you actually end up eating more to compensate.  I've noticed this when I drank a lot of diet pepsi, I was always so hungry!  Moderate sugar or Stevia liquid is all I use now.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't the same thing happen, then, with stevia?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

from what I've read about stevia, there haven't been long term studies to really know about its effects to the human body. there is a steviacafe.net site which talks about it. http://www.steviacafe.net/dangers-of-stevia
             well, one or the other are not good choices. I agree...
          I don't drink it at all.  basically any ingredient with an 'ose' on the end of the word is a from of sugar.

"When you drink a diet soda, your brain is getting feedback that you are having something sweet, but it is not getting any extra calories," he says. "People who have diet drinks also tend to eat more simple carbohydrates; they crave them because they didn't get them when the sweetness hit their tongue." If you are going to drink soda, Dr. Oz says to drink a regular one and do so rarely."  Dr. Oz

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sweeteners are based on a lot of different chemicals.  It is argued that some of them have toxic effects (for example impairing short term memory), but at the amounts most people consume them they are unlikely to really affect your health.

4. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cancer.

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Interesting subject.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I definitely avoid them if I can. Of course, right now I'm drinking a diet coke... I can't always...

4. Lady Rose profile image75
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

Sweets are only good if in their natural context, and even so, not too much of it is reccomended. Cancer thrives on sugar, so a total absence of sugar can actually rid of cancer cells.
    All that to say, sugar is good inside a fruit, a fresh juice, real honey, natural sugar cane juice, etc. This is about natural sweetenings.
    Artificial sweetenings are just pure poison and should not be ingested if you care about your health and your future.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

aspartame is a combination of two amino acids, one of the breakdown chemicals being toxic methanol (the same stuff spewing from the oil spill). 'CH3OH. Methanol is the simplest alcohol and is toxic. At high concentrations, methanol can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and death. Acute exposure may cause blindness. Chronic exposure to methanol can cause liver damage.'

it is not intended for human or animal consumption and is used in anti-freeze, paint thinner, windshield wiper, fuel additives.

it's better to drink regular soda if you need your sweet drink.
    or try to wean yourself away from sweetened drinks. people are tricked into drinking these diet sodas because of fewer calories, so they drink more.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"it's better to drink regular soda if you need your sweet drink." Well, yeah, but regular soda is chock-full of high-Fructose Corn Syrup, which is also pretty bad for you. In large amounts, like any sugar, it'll eventually give you diabetes. Even in small amounts, it's been linked to various illnesses (pressed for time; can't find the link just now. Will later if there's interest.)

I'd go with the "Throwback" versions of your favorite soft drinks. Those ones use sucrose (that is, table-sugar) from sugar cane. Sucrose, too (like any refined sugar) has its associated ill-effects (tooth decay, diabetes, &c), but it's the lesser of the evils.

2. manlypoetryman profile image80
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just read about this last night, rebekahELLE. Thank you for sharing this with everyone. The article I read was entitled "Aspartame poisioning"...wish I had the link handy.

But...it stated...for the reasons you mentioned above...that it is similiar to poisioning! It is worth evryone looking into...if you ever eat or drink anything that is "Sugar Free". This morning...I found aspartame listed in the ingredients of my wife's "healthy" yogurt. needless to say...those particular yogurts are in the trash. I believe this particular ingredient has already contributed to alot of folks conditions. Look at the amount of diet sodas that some folks consume!

6. southtexascowboy profile image60
    southtexascowboyposted 13 years ago

I'm far from being an expert or a dietitian. However, natural sweeteners are better for your health. Some science researchers indicate that artificial sweeteners have been linked to cancers.

Sugar is not a bad thing but to much of anything is not a good thing either. If you desire to sweeten without using sugar, try honey, natural syrups, fruit sugars or nectar as a replacement.

Somewhere I recall reading about soda pop, soft drinks or what ever you would call Coke Cola or Dr Pepper drinks, but they contain as much as 14 teaspoons of sugar.

Acesulfame Potassium (K) was approved for use by the FDA as a safe artificial sweetener in July, l988. Acesulfame K apparently produced lung tumors, breast tumors, rare types of tumors of other organs (such as the thymus gland), several forms of leukemia and chronic respiratory disease in several rodent studies, even when less than maximum doses were given. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, it was petitioned on August 29, l988 for a stay of approval by the FDA because of "significant doubt" about its safety.

Foods containing saccharin no longer carry a label stating that the "use of this product may be hazardous to your health ...contains saccharin which has been determined to cause cancer in laboratory animals." This warning was lifted in 2001 by the American FDA as saccharin no longer has been connected to cancer in human beings:

There are a dozen other brands of artificial sweeteners which have not had sufficient studies over long term use. My suggestion, while use something that sincerely doesn't taste as good as natural sugar anyway. Although if you can't have sugar, then use other natural sources first.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why in earth  do people drink this junk?

Water. Juice.  Good for you.  Milk in moderation,  coffee, tea. Still good for you.

It amazes me that people don't understand this.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What research has linked sweeteners to cancer?  I see people say that but I don't think it;s true.

7. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 13 years ago

You are risking your health by using artificial sweeteners, altho' I understand the toxic chemicals found in these products can take years to put you at risk.

Why not use "Stevia"?  It is an herb, very sweet and poses no risks.

8. ahostagesituation profile image80
    ahostagesituationposted 13 years ago

I don't like Stevia, especially for cooking.  I like Agave...what I like most though is sugar.  Even for diabetics it's fine in moderation.

9. profile image0
    miolunaposted 13 years ago

Problems with health...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)