How Do You Differentiate Between Religion & Superstition?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (114 posts)
  1. Rishy Rich profile image71
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

Belief in miracles or extraordinary events, supernatural interventions, apparitions, charms, omens or incantations plays a major part almost in every religion. These are so predominant that a religion without miracle is hard to imagine. However, when we think of these extraordinary events or supernatural interventions apart from religion, they seem simply superstitious belief & nothing else.

Moreover, members of one religion often think other religions as superstitious. The demi-gods of Hinduism is superstitious to Muslims, The jinns of Islam are superstitious to Buddhists & the Son of God from Christians are unacceptable to Islam. What happens to be an important tenet of one religion is just a mere superstition to the other!

So whats the differentiating point between religion & superstition? Is there any fundamental difference between the two or is it just the number of the followers that decides which one is superstition & which one is religion?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

one is based on brainwashing (religion), the other on fear of unknown (superstition), both look and act the same, the results are the same (non- questioning conformance), and thus no seperation between them.

you could argue it is a lack of education that makes it possible, or a calculated  structured education that causes it to become fact, but either way history has proven it dangerous to human survival. IMO

Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So u r concluding these two are fundamentally no different & technically the same thing, ryt?

2. xobliam profile image60
      xobliamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anyone can be superstitious. To be religious one must have a set of codes or edicts that drives the belief system.

While almost all religions seem to want their followers to believe that they are the true church set up to deliver the true message, who in their right mind could play to that pipers tune ?

Billions do everyday......giving reason for their knowledge.

Superstitious events however are not based on reason or knowledge but simply on what some might term random chance or coincidence.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A litmus test of the superstition.

Does science approve it? Science being the Work of the Creator-God Allah YHWH.

Do the Revealed Religion has any Word of Revelation for it?

If it is not there; it is superstition out and out.

1. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take the litmus test. prove it.  wink

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

There is no difference. Both Religion and Superstition support tradition based on fear of the unknown.

I understand your view but there has to be some difference I guess. I believe the theists might have some different views on religion & superstition.

3. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

when one combines 1 million superstitions ,religion is born...smile

So you are suggesting it is just the number of followers which makes the difference? ryt?

1. pisean282311 profile image63
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well there is something called interim reality...when a group starts believing in something as true..it stays till some concrete things comes nullifying it....superstition is common and natural for most humans..when a group believes and declares something to be true..most adhere to it and dont challenge it...

1. profile image51

And Atheists Skeptics are no less superstitious

agreed..but atleast they are not part of biggest myth in the world..but atheist may well be superstitious because in end religion or no religion..humans are humans..beneath all superficial tags like atheist , muslims , hindus, chirsitans..lies human..

2. Merlin Fraser profile image61
            Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course Atheists and sceptics can be and in many cases are superstitious why would they not be so, it is after all a human thing born of fear and instinct we all have it to some degree.

Let's face it the only difference between an Atheist and a Believer is the Atheist just believes in one less God than the believer....

Don’t worry they’ll  work it out sooner or later.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Works for me!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

“How Do You Differentiate Between Religion & Superstition?”

Now that is a very good question!

Not sure very good or not but its a question that most theists would love to avoid!

5. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

Religion basically tries to answer very basic philosophical questions about life and existence, through superstitions. Ordinary superstitions alone don't have that spiritual connotation.

u mean superstition is an element of religion but can religion be free from superstition?

6. mellanyb16 profile image61
    mellanyb16posted 13 years ago

I also find it hard to differentiate the two. But I can see what's common between them. They are both being believed in by people.

7. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

imaginations, ideas; man if rational benefits from them

Superstition is not rational.

8. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

Superstition is blind faith
    religion is mans effort to appease God
    spirituality is what jesus offers

to say that throwing salt over your shoulder brings good luck is unfounded and therefore an inference of activity. Without foundation a belief is superstitious.

religion says that mans efforts can make God happy. That only through the efforts of a person abiding by the rules of religion will God accept them. Religion is the tearing of the veil from the bottom to the top when in fact the veil was torn from the top to the bottom.

