My hubscore is 90ish but how am I really doing?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 15 years ago

So I will post a few links to my hubs for you to look over.  (Please??)  Would like some commentary on my writng style and if the hub is interesting enough.  Seems as though I have an acceptable hub score but not a lot of fans.

Please tell me what you feel.. I won't cry .. much  wink

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-best-and-wo … y-websites

http://hubpages.com/hub/Reading-the-Oba … he-do-next

http://hubpages.com/hub/Family-Friendly-Movies-in-2009

2. Specificity profile image60
    Specificityposted 15 years ago

Alright, here's my opinion.  I warranty it to be worth every penny you paid for it!

Your first hub on the Best and Worst of Cash Survey Sites is very good.  It is written in short paragraphs that are inviting to the eye and in a compare/contrast format that is entertaining.  Furthermore, a post with a topic like this invites the kind of discussion in your comments section that is already going on there: discussion about other cash sites not covered in your article.  Lastly, it is an easy hub for AdWords to match ads to, so your targeted ads are relevant to your material.  Excellent!

Your next hub on the Obamameter is, well, awful.  First off, it's not yours.  There are 329 words in this hub and only 119 of them are yours.  The rest appear to be a direct copy&paste from someplace, but you don't attribute it.  When I say direct, I mean direct; even the size, font, and emphasis are different from item to item as if you took the items from different webpages.  To be legitimate, you need to at least attribute this information by hyperlink.

Next, political websites are guaranteed to alienate half of your readers.  Whether you can retain the half that support Obama will depend on how well your hub is written. Also, the list of promises is a work in process, so your hub will never be finished.  Lastly, if you look at the ads on this hub, they are for insurance and tax services.  Since they are not targeted to your keywords, this hub will be a lower revenue earner.

Your hub on Family Friendly Movies in 2009 is good.  Although it lacks a lot of original content, it is a great compilation of trailers and links and was of value to me personally.  The ads are content-relevant as well.

Good Luck! 
    Specificity

3. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

There is nothing wrong with writing about politics, as long as you are using your own words.  I do not believe you will be alienating half of your readers because I read a wide range of things that do not always agree with my opinion.  Anyone that is turned off just because you like Obama is taking politics way too seriously.  Like I have said before in the past if I do not find a topic interesting I will just not read it, but I have never felt alienated by a hubber just because they have different opinions than I do.  Some of my favorite hubbers have completely different outlooks than me.

1. Specificity profile image60
      Specificityposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Alienate may have been too strong a word, but political and religious hubs run a higher risk of generating a strong emotional response in the reader.  A well-written arguement may win the admiration of some of the opposition (which is I why I enjoy reading Maureen Dowd and Camille Paglia), but the anonymous nature of rating "Thumbs Up/Down" means that even a well-written hub could get a Thumbs Down (on here and StumbleUpon, etc) from someone who has an opposing view and wants to stifle traffic to that hub.  I'm sure you wouldn't do that, but there are people who will.

Therefore, it is important that you inspire the people who agree with you so they rate you well and drive traffic to your site.  That's why I think religious and political hubs need to be especially well-written.

Specificity

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thumbing down a hub would not impede search engine traffic.  Actually the more people viewing a hub that is controversial usually results in more views and a higher hub score.  There was one very controversial religious hub awhile back that had quite a bit of search engine traffic,and it still does from what I have heard regarding the comments on that hub. I do not advocate writing overly controversial hubs personally, but I myself have written of my support for Barack Obama and disillusionment with certain faiths, and will not stop doing so in the furute.  If that turns some people off so be it, but I do not write hubs just so everyone will like me, I write hubs to express my opinions and to explore an issue.  As for people rating up and down a hub I guess that is all about personal preference because I have done neither.  I comment on hubs I find interesting, but that is about it.  As I said if a hub is written with your words expressing your opinion it is a great hub, and there is a wide range of opinions on what is considered a quality hub anyway.  You cannot please everyone, so you better please yourself is my motto.

4. LegendaryN8 profile image61
    LegendaryN8posted 15 years ago

I think organic lists of just about anything make for a great hub.

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I have never thumbed down a hub that is of a differing opinion from mine or even one that is poorly written.  People do that?  !!

The only time people should be thumbing down a hub is when it goes against policy or is inappropriate.

There is something wrong with the entire philosophy here if this kind of info. is being used on an hub author.  sad

???

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have never thumbed down hubs personally, but the last person was saying thumbing down a hub would impede search egine traffic, when that is not always the case.  There are a couple of controversial hubs here on hubpages that have been flagged, and probably thumbed down quite a few times, but these two hubs are still here as of today and come up first in google searches.  I have also noticed right around the time of publication of the controversial hubs they end up on the hot hubs list, and then taper off a few weeks later.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I use thumbs down for things that are poorly written. In fact, I've flagged hubs as low quaity, if they are especially badly written. I think that is the purpose of those options.

