Vegetable Garden

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. becca7176 profile image61
    becca7176posted 13 years ago

I live in South Florida and I am having the hardest time getting my vegetable garden to grow.  We've already had to completely had to redo it twice, first due to weeds, second due to an unseasonably cold winter.  Now we've got everything in a large box to keep the weeds out and summer's here.  But the things that should be sprouting like tomatoes and peppers, just aren't (our neighbors are).  We water them regularly and fertilize too.  Any ideas on what we could be doing wrong?  Too much sunlight?

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Doesn't South Florida have many fresh fruit and vege outlets? hmm

Sometimes you have to be honest with yourself. You may not be a natural gardener ..... no matter what you do or try. yikes

The way to tell whether you are or not you will make a good gardener comes down to the color of your hands!
    If your Thumbs are Green... You are in luck and potentially a gardener. smile
    If not green.... check those shops out. hmm

1. becca7176 profile image61
      becca7176posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I fully admit my thumbs are as far from green as they get.  I've been banking on the fact that my husband actually works with plants for a living (sprinklers) that he could help me grow a vegetable garden.  I've always wanted my own (perhaps foolishly).  If we can't get it to work this time, maybe we'll have to think about throwing in the towel.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You need to build your soil and make sure it's PH is conducive to the crops you wish to grow. By composting you will also help worms grow which ill help aerate your soil.
        Be patient and use your time here to read some of the good gardening hubs here.
        Check SemPro's site... she is a fervent gardener and can help you with the plant side of the equation.
        Gardening really is easy smile

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

What's your soil like?
    Are you trying to grow veggies in sand?
    I'd advise that you start a compost pile, and after it's had some time to cook, mix that good soil in where you want your garden. Then try again.

There are other ways to go about it. There are even some hubs on the subject:
    http://hubpages.com/topics/home-and-fam … ening/3174

1. flogreen profile image59
      flogreenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with Jeff, it definitely sounds like a soil issue. 

I wrote a hub that might help you out with several ways to start a composting program. 

Depending on how large your garden is, one of the three techniques I talk about in my hub will help.  You can find it through my profile if you are interested.

Cheers and best of luck smile

4. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Even though I live in upper middle Tennessee where you can grow rocks if you plant them right I think your problem is gonna turn out to be the ph of the soil.  You can work and spend yourself to death but if the ph ain't right it ain't gonna grow.  You should have a county agent that can test out your soil for ya.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

If this is your first time growing veggies, I'd suggest preparing the whole area (digging it all over, taking out as many stones as possible) and plant nothing more than potatoes.
    They like to be planted in drills with the earth raised above them, then you can water the hollows knowing that they will get the water.
    Potatoes are great for clearing the ground, and neutralising and fertilising the soil for future crops of other veggies.
    However, if you want to try veggies this year - I'd suggest bringing on seeds of tomatoes and peppers and the like in compost-filled seed trays, only transferring them to the garden when the plants have grown a bit and are strong and healthy.
    Next year, alternate your crop so the tomatoes/peppers grow where the potatoes are this year.
    Start a compost heap/wormery and add your kitchen waste etc, grass clippings, old newspapers (torn up), and after a year or so work this into your garden soil to improve it.
    Good luck!

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You sound like you've been there and done that!

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Got it in one!! lol

2. flogreen profile image59
      flogreenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Potatoes are actually a great suggestion!  They grow in about anything.  Nice one IzzyM smile

6. becca7176 profile image61
    becca7176posted 13 years ago

Wow...  I didn't expect to get so much great advice, and so quickly!  I feel like I've definitely got an idea of where to start.  And I will definitely be checking out your recommended hubs.  Thanks everybody!

7. jrich1936 profile image61
    jrich1936posted 13 years ago

Grow Oranges you live in Florida! =]

8. Louis Taylor profile image61
    Louis Taylorposted 13 years ago

Just dont ever give up. First few years are a learning process no matter what you start in life. I never grown tomatoes from seeds only in the last 3 years and now have 120 plants this year. Over there peppers and tomatoes should thrive, dont give up you will get there and will have great fruits for sure in that warm climate!

9. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

If all else fails construct several raised beds say three or four.

Then you can add the right type of soil/compost mix to each and grow your vegetables in them. You can then have a better growing medium in them than you have in the rest of the garden/yard.

You can still do crop rotation (i.e. not growing same type of plants in same area/raised bed each year).

You could construct these boxes with an embedded watering system if you wanted to, then the water would not evaporate from the soils surface.

BTW If you decide to make raised beds to grow vegetables in - the width should be no more than the distance you can reach across to sow,weed and care for the crops.I hope this is helpful to you.

10. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

We are getting lots of nice squash, zucchini and are starting to get delicious yellow tomatoes  - yum!

My biggest problem is seeing the zucchini before it gets too big.  It's hard to spot hiding in all that green.  They taste best when smaller.

11. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I agree with all the above but I use a mixture of moistened potting soil and organic compost - I find that the compost helps keep the soil from drying out and turning to 'clay'.  We get quite a bit of sun and my plants all seem to thrive on that so don't think it is too much sun.

Also being careful of when you water - water either early morning or when the sun is off the plants in the afternoon/evening is the best policy to keep them from burning up.  Of course if temps are TOO terrible, you may have to break that rule and water low to the ground at midday.  Just don't leave the water on the leaves, etc. as it will fry your plants.

Maybe start off simple - grow some herbs or a few things but don't try too many at once.  Also, I've had greater success growing in containers such as garbage cans for potatoes, ice chests for carrots, radishes, etc. 

Soil prep is key though - and keeping the plants moist and from being overcome by packed down soil, too little water, too much water.  Also getting a book at the local library should help you a bunch - or even researching how to grow plants in your specific region, talking to someone at the nursery, Fred Meyer nursery, etc.  Sometimes you learn stuff you had not considered!

Good luck - nothing like growing your own veggies!

12. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 13 years ago

Ask your neighbours!

If they are successful and you are not, there is probably a reason.

When I started out I made two major mistakes. The first was that I put my greenhouse raised seedlings straight into the ground without "hardening off" - they died of shock.
    The other mistake was not putting down slug killer immediately I planted. Now everything grows.

13. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

If you are planting seeds and they just do not come up there are only two likely reasons

1. Not enough water, or too much water. 

2. Someone has used some kind of path weedkiller on the ground in the last four or five years and it is still there in enough quantity to kill the seeds as they sprout.

14. profile image0
    manumposted 13 years ago

It's no. 2 and its grass killer. terrible stuff. we got rid of it, and wait for blooms.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)