In jesus christ, God comes to meet people, this is the veil being torn from the top to the bottom. In the spiritual walk that jesus offers, he offers a cessation from human efforts and intends for the spirit of God the father to work on the submissive heart and being of the human who has repented of their ways and wants to know God. In this, those who follow jesus are unique for no other religion or superstition or even certain sects which say they are part of christiandom can offer.

ya but idea that god needs to be made happy itself doesnot make sense..it did when such things were written...but in today's time it is better to make fellow human beings happy than worrying about god being happy...concept of god needs updation...as human history shows definition of god has evolved..and i wont be surprised if it keeps evolving...

1. hanging out profile image60
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Galatians 5:22   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, JOY, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith

God doesn't need to be made happy and whoa! no way does the word of God need to be updated. Why would God leave a book if it is going to be outdated by the time Jesus returns? Sorry

Do we update other books... war and peace, homers illiad? Why would just gods book need to be updated. I read it daily and honestly it is more than fine just the way it is and i use a king james bible.
        sorry but i do strongly disagree.
        The definition of god has not evolved, it has expanded into untruthfulness, wickedness and something less that what God originally is. These are vain imaginations and ruthless concoctions of mans wishful thinkings. God is the same yesterday today and forever. Again this is why we have a book because is grounds us in Gods truth as the world 'evolves' into more ungodliness.

ask muslims....they would say that word of god got corrupted and so came quran...ask christians , they would say bible is THE WORD..ask jews they would say torah is word...ask hindus ...for them veda is word...

coming to definition of god has not evolved...i think if you leave your religious views and view evolution of humans since last 10k years..you would safely conclude that god definition has evolved...yes if we see bible as starting point..well god definition might seem to be static...but humans are much older than bible..infact latest book might be grandth sahib and not even quran...it has been veda , then torah , then bible , then quran , then grandh sahib....

as humans became civlized they came up with their versions of god..and if definition of god would have been static ..we would have singular book and singular god...but it is not so...do we have different definitions of sun or moon or earth or gravitational force?..no..why because they are absolute reality...they cannot be debated...concept of god can be...there can never be one single definition of god...yes in some points idea merge...but in many different point...it is different...when chrisitain say god...jesus would probably come to mind...but for muslims god cannot have any physical form...now one cannot say that those 24% are wrong...in same way 33% are chrisitans and so on...

i don't agree. You cannot compare false religions and the word of God and say Gods word needs to be updated. It doesn't. Gods word even says nothing changes. To update Gods word is to go against scripture, therefore there is no debate about this topic.

1. spookyfox profile image60
              spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So everything the bible says about killing your children, homosexuals, people of other religions, and a big etc. still applies today smile Oh, and I'm forgetting slavery. Good to know at least you don't use the "but that was back then" excuse.

You need to know about the importance of dispensation. There is nothing mentioned in the NT about killing children or killing anything, except ones self nature.
                The New Testament or New Covenant is just that, a New treaty or pact. With the NT God changed the dispensation, God did not change, but the way things are handled or governed, changed. Jesus is the fulfillment of the OT prophesies concerning the coming messiah who would change all things. Even jesus being hung on the cross is prophesied. Under this new dispensation the old dispensation which was according to the flesh, earthy or natural was concluded, over, finished. Therefore what was ordained to happen back then (sorry) does not apply under the NT. We have not different principles, but, life is being handled differently. Whereas God judged immediately and quickly, He now stands back and makes mental notes instead and Jesus by destroying the power of death on the cross and by jesus' sinless life and resurrection, has shown that this new way (NT) is so much better than the old way, with better success.
                on the lighter side, yes you can have slaves, they are called maids and butlers and you can have as many as you can afford smile

There is nothing mentioned in the NT about killing children or killing anything, except ones self nature.

