failing pursute of destany

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image54
    journymanposted 13 years ago

Cost that can't be retrieved in death or hesitent shame. Fear is our only premiss that carries us into fragile comman ground. but with all we know nothing is our revalation of dier calming intentive prespective. Seeing is'nt allways believing, for we are intomed in are own fallies of greatness. Dammed are we who find ourselves in content and dromadary lives filled with poinet cries of wild frailties that have no bearing in our insunifagant inpenatrble lives that have nothing to bear the droll of being. so do not pine for me or my damnation it is mine an mine alone.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please join in the debate forum titled "What Constitutes Poetry - The Debate Continues,"

I think failing pursute of destany is a perfect example of what we are debating.  It falls into the category of passionate, emotional expression with spelling and grammer errors which add to the intensity of the poem (whether they are intentional or not). 

Would you explain the meaning of the third line?

"but with all we know nothing is our revalation of dier calming intentive prespective."

Thank you.

1. profile image54
        journymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes the grammer and spelling is intentional. Because to write I must draw out the most of what I am. And the thought it takes to ensure the proper grammer and spelling, can hinder the emotion and fluid exspression. And  as for the third line, it means, all the knowledge in the world can't save us from ourselves.

And I guess not saving us from ourselves can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective and situation!

2. sligobay profile image59
    sligobayposted 13 years ago

Journeyman-

There is no shame in mispelling, particularly among a supportive group of other who seek to improve our writing.
    That is why someone invented spellcheck. I enjoyed the thoughts and images in your poem. I needed to look at it a different way to get there; to the point of enjoyment. Here's how I looked at your poem:

Failing Pursuit of Destiny

Cost that can't be
    retrieved in death
    or hesitant shame.
    Fear is our only premise
    that carries us into
    fragile common ground.
    but with all we know nothing
    is our revelation of dire
    calming intensive perspective.
    Seeing isn’t always believing,
    for we are entombed
    in our own follies of greatness.
    Dammed are we who find ourselves
    in content and dromedary lives
    filled with poignant cries
    of wild frailties
    that have no bearing
    in our insignificant impenetrable lives
    that have nothing to bear the droll of being.
    so do not pine for me or my damnation
    it is mine and mine alone

3. sligobay profile image59
    sligobayposted 13 years ago

I reviewed another poem penned by the butcher's hands (in the words of Journyman) which I spaced but did not correct the spelling which he claims is intentionally done. I think that even spacing helps a poem to be understood or misunderstood.

For the purpose of this forum discussion, and not by way of criticism, I have included some spacing and no punctuation. I am not saying that this is better, only that I the reader can better understand the poem. Wat duz evryone else thienk?

Unsure

Where can we find ourselves in our most decrepid form
                       ooOOoo
    Can we find falley in the forest of designed preparation
                       ooOOoo
    that haunts us in the dark receses of light lost
                       ooOOoo
    Come and free us from famntom grace that awaits us in a dawning deception
                       ooOOOoo
    Peir into the urin soaked gutters of unseen giants favored in enlightenment
                 oooOOooo
    call out to the wolves den, herold us into valor damnation
                   oooOOooo
    for we are as we can only be seen in the eyes of machine driven junkies
                  oooOOOooo
    . filtered and formed in television's glue for the masses
                  oooOOOooo
    of hording ghost lost in constant piles of favor
                   oooOOOooo
    Can we truly ever be ourselve's
                   oooOOOooo
    can we ever be whole and humble

oooOOOooo
    in the wake of a mass desiese
                   oooOOOooo
    that eats the flesh of what we truly are
                   oOo

by journyman

I don't care which way it's put - I love this piece.  I thought about how it would be with correct spelling but it would change the entire mood of the piece.  The mispelling gives us a look at the monster who wrote it, the beast, the genius mind, the total lack of boundries in the nightmare place. Either that or he's got us all fooled and is far more genius by way of double deceipt, of being someone pretending to be someone else.  Either way, brilliant.  If he's not fooling us, this is raw talent at its finest.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Journeyman, your "failing pursuit of destiny" poem (as others have said) isn't a bad poem.   I found, though, that when I just clicked on this thread out of nowhere, I didn't even recognize it's a poem. I just thought it was an "odd" post.  I think it's a disservice to your poems that you just don't write them the way that works well for you when you write them, but then ago back and space the lines the way slibogay suggests (and maybe run spell-check).  I do think your poems would come across so much as a "real" poetry.  Look at how nice (and professionally done) your poem looks after it had some spacing put into it.  smile

You're right.  Running grammar-check on a poem is going to turn up a whole bunch of errors that would lead to changing your words, because grammar-check is aimed at writing other than poetry.  Spell-check doesn't take much time, though (and if it picks up on something you don't want to change you don't have to change what you've written).  Adding in those spaces are as simple as looking at each line and clicking "enter" on your keyboard, so that doesn't take much time.  I just think your poems deserve this couple of steps, because (as I, and others, have said), they're fine poems.

What "makes a poem" isn't necessarily about the format.  It's about the way the thoughts are expressed.  Not letting what IS a poem (and a good one) be recognized as a poem, out of not throwing in some spaces after the lines doesn't make it "not a poem".  It does, though, make it hard to recognize as a poem, hard to read, and hard to develop some "pattern" or "mental system" when reading it.

I'm not poetry expert, but I think if you wanted to add misspellings intentionally you should leave them in.  Something like spacing, though, might give the reader more of a hint that it's a poem and help the reader realize the intentional misspellings are what they are.  If you don't want to see your words "all rowed up poem-style" you could maybe help readers know it isn't "just a paragraph of writing" by putting in some kind of punctuation at the end of each thought/line instead of spaces (for example:   ...... or --- or whatever would make it clear it wasn't a paragraph of prose).    Just another opinion (obviously) - for what it is or isn't worth.  smile

5. profile image54
    journymanposted 13 years ago

I can only write what is honestly my own words and it comes from years of looking in and looking at what i see as the truth. But my truth and yours are two differnt things. If you can see that and find some common prespective of yours and mine then thank you. Because it took a lot of courage for me to post these words that pore from my inner most being. they do not come from planned and revised scrips there just off the top of the head thouts and images. call it what you will but there just words from nothing, the abissful mind that is aware of its own prision in the human form. I find it sad that we see ourselves as alone and isolated when were all part of this greatness, this infinant dream we call existance. so we should be greatful to get to see inside of others and let them know there not alone. thank you again.

email me anytime.  you're not alone.

6. treasure121 profile image59
    treasure121posted 13 years ago

as the claws fend for hen, that is how i exemplify knowledge with my pen.

treasure - what is the meaning of the word 'hen' here?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)