Is The Forum REALLY quiet or is time going REALLY slow?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Where is everybody? Monday's are supposed to be busy right?

1. Mikeydoes profile image42
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Time is getting slow for me I have to wait until 8:30 for the Bears game and its only 5!

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

It's slow.  I've noticed it more and more, though.  I think too many of the same old people having the same old conversations, and lots of HP newcomers are just in it for the clicks more than a community now that the methodology has been figured out by folks like you and Sunforged and Relache etc.  Besides, once something gets this big, "community" becomes something of a stretch.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not so sure that either me, Relache, or Sunforged, can really tell newbies anything about Hubpages which isn't readily available from the learning centre.

I can only really spreak for myself, but I published my first hubpage 15 months ago... arriving in the midst of an ongoing 30 in 30 challenge, and one of the first things I learnt was how to pick keywords - a video produced from a hubpages director. At that time Hubpages were paying for ads inviting people to come and earn money.

I'm not so sure that I really want to take any responsibility for the decline in a community, especially seeing as I was banned from the forum for 4 months. If anything I am a product of the same chain of thought, and a very particular direction of the site at the time. I learnt everything that I know from people already at the site.

If I am guilty of anything at all it is answering questions about earning through Hubpages and disclosing my earnings statistics. Relache has been doing what she is doing for the past 4 years, and Sunforged popped onto the scene around the same time as me. Knowles was already being open about four figure earnings before I had even arrived.

I guess that its not really winter yet, so people are still able to enjoy their evenings in the garden etc in most of the Northern Hemisphere, I suspect that the forum will pick up when the real bad weather comes.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't even remotely making a blame thing at all.  What I was trying to say, and clearly failed horrifically in do so, was that folks like you and Relache and Mark Knowles etc., people who figured out how it works and wrote about it, have put out enough information on how to make money that it is easy for anyone to find that information.

My intent was not to say that you have somehow contributed to the decline of the forums.  But that, with there being so little need to come to the forums to ask questions and figure stuff out now, given how many great articles are out there answering literally every question in every possible phrasing of it, there are less people coming in needing assistance.

You are an awesome and helpful member of this community and if people do happen to show up, they get lots of good stuff from you.

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Shades, I must have gotten the wrong end of the stick. I guess that the whole Commercial v Creative thing has been a touchy subject in the past (Pgrundy et al). Apologies for jumping right in there with an overly defensive response. Your point, now that you have clarified, is perfectly valid and I agree totally.

ps. Have you noticed that the forums have suddenly become REALLY busy again? lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree.  When I joined, many members of the community were "in it for the clicks" and yet we all still joined in the forums.

I blame the forum layout.  New people join, come to the forums, see page after page of religious and political arguments on the front page - and leave.  I've said many times that I think the "latest activity" page of the forums should be split into two sections - the  "HubPages-related" section and the "By Category" section should be listed separately.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

I looked through the posts earlier and after extracting the religious ones, there was not much on

1. LaMamaLoli profile image60
      LaMamaLoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

same here. Quite disappointed!

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey, i posted a video of me singing in one, and a new one to post your fav randowm video!

cool

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure you should feel that some of the blame is at your feet ryan. There's room for all kinds of writing on HubPages. Whilst I agree with Shades viewpoint - more people are jumping on the commercial bandwagon and, being honest, this site probably generates its views due to the commercial content far more than the none commercial - I still feel there's value in those that write poems, offer advice, share creative work and so forth.

Some of my hubs are pure satire, silliness, mind let loose stuff, and they get found, despite my inital woeful ignorance as to what SEO meant to me back then. Hell I still prefer to write for the joy of it. Tried two nights back. The most appropriate title for my mischief was already taken. Sunk my plan.

I also write history hubs, and ones about Portugal - some of which rank well and enjoy regular visitors. None of which earn me a red cent. Though whether they earn for HubPages - I couldn't say smile

Right this minute, for my part, the money I earn on HP means I can afford (just) to run a small house. I don't actually have a 'proper' job. I write to live. Keeps me in coffee and dog food. I feel no shame in what I do. I work a lot of hours sometimes, for what feels like little return. But it will be, one day.

Oh my ... I waffled!

5. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Well I have just got up !!  but yesterday while you were asleep the place was very quiet.  The latest missionaries are nowhere near as funny, entertaining or intelligent as teh previous lot - so those arguments are playground level.  Nobody is asking any questions about hubs that I can't answer and I know just a bit less than nothing. so a  boring day really.

6. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

That's a good idea, Marisa.

Have y'all read Wordscribe's recent hub: The Secret Lives of Hubpages Staff?  It's funny and well written, as all her hubs are.  I started a thread about it the other day, but I titled it badly and no one seemed to look at it...

If interested, here's a link: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Secret-Live … ages-Staff

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)