So let me guess, this is taken out of context:
                  In the New Testament:

Jesus killing his enemies:

"So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways.   I will strike her children dead.  Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.  (From the NIV Bible, Revelation 2:22-23)"

As far as the OT and NT thing, it is just another proof of how you choose to ignore and sweep under the rug the things you can't deffend anymore. It's like having a big pile of bloody corpses and covering it with some nice looking blanket. And again, this shows how it is not absolute. The word of god is meant to be a compass for moral actions. If you had a compass that changes the North every time it wants to, there wouldn't be much use to it, would it? If you're going to change what's good and bad through time... do I need to say it? It's because morals are relative to the times.

on the lighter side, yes you can have slaves, they are called maids and butlers and you can have as many as you can afford
                  Do you know what slaves are? They don't get paid and they don't have the freedom to quit whenever they want.

you have a context problem.
                    lets deal with slaves first... read carefully.... they are called 'maids' and 'butlers'... do you know what a maid and a butler is? I guess not. Maids and butlers are HIRED people, HIRED being the difference between 'slavery' and 'working for someone for monetary gain'. They can quit whenever they want. You see the slaves of old are the equivalent of today's 'HIRED servants'.
                    With that having to be explained i can see why you are picked that i didn't bother to elaborate on something i thought was already a forgone conclusion.
                    In revelation.. God the father is killing. Jesus is the focus point of the NT and he only mentioned of the end time judgment and NOT of 'eye for eye, etc. or to kill.. just loving your enemies and to love God, etc. The core of my explanation was that jesus is about love, Gods love and not killing. There is a definite difference in the dispensation and it is clearly talked about but also yes, God the father will judge the sin of the world at the worlds end and yep that will not be pretty.
                    hope this helps

2. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, again you would be wrong, as usual. Your god's will or words, were created by man. All religions are false, simply because there is no god. You keep running yourself in circles and yet don't have the first clue you are running in a circle.

Religion brought realism to YOUR imagined god.

Without religion, nowadays, there would be no belief in a god.
              Failed argument since there is no god.
              No debate on the topic. You're too funny. All the words you use is the direct cause for more debate. The fact that you continue to spread your belief in a god, when reality says there isn't one, is the specific cause of the debate.

Human consciousness + Conscience = Free Will and Choice.

Human consciousness gives free will.

Conscience gives choice.

Sorry, no god required.

1. profile image51

Human consciousness + Conscience = Free Will and Choice.
                Human consciousness gives free will. Conscience gives choice.

Humans have been endowed with consciousness , Conscience , Free Will and Choice by the Creator-God Allah YHWH. He is very much there but one does not understand.

which one are you talking about..because there are many ones..like atheist, hindus,jews,chirstians as far as your faith is concerned and muslims,atheist,hindus,jews as far as christians are concerned and so on...if god is there..why there are different versions?..like windows-97, 2000,xp ?...

Conjecture on your part. And mostly lies perpetuated by those who truly don't understand. But, nice try.

2. hanging out profile image60

Cagsil
                so where did free will come from?
                its nice to break things down to a fundamental level but always you are left wondering where the fundamental level came from.
                god created free will.

where did human consciousness come from? Don't say it evolved, because i do not believe evolution has "keen insights" to "develop itself toward". for instance how did evolution 'know' that i would need such a sophisticated eye above the optical spot of a flatworm. And don't forget that the human eye, every part must also be 'keenly evolved' to function with the brain. So now we have evolution "knowing" that the brain must be able to accomodate the sophisticated eye and adjusting for the 3 million retinas.

where did human consciousness come from? Don't say it evolved, because i do not believe evolution has "keen insights" to "develop itself toward".
                  Well you certainly don't either! Do you even read what you write? You just told someone to not say something because you don't believe in it. You're trying to control other people's responses in a thread that's not even your own. That does fit the christian spirit very well smile

I think you can only tell me what i am doing if i do it often. If you think this one, 1, singular event; a harmless sentence is not in the christian spirit you need to read brotheryochanan's hub on judging christians, i think he captured the essence of a christian walk quite well.
                    Most times i don't want to hear from cagsil anyway, no disrespect to him but he is abrupt to the point of bashing people with his unbiblical beliefs, beliefs which i do not care for at any time, but i doubt he has an answer that is not about evolution, therefore, did i save him time and effort.
                    Can you move your nose outta the way so the two people who were meant to talk or not talk can continue our discussion?
                    thanks
                    Dunno why you wanted to yell at me anyway.. is there something else you want to say?

