re: new computer virus

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

A friend sent this to me early this morning. I'm not sure if this will affect you in your neck of the woods but just in case it's worth the warning

READ IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY IMPORTANT!   PLEASE READ THIS  - These e-mails are floating around currently.

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning, Direct fromboth Microsoft and Norton Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled “Here you have it”  If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful....'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp

1. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips. I just checked and have not received anything like that as yet.  I did just this afternoon get an urgent update from Microsoft for my Windows XP machine? cool

Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought it's worth the heads-up just in case

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

You just Can't Beat a Good Fitting Condom smile

It's times like this that they come into their own as a valuable attachment for your Jim Computer - Irrespective of Size, Location, Orientation or Port Positions! big_smile

I'm sure Misha has a good affiliate agency deal for them and for those who can't help but fall asleep on their keyboards yikes There are a whole new range of flavors available smile

Disclaimer:

The author takes no responsibility for: Cheap Imitations, Recycled Products or User Stupidity.

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

That email ITSELF is designed to create panic, it is utterly useless. There is no virus.

Delete the email, do not pass it on to anyone in your address list and ask your friends and family from refraining from sending you this type of email.

When I was in the field as a comp tech, I used to see this type of crap all the time. It is nothing but a time waster and a trap for those that are unaware. Having said that....

What is effective and what does work is vigilance, if you don't know where an email is coming from, or even if you do, delete it & CERTAINLY do not open the attachment. The sender if you know them, can always re-send an email you deleted anyway.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll Don't Play Down the Need for My Safe Networking Tips big_smile

2. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

Kangaroo_Jase, sorry to have wasted your time and sorry that you think it's a waste of time to send out an alert like this. Furthest thing on my mind is to cause a panic attack BUT I appreciate the time my friends gave as a heads up, and I do not consider it utterly useless. If this alert does nothing else except to remind my friends here on Hubpages to be careful about what email they open, then it was also well worth my time... 

naturally you do not have to heed my warning as it seems you apparently know best...

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Zsuzsy Bee,

You have not wasted my time. If anything, I sincerely hope anyone reading your message will start to ask about this email from any qualified computer technician they know, or at least ring one if they do not know one personally.

I made comment as this is something within my field of tertiary education and experience and the issue I have is the specific information given within the email itself.

If your OP had been about brakes on cars, I would be on the phone about my car right now to my regular mechanic, why? Because I know a little about cars, but I have no qualifications and no idea how to fix them.

4. reversecharles profile image57
    reversecharlesposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

5. nikmaya62 profile image60
    nikmaya62posted 13 years ago

I know the virus, That is "here you have" virus. Any body must be careful for this. It can spread fastly.

6. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the warning.  I checked my accounts, and so far,so good.

7. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

I received the Email and the email itself contained a virus!

Patty, that's awful. It didn't cause any harm I hope. I worry about this. There are times when I get at least 30-40 email at a time (all work related) and some of these are by new clients whose names I'm not familiar with.
      It seems the more secure we are trying to make our lives the more protection we need.
      Hope you're well
      Zsuzsy

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Zsuzsy! -

My computer anti-virus program is pretty good, turns out - stopped it immediately with a notification onscreen at the same time. It was a new trick to me that the virus was contained in a warning.

PC viruses can cause havoc in a person's professional communtications - during a 2-year period in the early 2000s, I received over 10,000 viruses, e-bombs, worms, etc. Took a while to sort out.

2. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not surprised.  Someone forwarded this warning to me.  While my Norton nor Webroot alerted, something about the message itself just didn't feel professional or "real" to me.

8. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up!

I really hope that no-one gives these hackers a chance.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.... By The Way Zsuzsy smile

9. CYBERSUPE profile image62
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Thank You Zsuzsy and I will be aware now.

10. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

I  had read that the Life Owner email was a hoax. Most accounts say that it's a copycat of the Life Is Beautiful hoax, but I came across this story that says otherwise:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39087497

@ Patty- I'm glad your computer was unharmed!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too! Thanks; and good to see you.

11. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Thanks I emailed the news to my family.

Its pretty obvious for me to never open anything when you don't know what it is, but sometimes people just can't resist I guess!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)