Google Instant - your thoughts please

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Wondering if Google instant is going to reduce views to hubs focused on long string keyword searches.

Thoughts people.

1. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I prefer Kenco or Nescafe....better coffee!

Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your valuable contribution smile I hadn't actually noticed the pun, now every time I write Google Instant I will be thinking about coffee.
        Still not as bad as the time I was writing about iPhone 4 skins.

1. waynet profile image67
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol!

On a more serious note....instant coffee is the best!

About Google Instant....anything that Google tries to add to their search structure could be a good thing, because it makes them feel as though it works and it probably might, but Bing and Yahoo are not far behind, so It's best to target if possible all search engines and not just pander to the big G.

2. web3 profile image59
      web3posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi dear Spacey Gracey, what I worry more is about Google's May Day Update which is the most prominent changes made by the Google in SE algorithm. Since INSTANT won't affect the ranking of pages (for long tailed keywords AND it can be turned off, right?) there's still room for working with hubs in terms of adsense or marketing. But the recent change in SE algorithm (known as 'may day update') is something that affects the ranking of the pages.
      Matt Cutts of Google have described that the SE is going to rank pages with high authority than the one-paged- sites or pages that are really focused on that long tailed key phrase. So this is some kind of problem especially with hubs. Even though we have some good SEO in those hubs or pages, Google is going to rank for sites with high authority even though it is not targeting that keyword. Matt Cutts says that this change is permanent since they see some QUALITY WIN when the tested it last year before launching it. That means, we have something more serious to worry about rather than Google INSTANT.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
      And thank you very much for this useful thread and discussion started by Spacey Gracey.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

It still gives you choices-- actually I like it for searches because it sometimes helps to focus the search. I might benefit long strings.
    I find it interesting that their "big benefit" is saving 2 to 5 seconds. I guess instant gratification sells.

3. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I was just going to start a topic on this and wondered what the big seo experts here though of it - I like it from a user point of view but imagine it will be bad for some people as it suggests other phrases.

4. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

this will be interesting ... I think it will be a good thing

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it simply requires smart writing. it's looking for the closest matches to the search. 

like Peter and the experts keep saying, write for the reader, not the search engine.

6. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Went to try it but... it's not enabled on my account yet. sad

7. PurpleOne profile image77
    PurpleOneposted 13 years ago

Yikes.. I don't think I like this at all. sad

8. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

Slow, jerky, and distracting.  And that's just from a users point of view.

As for traffic, it was down a little yesterday, but way too early to tell.

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

1st Impressions......

wait...... kettle is still awaiting to boil...........

OK.... Coffee's all good now....

Apologies for that big_smile

-Akin to predictive texting on a cell.
    -Very quick
    -Saves me having to hit the search button, hence the 2-5 second saving is not too incorrect from Google's claim.
    -Distracting to typing not quite full words before actually wanting to have a result in search, and this process if unliked, can be turned off.
    -Only works in text search, doesn't occur when searching in Images, Videos, News, Maps, Shopping or Mail sections of Google Search.
    -I see a potential dramatic drop in Adwords returns for certain keywords, especially if they now almost never appear in search.
    -Conversely to the above point, Adwords that never appeared will most likely have significant gains with different keywords results.
    -Other search engines will be scrambling to come up with something similar, even if it is for nothing more than a marketing reason (Google is doing it, so why aren't we?)

I shall post something more significant when I have had a chance to process this news and have had a while to see what happens and have a think about it.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

'and this process if unliked, can be turned off'

Brilliant.  I didn't even think of that.  After 15 years of using Google I switched over to Bing today.  But now that I can turn this crap off, I'll probably switch back.

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bing sucks. I suggest switching back, even if you cant switch off the "instant" thingy, its not all that different from before.

As far as how this will affect keyword stuff, I dont know all that much about keywords but as a regular search engine user person, I was looking for stuff about coydogs and dogotes, and even with the instantly instant stuff I ended up at a hubpages article.

10. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

For the last few months I've heard 'unbased rumors' about google doing something to shake things up in September. Maybe this is it.

Mine still hasn't been rolled out. sad

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if it doesn't work with certain browsers -- of if your browser needs an update?

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not released in my country yet - I have to be logged into a google account to get access.

I'm on google chrome so should definitely work. big_smile

I have the message: Google Instant is rolling out over several days to users signed in to a Google Account. Check back soon if you are signed in and do not see it yet.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle,

Its purely an update by Google, for there text based search engine, and is totally independent on which browser you choose to use for it.

Hope this helps.

11. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I find it a little distracting since it assumes to know what i want before i finish writing...

1. xixi12 profile image69
      xixi12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree. I just ignore it and keep typing what I want

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

so far, just playing around with it, I like it. it's much faster and brings up numerous searches that are closest. I'm pretty impressed with its accuracy and speed.

here's an interview with Ben Gomes. http://www.daylife.com/article/02E0cOg5wrdkB

another article worth reading that came out a few weeks ago about changes in google search. http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xht … ull_skip=1

Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the links.

13. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

I get distracted by all the movement on the page.  I could never work with those cell phones that predict what I am trying to type.  I haven't noticed a change in speed personally but that is probably because of the distraction with the movement that I am suffering from.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean about the movement. it's working so fast. I definitely noticed a change in speed. did you read his article? Gomes? it's very good (the second one) in explaining his thought process.