It came from the expansion of our mind. Or did you not learn that in school? hmm
                  Unfortunately, you're living in the past. You fail to realize the times in which the people in those times lived. That is "why?" you cannot understand what I am saying. Your own "god" complex that fills in gaps(unknown) with god.
                  That's only because you refuse to challenge your faith. It's called "Chosen Ignorance", and many religious folk suffer from it.

However, human consciousness also came from an expansion of the mind. As will the next level of consciousness, will come from an expansion.
                  This statement is completely absurd and show you lack any understanding of evolution.

yep it is absurd.
                    I said evolution has no "keen insights" and you just pop back to tell me it does have "intelligent foresight".
                    Now you have evolution adding brain parts. I guess you did not understand what i wrote either.
                    LOL
                    The thing about the god complex is that it leaves no gaps... no gaps at all.
                    I said not to talk evolution to me and you did but not before criticizing me. Nice evolutionary process you have gone through, proving my point, evolution has no intelligent designs.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wisdom is the principle thing...discernment.  Wisdom comes from knowledge, experience.  The decisions you make decide the seasons of your life.  If you decide that a black cat walking across your path is bad luck, I'm sure you will find/attract that bad luck, or at best you will find something that happens to you and say "See, it's bad luck."

Repetition creates persuasion but it does not necessarily create truth.  And truth is not necessarily a changer.

People are destroyed by a lack of knowledge and things do evolve, have always evolved.  But it's all tied to our perception.  Words have only the meaning given them and each religion gives a different word to the same thing, commonly known as God.

"Like tides on a crescent sea beach when the moon is new and thin,
        Into our hearts high yearnings come welling and surging in.
        Come from the mystic ocean whose rim no foot has trod.
        Some of us call it longing and others call it God." 
                       - Herbert Carruth (Each in His Own Tongue)

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religion IS blind faith.

Superstition is man's effort to appease God.

The belief in Jesus is a superstition.

To say that Jesus was raised from the dead is unfounded, thus fits the same criteria.

Agreed

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

And how come the bible talks about miracles (magic?) but no-one has seen an amputated limp being prayed back etc?

just because you havent seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are marvelous things going on in africa, mexico, south america that we up here in north america do not know..
          How can you say NO ONE.. . you don't know for sure... c'mon bailey you can do better than to submit wild inferences.

1. profile image0

give some verified evidence to the contrary - rather than heresay

try this link
              http://www.bibleprobe.com/miracles.htm
              but you can google and youtube cant you?

although you realise if you can say a general no, anybody can say a general yes and the one counts out the other one, making your point moot. No you say because to you, your belief that miracles contradict natural laws is more believable. Check my hub on natural laws and miracles. You might be surprised.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't surprising at all. It was little more than a nonsensical word salad, completely void of anything resembling knowledge or understanding of the natural laws, unending in its capacity to defy logic. smile

defying logic and that will always be your stumblingblock

have a nice day
                  i shouldnt have said anything to you but i decided just to reiterate for your edification not to be critical

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                    Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, if you can't say anything intelligent, why say anything at all? smile

2. skyfire profile image80
                skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christian Preaching sites are peer-reviewed and verified resource ? LOL.

3. profile image0

I looked at the raising from the dead story.  Interesting that they gave him another shock with the paddles and the man was revived.

