Too many tomatoes

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (47 posts)
  1. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

Okay, so I have been having so much success growing tomatoes. I had some great lettuce but then it bolted and I started some more but don't have enough to make salad every day. Does anyone have a recipe for tomato juice similar to V-8. What else can you do with tomatoes. I give them away, cook with them, but would rather eat them raw if possible.

1. sarovai profile image72
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tomato juice with sugar , I like. I prepare myself.

2. GojiJuiceGoodness profile image56
      GojiJuiceGoodnessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We eat tomatoes sliced on a sandwich with mayonnaise or cheese. You could also add some pickles.

You can make tuna salad, slice off the top of the tomato & empty it. Stir the insides of the tomato into the tuna salad & then stuff the tomatoes with this tuna. It's great for a snack or meal.

We also make a vinaigrette/Italian salad dressing type thing & slice tomatoes into a pan & pour this over it.

We also make basil pesto, grated cheese, cooked noodles and diced tomatoes together for a meal or snack.

There are zillions of things to do with tomatoes, as we have learned. During the summer, we generally have about 1 bushel of tomatoes in the house at all times--we spread them across the kitchen counter & it takes up a space about 3x8 feet. tongue I know what you mean about having lots of tomatoes!

1. sagebrush_mama profile image60
        sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tomato sandwiches are the BEST!!!!  I'm loving the beginning of the tomato harvest!

3. much_more_gooder profile image61
      much_more_gooderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a housewife of a single income family, I am always looking for new ways to pinch pennies. When tomatoes in my local store go on sale, I'll buy a bunch and immediately make a big batch of homemade spaghetti sauce, divide them up into different jars and then freeze them. Sometimes I'll get fancy and make different flavored ones like Classico. However, when it's homemade, I know what goes in them, and it's certainly NOT preservatives.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Then just it eat them raw. smile

Slice them, put into a bowl and add a bit of salt and oil. Mayonnaise will work too, as well as heavy cream. Enjoy smile

elayne001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misha. I do that too, but I can only take so many raw tomatoes. I have been cooking tortellini, drain, through in a bunch of tomato and adding pesto sauce. That is my favorite for sure, but not every meal : )

3. tonymac04 profile image71
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Tomatoes can be frozen while fresh. Wrap them individually in cling wrap and pop them into the freezer. When you need a tomatoe for a stew or casserole take it out and thaw it slightly. Removing the cling wrap will automatically peal the tomatoe so you have a ready-peeled tomatoe to shove into the stew or casserole! Hope that helps!

Good idea tonymac04 - I will try that - I like the idea of ready-peeled tomatos!

4. just jobs profile image61
    just jobsposted 13 years ago

We can a couple hundred pounds of tomatoes every year. We have just started canning the juice too, instead of letting it go down the sink - it makes terrific tomato soup. Use home-jarred tomatoes in place of any canned tomato in a recipe, and it will improve the recipe 100%.

Thanks for your advice just jobs. I haven't canned in years, but guess I could start again. It seems much cheaper just to buy the cans nowadays in bulk. I did make juice yesterday with my tomatoes, but probably need to mix it with carrot juice or some other veggie to get the taste I desire.

1. just jobs profile image61
        just jobsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It might be cheaper, but I doubt it. And you can't compare the cost of the crappy, nutrient-poor canned tomatoes with the organic, nutrient-rich, infinitely tastier home-canned tomatoes.

Good luck!

5. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

In the context of this forum thread, are 'tomatoes' a food item, or a code word for something naughty?

You can make it anything you want it to be : )

6. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

how about salsa? or you can use the juice in a tomato aspic, or tomato cake. Tomato sandwiches, or put slices on pizza.

all great ideas - justine, now I'm getting more hungry for tomatos.

7. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

is it tomato or tomato?

depends on which school or is it school you come from (New Zealanders say shoool for school).

2. sarovai profile image72
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

tomatoes. O.k. smile

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I don't know how Tonymac freezes his tomatoes, because any time I have tried it, they defrost into a mushy mess - something to do with the high water content. However they do freeze well if you skin, quarter and remove the liquid and the seeds, then freeze flat on a tray. Once completely frozen this way, pop them in a baggie and they'll keep for long enough in the freezer. Great to add to cooked dishes where you would maybe normally use canned tomatoes.
    Other great way to freeze is to peel and chop them, and fry in olive oil until a lot of the liquid has reduced. Then freeze.
    You can also make a frito with chopped skinned tomatoes - fry in olive oil with chopped onion, garlic, teaspoon salt and teaspoon sugar (or to taste). Bubble gently for 20-30 mins or so, then put through the kitchen mixer or liquidiser to get all the lumps out. Then freeze or can.
    And yes, I wrote a hub about this! lol

Thanks so much IzzyM. You sound very knowledgeable about tomatoes. I will check out your hub too.

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

pickle or fry the green ones and tomato pie is good, slice up ripe ones and add w vinegar and sugar for a treat, blender with salt and pepper and vodka, stewed and BLTs are great, and rotten ones can be composted or thrown at politicians, or kids on bikes. jk big_smile

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good morning Ralwus my dear friend xo

10. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

What about a good ole hearty yummy tomato sauce. I drown everything with sauce. smile

11. profile image0

hello BP kiss kiss

here is a smacker right back at you xo

<off-topic graphic snipped>

12. profile image0

Oh boy!

This is your day today Charlie. xo

13. profile image0

seems to be. better tomorrow i hope. it's rainy and nast today, and cold. I need you to embrace me with those 44's.

Hahaha on my way smile

14. profile image0

I wish. been fun darlin', I must go now, duty calls and the parrot.