14. Spacey Gracey profile image38

A second thought - when I am doing competitor analysis with SEO Quake after a while I get kicked out of Google because i have sent a large volume of search queries. Then I'm allowed back in a little while later.

With instant turned on, does that lift the restriction on the number of queries you can conduct in a short amount of time? Because a normal user who might have conducted one search with four words in, may actually generate 4+pages of results before they stop typing and see what they want.

1. web3 profile image59
      web3posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I think the same way. I mean, there must be some kind of restriction if the INSTANT  is turned on. Am not at all using it since it annoys me a lot smile. But in the searchers point of view, its something cool but sometimes discourage the surfers to put long search queries. I am not an expert anyway, but just wanted to comment when you thought the same way just as I thought when I use Instant for the first time. 

And hereby, I provide you these links that I visited and read recently. Hope it would be useful for you.

http://www.jonathanleger.com/does-googl … -seo-game/

http://www.amnavigator.com/blog/2010/09 … marketing/

http://tupalo.com/en/blog/pass-through-impressions/

Thanks

2. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 13 years ago

If you do not have Google Instant in your country yet, you should be able to see/use it by going to http://www.google.com/ncr - this forces you to be on the .comm domain, instead of defaulting to your country suffix.

I'm not really liking Google Instant and I'm fearful of my online income - I've been SEO-sloppy for years, I think this Google Instant will catch me out smile

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks this worked. Strange! I don't know if I like it...

3. Spacey Gracey profile image38

It is bothering me quite a bit as I had a nice little strategy of writing about products then plonking the words 'online' or 'review', or 'range' or something like that. Initially I would get searches for the full phrase, and then eventually it would start to rank well for the shorter more traffic-friendly search term. But without that initial love from the people typing in long search queries it may never have ranked well for the shorter term.

But too early to start worrying about it too much.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image61
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

I think it all depends on who you are and why you use Google to search for anything. 

If you are a casual browser just looking for quick response then you will find the predictive part of Google Instant a bonus but in the long term it will limit the choice you are offered in the top ten to those companies with the biggest budgets.

If you're a SEO expert your job to get your smaller clients up the search list just got a lot harder, as if Google cares !!!

If you are a small medium sized company trying to maintain your search list position against your much larger and richer competitors..... It isn't good news !

As usual the only people who will really benefit from this will be Google Share Holders.

5. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

I hate distractions while making search, so turned off the option. Google normally cares about searcher but not the webmasters.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image61
        Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like you I have the distraction of being second guessed as to what I want to see, and I already said the only thing google cares about is Google !

6. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Google Instant isn't as new as you think. I've been using the Google toolbar for my searches for a very long time, and this type of predictive search functionality was already built into that--actually, this exact functionality is what the toolbar search uses.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

The only thing is that when you type F facebook will appear of course, those sites which are popular will become more popular, and one word keyword for us publishers will be the in thing?

Google knows us like when you type DMV, it will immediately offer DMV in your area, I like to be known by google, smiles,

8. vikassingal2002 profile image40
      vikassingal2002posted 13 years ago

good ...!!

9. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years ago

There is something strange going on. I've got a hub I wrote a few months ago called 'Normal Pregnancy and Childbirth'. It did absolutely nothing despite being loaded with photos , videos and well over 3,000 words.
      The I got Market Samurai and discovered that 'pregnancy and childbirth' was an impossible term to rank for, being full of .edu and very high PR sites at the top, so I didn't even try to promote it, just left it.
      Then a a couple of weeks ago it started getting google traffic - not a lot at first but it was building. It got to about 30/40 a day (good for me) when I went to google.com to see how it was ranking.
      It was nowhere for 'pregnancy and childbirth' as I expected, but it was #4 for 'normal pregnancy and childbirth', the ones above me using the same terms.
      Then yesterday the traffic fell right off. I went to google and discovered the term 'normal pregnancy and childbirth' no longer listed.

I've just used the link to Google Instant that Earner posted above, and the search term I wanted is back. What's that all about?

10. Shil1978 profile image88
      Shil1978posted 13 years ago

I've used Google Suggest before, so I guess Google Instant is an enhanced version of it. I do like it - the suggestions do help often!!

I am not sure how this will affect search behavior of users though - guess will have to just wait and see!!

11. Singular Investor profile image70
      Singular Investorposted 13 years ago

Here is a very specific example that shows how the change will affect click through behavior

Imagine your average browser wants to find out how to make money on the Internet. He/she will start typing 'make money on the internet' but as soon as he types 'make money', Google displays 'make money online' right in front of his eyeballs so he thinks 'that's good enough' and clicks on the first site in the list.

This means if your site is optimized for 'make money on the Internet' you had better re-optimize it pretty quick to 'make money online' to stand any sort of change of being found. I suggest there will be less variety in keywords as people all start optimizing for what shows up first in Google's instant search list.

12. VerticalMeasures profile image58
      VerticalMeasuresposted 13 years ago

It depends on what your hubs are ranked for - if your hub is ranked for a query that comes up in the Google suggest, then it might do well even in Instant.

13. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I hope they roll back the autocomplete aspect of this change, it very annoying sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)