Something about this kind of journalism:
                http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=300

There are people that have been declared dead & sent to the morgue when they were still alive (just, but pulse undetectable etc).  One morgue attendent actually finished someone off when they cut to drain the blood and it spurted  - they were so horrified that they couldn't continue in that occupation

Baileybear - your own body should be proof enough of the regenertive powers of human capability and potential.  When you get a cut, it heals.  When you're sick or injured, your immune system cleans it up.  The potential is virtually unlimited, we just haven't been able to harness it yet, to figure out how to control it to the point where we can accomplish this at will, though there is much documentation about people who have cleared tumors, etc. through the power of thought.

This is neither superstition nor religion, but the power of one of the highest frequencies recorded by man.  The power of a positive thought.  I know you are a huge skeptic and this in itself is a form of superstition.

1. profile image0

all of our bodies do this, whether you believe in higher powers or not

Baileybear - research Michael Bernard Beckwith regarding restored eyesight, kidney regeneration, etc.  Believe it or not.

TO GETTRITE...
        superstition is blind faith..
        even the dictionary says you are WRONG
        1.a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
        2.a system or collection of such beliefs.
        3.a custom or act based on such a belief.
        4.irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
        5.ANY BLINDLY ACCEPTED BELIEF OR NOTION

perhaps you should go back and reread my post over again.
        Tried to cheap shot me eh lol
        have a nice day buddy

1. profile image0

that description fits well

1. profile image0

ie that definition fits religion well

Remember that when standing in a room where a christian answer is asked for, it is best to put forth the christian answer and it is really best to either be a christian already or to be open to christianity, because if you come to argue and disbelieve on purpose then you waste everybodies time.

1. profile image0

this is an open forum, and you're saying the christians are the only ones that are allowed to answer?  Believe it or not, your attitude along with some other "christians" on here have put me off christianity for life

Why do i always have to go thru this again and again.
                  When people are in over their head they should just leave.
                  Why do i not go into the quantum physics forum because i have no idea what they are talking about.
                  The trouble is; most people come into the room where the christians are talking because they think they know more than the christians do. Most who come to answer a christian question have smart alec short insulting one liners, no back up. Just some forcefully spoon fed inaccurate misconception they think is truth, oh God doesnt exist type of thing. Many times people come in here with the attitude, "ill show these christians they are full of it", few come in to learn and be taught and with an open mind accept biblical truths as put forth by actual christians. Not many uphold the bible as absolute truth.
                  You have a stubborn attitude and are bitter towards God. Its nothing i have said to turn you off, you were decided to be that way from day one. You were actually off christianity for life before you came in here. You have asked no questions and continually sided with the atheists, neither have i seen a humble side of you. You have put forth false assumptions, inaccurate beliefs and wrong interpretations with the rest and when the correct answer comes up you shrug and turn away to repeat the same thing later.
                  sorry for the inconvenience.
                  have many nice days.

1. profile image0

the atheists make much more sense - even the sarcastic ones that rub you (and aqua and brenda and a few others) up the wrong way made sense. 
                    I was bitter with God at one time.  I am not bitter or angry at God now - I let that go years ago.  If you thought your constant preaching is going to convert people like me that  came in agnostic - wrong.  You can't see how off-putting your condescending attitude is. 
                    I am a thinker and have asked questions I wanted answered. I have been less and less convinced that a god actually exists.
                    You think I am over my head?  I actually was indoctrinated with christianity for a huge chunk of my life.  I have read the bible several times. 
                    I have just put together a hub of what I think of the religions forums.  The hate from "christians" who think everyone is attacking them is incredible.

2. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand.  Are you supporting my side or yours?

"even the dictionary says you are wrong"
            "tried to cheap shot me"

what don't you understand?

3. proton66 profile image62
        proton66posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Makes no sense to say that the belief in Jesus is superstitious. If there was no Jesus who said he was sent from God, then we might as well join the rest who do not believe in Him and the miracles he performed, etc., etc.