Cya Charlie smile

15. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brusch … and_basil/

Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil Recipe
    INGREDIENTS
    6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
    1/4 cup olive oil

or

Pico de Gallo

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,p … lo,FF.html

16. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

nothing better than sliced thick, sprinkle with basil and olive oil and a little salt (or sugar - or both) leave to marinade 30 minutes - eat with french bread if you can get it.

Bolted lettuce - chop it up into thick slices, leaves stalk and all - then fry them on high in a little olive oil for a minute, add good splash of wine if you have it and sizzle it off, then add a good splash of soy sauce, turn down the heat and cover for couple minutes.  Season if it needs it. Delicious as a veg part of a meal.

17. Corin profile image60
    Corinposted 13 years ago

You can make tomato jam

18. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

I've eaten a tomato dessert where they froze a tomato, emptied out the insides and added ice cream in, perhaps you could look around for the recipe to that if you found that interesting?

19. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Tomatoes are probably the most versatile of fruits when it comes to preserving them for winter use and like many of the other comments above you can’t beat home grown for taste or nutrition.
    Here’s a short list of some of the things my ex wife and I used to do with our surplus.
    Tiny Cherry or small plum tomatoes are great for bottling in Kilner type sealing jars.  (We preferred the all glass type jars with rubber seals to the tin lidded variety).
    Have a pan of water at a rolling boil on the stove a basin full of cold water and your jars ready.  Place the tomatoes into the boiling water a few at a time for a couple of minutes fish them out and plunge them into the cold water and skin them. Try to keep them whole.  Place them into the jar a layer at a time add a sprinkle of salt then another layer a sprinkle of salt and so on to the top packing them as tightly as you can.

Wipe the jar rims and put on the lids loosely. Put the jars into a large pan of warm water (which should nearly reach the lids) and slowly bring to the boil.  Place a linen cloth on the bottom of the pan so the jars do not come into direct contact with its hot base.  Bring up the heat until water boils, Simmer for 40 minutes.  Remove the jars from the water and tightly seal the lids.  These tomatoes will store for a year in the dark.
    Freezing is even easier, if you use those plastic take away tubs with lids you’ll find the quantity is about the same as a regular can of tomatoes.
    Any type of tomato works here, use the boiling water and cold plunge method to skin the tomatoes cut them to fit the tub and give them a sprinkle of salt and pop them into the freezer they stack well.
    I noticed above someone was anti freezing because the tomatoes defrost all mushy,  SO ?  They are just perfect for cooking sauces such as Bolognaise, or any cooking that uses a can of tomatoes. 
    Check out on online, You can air dry tomatoes in a fan oven then bottle them in olive oil ready to blitz for a quick sauce or a do it yourself  Red Pesto Sauce.

20. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

Tomato / Bean salad? Needs no lettuce..

Avocado chunks go in there nicely too (yum!).

21. Jack Burton profile image78
    Jack Burtonposted 13 years ago

You've inspired me to post my tomato soup recipe up on my hubs. Look for it under my name. I think you'll like it -- everyone else does. :-)

22. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

No, you can never have too many tomatoes! I eat them whole like fruit, have them in salads, grill them, cook with them.

I am dead jealous of you. I tried growing about 10 plants last year and did not get a single ripe one *cry*

23. Fuschia Foodie profile image60
    Fuschia Foodieposted 13 years ago

If you have a juicer throw in tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, and celery. Add a dash of Braggs liquid aminos. Makes a yummy raw juice. Sometimes I also juice in garlic and/or ginger root. You can even add a dash of cayenne. Yum!

24. weeyo profile image61
    weeyoposted 13 years ago

Easy and yummy--sliced tomato, mozarella cheese and basil with a little olive oil is a great treat.

25. Lady Rose profile image74
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

I am from Spain, and in my country there is a traditional summer soup called "Gazpacho" which is delicious, packed with vitamins and super refreshing on a hot day. It can even be your lunch.
    For 2 people,
    Cut 6 tomatos in half and scrape the insides through the bigger holes of your grater.
    Blend 2-3 garlic cloves, half a cucomber and a slice of bread.
    Pour everything into a glass jug or big container. Add some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and some vinegar or lemon juice, Stir well.
    Add some slushed ice and eat right away for more vitamin power.
    You can keep it in the fridge for a few hours later and add some ice cubes just before serving.

26. sagebrush_mama profile image60
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

I have a couple of hubs for salsa recipes.  You can make a red salsa by boiling your tomatoes along with peppers and onion/garlic, and it will freeze well for use later.  You can make a fresh "Pico de Gallo" style salsa or salsa "Bandera" (flag salsa, because of the colors).  Fresh salsas are my favorite, but the frozen ones are nice for fall/winter, when the garden is done, and the store prices again creep too high.

27. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I dont like tomatoes... Funny thing is I grow them. Some people like fried green tomatoes...

28. sabrinaaq profile image61
    sabrinaaqposted 13 years ago

I grow tomatoes and i always use them to make a super simple tomato salad. Just tomatoes with red onions, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and olive oil! i have a recipe on my hub! its soooooo yummy!!! big_smile

29. Sunny Robinson profile image68
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

Oh my gosh.  I love this entire thread.  ENTIRE THREAD! Full of tomato recipes.  Oh dear.  <3  I am also known for eating a whole tomato raw.  Now, I wish I had grown them this year.

My uses for tomatoes are very simple and boring, indeed.  I wish I had thought of all this stuff people have posted.

Here's what I do with them!
    - Tall stacking sandwich with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, red pepper relish, mayonnaise, and ketchup.
    - In variety of salads, of course.  I tend to go overboard with tomatoes.
    - I like them fresh and raw ontop of any cooked goods like stir fry, chicken, mashed potatoes, etc.

That's really all.  Thank you so much for starting this thread because now I want to do more with tomatoes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)