I would never, however, rate a thumbs up/down based on how much I agree with the subject alone.

6. profile image0

Yeah.  I guess that was just my own reaction.

I don't think I've ever thumbed anyone's hub down, actually.  If I don't like what they have to say, I just don't read.  Guess I have thumbed up articles I like....

Well, for any real money or traffic, you have to be strategic about it, I've ascertained, anyway.  Of course, there are many people here who just want to write.

7. Specificity profile image60
    Specificityposted 15 years ago

I don't use the Thumbs Down on Hubpages either, but I frequently use the Up.  If I'm in a bad hub, it's too much energy to search out the Down button.

I'm not advocating avoiding certain topics so people like you or anything like that.  Ms Chievous asked for a review and I gave it.  From my own experience blogging, I know how people react to political and religious speech and was merely trying to be helpful, not trying to stifle anyone's speech or keep them from writing anything.  It's best to be prepared for the responses you may get when you express a firm opinion.

My review of Ms Chievous' hubs was based on content and style and not my political opinion.  Now this thread has become more about my comments than about the person who asked for help.

Specificity

8. profile image0

Nah--Spec.--

My comments were general in nature.

smile

1. Specificity profile image60
      Specificityposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good 'nuf.  :-)

9. Ms Chievous profile image67

Well Thanks for the feed back.. I think!  wink  In any case the thumbs up and thumbs down controversy has had several readers look at my hub.. So thank you for that!  I will also take in consideration all feedback for my next hub.

If anyone else has feedback I am always open to suggestions

10. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 15 years ago

I think the "pros" and "cons" area of the hubpage "best and worst" might appear easier to read if they were a separate paragraph but what do I know.
    You're doing better than me. so, keep it up.

11. packerpack profile image59
    packerpackposted 15 years ago

I haven't read others comments and so am sure if the comments that I am gonna make has already been given by others.

Here are my observations;

1. Yes your topics are interesting but there is one thing that I have observed; lets say consider "Reading the Obamameter, what will he do next?" The topic is interesting but the I feel the title should have been more properly chosen "What will Obama do next as a president?" or anything as such. Definitely there is no term called "Obamameter" hence no one will search with such words. Title of the Hub should be chosen very properly keeping in mind the users who will be searching for your article. It should be chosen keeping in mind that the title should be such that it should come up easily in the search result.

2. To make fans, read others articles and put genuine comments. Because you have to put comments just don't write anything like, "Good article", "Nice hub", "Keep it up" etc etc. Personally I don't give value to such comments and treat them as if they are cheap tricks to attract traffic.

When you become a fan then do remember to attach a fan mail too. Now even a fan mail should be genuine just like your comments.

Post on your comments on the forum and help other (like I am doing). Ya I know I have not been posting on this forum myself and am advising you to do the same. It's just that I have not been finding time to be so active that's why!

3. So far your content is concerned, it is good on the hub "The best and worst of cash survey websites" except that a link placed at the end seem to be in the "Text Capsule". Links in a Text Capsule are treated a promotional links and too much use of such links can be a problem sometimes.

For the hub "Reading the Obamameter, what will he do next?" most of the contents are put in bold. Bold is used to highlight important words in an article which in turn helps in searching by search engines. Overuse of bold can be damaging.

For the hub "Family Friendly Movies in 2009" I feel the content quality is not up to the mark.

4. For almost all Hubs you need to rework on your tags. For this purpose read my following comments http://hubpages.com/forum/post/123594

You can also refer to my Hubs to see how to write tags.

1. Ms Chievous profile image67
      Ms Chievousposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Thank you very much for your observations and I will use them.  The term Obameter was actaully a word I took from the Google trend page, so people were looking it up at one time.  I will look up your tagword info.  Thanks!

12. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years ago

I would add some pictures/vids.  I've found that my most popular hubs are the ones with lots of visuals to keep peoples interest. Maybe it's just me but I'm not as keen on a simple list of stuff. I would try to add more content like a more thorough review of the movies, etc.

13. Benson Yeung profile image67
    Benson Yeungposted 15 years ago

Hi, commenting on other hubbers' work is also a major means to boost your hubscore. Nonetheless, as long as you're enjoying the experience, don't mind so much about the hubscore.

14. Ms Chievous profile image67

Yes I am having fun writing!  But I am unfortunately one of those people that like to do things well  all the time  smile

15. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

There pretty good from what I seen. I looked at the online survey one and I found spelling errors. Use the built in spell check and you should be fine.

~Thranax~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)