Then, we'd all have our own philosophies of life i.e. our own definition of what is moral or immoral, perhaps no tolerance for each other, and sooner or later believe in something we have no clue about i.e. super natural power which may either be for or against the well-being of mankind.

The ancient Greeks and the Romans were great examples of this concept. Even though they were known for aqua-duct engineering or huge coliseums, they offered sacrifices to their pagan gods to gain favor. E.g. To remove dry spells required a (virgin) sacrifice. That is nonsense based on ignorance. And nowhere is it more evident in their killing of Christians. (Bible is not required for proof).

that's the way the world is going.
          good points well written
          atta go :thumbs up:

2. spookyfox profile image60

And to be willing yo sacrifize your son because "god told you to" is not nonsense based no ignorance... right.

right.
            In the OT the voice of God was audibly heard just like you hear someone talking to you today. The OT is the dispensation according to the flesh. Signs and wonders people could see, the voice of God people could hear.
            Abraham knew the promise of God, that Abraham will be established in isaac his only son. Abraham knew God has a way out as Abraham knew the unlying and truthful character of God would have a way out. It was not really a big test, to us it seems huge and reprehensible, but recall moses and the burning bush what spoke to him.. pretty convincing stuff.
            Here again is proof, God is writing His book. Abraham in this scenario coincides with Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.

right.
              In the OT the voice of God was audibly heard just like you hear someone talking to you today. The OT is the dispensation according to the flesh. Signs and wonders people could see, the voice of God people could hear.

I do not doubt that hundreds of people have heard the voice of god or Jesus. People have been talked to by their gods for ages, and seen them. They have also been talked to by plants and animals. I've heard the voice of dead people as well, and then I woke up. I believe this things are part of human nature (emphasis on human) and that they're different manifestations of common, unexplored by us in a rationalist society, areas of our psyches. I wouldn't disregard them as wrong or false anymore than I'd disregard a movie or book as such. They might not be true in a literal way but they carry a message that could be. You on the other hand, disregard everything else anyone has heard or seen as silly, while you hold the thing the particular guy you're fond of heard as the absolute truth spoken by the most powerful being in the Universe. And not only that, you believe that you must change everyone's view into your own's. How tolerant of you.

Not quite sure of you point or how this responds to my post. I just think you want to rant at me. You could have emailed me, but you didnt so here goes:
                I said what i said. It is true. sorry you don't think so but it is true. I did not imagine or dream it, biblical reference is what i use. I will disregard everything that is not bible based or of incorrect interpretation. Doubt my interpretation? How can you when you do not know what scripture says. This is your dilemma. I am not a counsellor to the sick. I just answer questions and often i get a lot of crap back, so be it. Now you call me intolerant. More crap i am receiving. I told you nicely you give me crap.
                have a nice day

3. spookyfox profile image60

"Then, we'd all have our own philosophies of life"
          And you're actually saying this as something bad? Do you really think coming up with your own values from expierence, learning and from other people, is worst that having them handed down to you by some overpowerful authority figure that might not even be real? That philosophy allows abusive dictatorships and promotes unequality, inferiority and subordination.

Coming up with your own values is GOOD, accepting and obbeying an authority without questioning it and following it blindly is BAD.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

I thought we did all have our own philosophies of life.

there are many philosophies, but only one bible. He thinks he can do better than God. I would like to see his list of morals
              LOL

1. profile image0

ah, but there isn't one bible.  Your leatherbound didn't always exist as one book.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801121843 … bible.html

3. Rishy Rich profile image71

@ hanging out

whats the difference between faith & blind faith?

1. profile image0

I would see faith as believing something that has concrete evidence eg faith that your plane doesn't crash, because the pilot is trained and many planes have flown safety previously.  Blind faith is believing something that no-one can prove exists

If that is the case then having faith in religion is the same as having blind faith in superstition.

one is blind the other is between

religion is not the walk in the spirit of God that jesus offers.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image61
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

"How Do You Differentiate Between Religion & Superstition?"

The simple answer is you can't;  all Religions were born out of the Superstious beliefs and Pagan rituals of early man.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what I said smile

1. Merlin Fraser profile image61
          Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great Minds think alike ! 

Perhaps I should have said SNAP instead or Ditto !

However, Do you think it will make any difference ?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
            Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol.
            Maybe no difference,or perhaps influence an otherwise indecisive mind.yes it is the latter  smile everything is relative ,although not always important (IMHO)

not all religions... there is what christ taught that the "early church" followed. The pagan beliefs were adopted by the church in rome which became the roman catholic church. They grabbed all the documents they could and started to appease all the practices, thus melding them into one.
        The early church, or upper room church, which recieved the holy spirit of God according to scripture is the authentic way. There are two churches going on here, one real and one false.
        So to say what you said about "all Religions were born out of the Superstious beliefs and Pagan rituals of early man" is an untrue generalization of which i am happy to correct.

5. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years ago

@hanging out

who defines what is false religion..It is your belief that what you follow in only true religion and ofcourse you have right to believe and same applies to each and every human being..dont judge for others..what you believe is false is true for some one and what you believe as true is false for someone..

coming to evolution of god..i am not writing this for you to agree...I am merely putting my point of view and I accept your right to disagree and hope you accept mine right to disagree with you too...

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

Well said, pisean.  I've learned one thing from these forums.  People will forget what you said and people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

1. Cagsil profile image70

And that only happens with people who are negative at their core. wink

2. libby101a profile image60
          libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree couturepopcafe! It really doesn't matter what you believe for it is your right.. and it's great to post your opinion and your thoughts... but how you come across to others (peaceful or not) is what defines you!

Christian, Muslim, atheist or any others should always be peaceful and respectful not of the others beliefs but of the human being behind those beliefs!! And putting down someone's belief can be very disrespectful to one who holds that belief!!

1. profile image0

well said, libby - unfortunately, that doesn't happen in reality

no it doesn't.

jesus is the number one answer for true belief in God.
        the bible is good for truth again.

what defines false belief is what is not of those two.
        Christians do not have to respect false beliefs we are to correct them. This sounds pretentious but, to say nothing is like to watch someone walking blind into traffic while I smile and just wave goodbye.
        There is a truth
        There is falseness
        I will always say that people who are not jesus oriented follow a false path. This is simple to discern. Next is saved. Jesus talks about being saved all the time and peter mentions quite plainly the way this is done in the book of Acts.

why do i have truth? Truth is not hard to find, actually. It is all in the book everyone seems to think is rubbish. I suppose i had a little bit of faith to confess my sins and ask God to lead my life, after that, the spirit of God started to change me so firmly i could not ignore it. This is what generally happens, the only modifier is some listen and do, others do not.
        The hardest part is to cease from my own labors and allow the spirit to do its work.
        hope that helps

@hangingout jesus is only answer is your opinion..I hope that helps..like you have right to your opinion..others have right to their opinions..keep beliving in what you think is true but dont try to claim that it is true for all because every one has his/her definition of truth and thats the whole deal...

you keep saying that and i can't justify your belief. Buddha is not calling me home, hari krisha is not leading the orchestra in heaven, ghandi is not the  gatekeeper. Mans ideas of what he does not live in or have access to or can experience or can see, touch, smell is all conjecture. God in his wisdom left a book. When you go to school what do you study from.. books...why this is so hard to understand i have no idea.
            the whole deal is separation from God. God was in the middle east with hindus and muslims and all sorts of religions, baal worship, the egyptian gods and he crushed them all, denied them all, reproved them all and said He is the only god and there is no other beside him... and jesus said i am the way the truth and door.
            It doesn't get much clearer than that.

When you go to school what do you study from.. books...

Exactly...but what if there are 20 books contradicting each other..how does one zeroed on which book is right and which is not..just because i think that x book is right and around 33% of my class believes it is right..does that mean what other 24% or 16% believe is wrong?..secondly do i have authority to claim that?...i should appear in exam and teacher would decide..i wont go on rejecting , criticizing 24% or 16%...i hope that makes my point of view clearer...

No one including so called religious preachers have right to claim what is wrong book or right book...It is domain of god to do so...if one believes in god..

6. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

When you pray for something say, a BMW car or a secondhand bike and if you got it and you conclude your prayer has been heard, it is supersitions. God never gives anything to anybody by the latter pryaing to him. He just gives even without your as much as thinking about him.

When you believe that God has given you everything that you have, it is belief

Prayer is important because christians do different things than the unsaved do. Christians pray for more of God in understanding, knowledge, love.. yknow, spiritiual things. We pray for missionaries around the world. Our church, the body of christ believers. Unsaved people that they be saved. Other stuff like that, but a bmw.. or even a car... not i. Some people may need that or be specific in their prayers for personal things. I just asked God for transportation and i ended up with an electric motorcycle. When i give God room to work he is wonderfully surprising. I am glad God can multitask because i would hate to think that some child starved while God was working on my particular need or some other prayer was not head while God was listening to me. I never try to be too specific in my prayers for material things. I am supposed to be content with whatever i have and i am. I have not much lol but i do have all i need.

7. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry, but I just don't see any difference between religion and superstition.

8. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Does science approve it? Science being the Work of the Creator-God Allah YHWH.

Do the Revealed Religion has any Word of Revelation for it?

If it is not there; it is superstition out and out.

9. spookyfox profile image60
      spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

hanging out:
      "The core of my explanation was that jesus is about love, Gods love and not killing."

Jesus according to the new testament (again):
      "I will strike her children dead."

I couldn't find the scripture you refer to so when you tell me the chapter and verse, i will take a look at it.

10. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Even "IF" our (The humanity's') earliest understanding of
      the "creation" was overly simplistic , and what we now call pagan; we can compare that situation with a six year old understanding of their Mom?

Doesn't matter how eloquently Mom explains everything to the child, the child has limited understanding.

And that child explains everything he knows to his friends...
      Mom cooks food, ...  Mom cleans House, ... Mom bathes me when I am dirty, Mom carries me when I am too tired to walk. ETC, ETC.

The child's friends think that the child has many moms

As the child matures, with Moms continuing intervention,
      the child's understanding grows.
         After time passes ..  The child understands and tells his friends ,,, 
        There is only ONE MOM. And Mom tells them, "I AM"  mom!

It never was a question of which consept of mom is the right one!
         There was only one mom (and many perceptions) all along.

But because of the original misunderstanding, many of the child's friends (many years later) do not believe there ever was a mom.

nice analogy..but paganism can be understood with corporate world too...corporate world doesnot have chairman sweeping office , doing sales , production and every thing else..he runs departments which has heads and pagans thought in that way...so guess pagans were smarter than middle ages people...atleast we work that way in real life...just imagine god not empowering anyone and working himself at everything..doesnot seemed to be too smart thing to do smile

anyways you are right in way religion evolved but this is not end of it...may be in future we would see more religion and considered us as child like you did in mentioning that analogy...

11. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Paganism "could be" something similar to my analogy ? OR

some of the "Angels" that were cast down to the earth as stated in scripture Just might have presented themselves as "The" god that had control over that particular concern.

There are a few different scenarios that "could ?" be true and not contradict what is actually written in scripture,
      At least not contradicting,  until we apply OUR own interpretations to them.

well scriptures are tricky things..it can mean many different things at same time...i think you made a valid point out here...

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pisean282311,  Thank you.

C.V.Rajan  You are correct. 

No one can actually say with all certainty that their point of view is the "Only right one" 

10:40 AM here and as John Wayne often said, "I'm wasteing Daylight"  I have a few chores I gotta get to.

12. C.V.Rajan profile image60
      C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

"What I believe is religion.
      What you believe is superstition!"

Attitude of almost all of us.

lol perfect

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)