Favorite poetic snippets...

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (40 posts)
  1. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 13 years ago

What are your favorite poetic snippets, 4 lines or less, and what do they mean to you..?

" When I have fears that I may cease to be, before this pen has gleaned my teeming brain,
    " Before high piled books, hold like rich garners, the full-ripened grain.." John Keats...

This reminds me of my own mortality and of experiences buried deep within that I should share with those I love...the " full-ripened grain " of an awakened maturity and understanding...Larry

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One would think people would use this opportunity to quote their own poems... but no.

2. Gypsysilk profile image60
      Gypsysilkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Oh wad some power the giftie gie us,to see oursels as others see us ."
      I love this from Rabbie Burns and there is never a truer word said

maven101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Such truth be spoken by the great Bobby Burns...Here is a similar snippet from another great poet, W.C. Auden:
        " All that we are not stares back at what we are ".

3. VictorS. profile image60
      VictorS.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"It is bitter--bitter," he answered;
      "But I like it
      Because it is bitter,
      And because it is my heart."

Stephen Crane, The Black Riders and Other Lines, III

All of the poems in this collection of poetry are good, but number three is the one I've seen quoted most often, and for a good reason.

A little context: The narrator of this poem sees a creature in the dessert eating its own heart. The narrator asks, "Is it good, friend?"

What it means to me: There is more than one interpretation for this poem obviously, but one thing that it represents to me is a coming to terms with the shadow part of the psyche, the parts of ourselves that we find repulsive or don't want to acknowledge. The creature finds what it is and what it is doing very bitter, but likes likes it because the acknowledgement is a type of healing, or at least an honesty. The narrator (and the reader) watches and perhaps considers accepting their own shadow aspects.

Such insightful commentary on a poem of such personal significance...I was wondering if this is the same Stephen Crane that wrote so masterfully on the American Civil War..?

1. VictorS. profile image60
          VictorS.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep. None other than the writer of The Red Badge of Courage, one of my favorites.

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

" Why was six afraid of seven?
      Because seven was a robot.  "

This is just plain beautiful. It reminds me that robots are dangerous. I have contemplated this sense of danger and come to think it originates in the fact that they can shoot you with laser.

You have every reason to fear robots, my friend...This little " Robot pome " by Jason Christie should validate your necessary fear :
      "Why do I have to be one of millions?
      Why can't I just be a lonely little one,
      in search of a zero to call my own?..."
      A blue Robot..? Yikes !!!

3. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

Know thyself and to thyself be true

The Oracle of Delphi remains a mystery of history...but the words are immortal...

4. epigramman profile image59
    epigrammanposted 13 years ago

.....why yes ..... anything that I've written .......

5. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

Too late, my time has come
    Sends shivers down my spine
    Body's aching all the time
    Goodbye, everybody
    I've got to go
    Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth
    Mama, oh (Anyway the wind blows)
    I don't want to die
    Sometimes wish I'd never been born at all

Interesting, but what does it mean to you..?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The words fit my emotions perfectly.  It actually means to me exactly what it says.

6. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Thought this might be of interest to poets:

From Christian Wiman, Editor, Poetry

Let us remember...that in the end we go to poetry for one reason, so that we might more fully inhabit our lives and the world in which we live them, and that if we more fully inhabit these things, we might be less apt to destroy both.

I should think that those that go to poetry at all, would be the least-likely to destroy anything...
      Here is a snippet from Yeats I find applies to some I know:
      " Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."...

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love it.  And yes, let me rephrase.  Of interest to poets not in the sense that we are destroyers but in the sense that "we are the music makers, the singers of songs,..." etc.

7. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 13 years ago

Yes..we are indeed the music makers...The music of life, rhythmic, cyclical, enduring...What has allowed us, as poets, to endure this..? To soak in life and expel it through verbal imagery..? Is there a poetic gene..? This need to color life with such spontaneous remarks ..? An inner sobbing at this life of such injustices, or an inner laughter at the absurdity of life's challenges..? I don't know the answer...I only know that I know nothing, and knowing nothing allows me to accept all knowledge, without prejudice...Truth will always out...
    Another snippet :
    “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.” Oscar Wilde...

8. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Imagine all the people - John Lennon - self-explanatory.

9. Ben Evans profile image66
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

I was angry with my friend;
    I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
    I was angry with my foe:
    I told it not, my wrath did grow.

-William Blake

Love it.

10. couturepopcafe profile image60

Where in the Hands of Creation does breath begin us?
    Breaking silence.  Becoming the inside.  - Caleca

11. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

No man is an island, entire of itself

12. couturepopcafe profile image60

Much of the world's beauty forms in response to a wound. -unknown

13. Ben Evans profile image66
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

You can spend all your time making money
    You can spend all your love making time
    If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
    Would you still be mine?

-Eagles "Take it to the Limit"

14. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

"The zenith of times creation,

is a 2 legged "imp" called: MAN!

Diminutive in size compared to the rest,

...timorously active but bright none the less,

this frail little primate was nobody's fool!

...Not far in the future the world "It" would rule!"

Qwark

Awesome.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

TY Couture!   :-)
        That was a "snippet" from a 4 chapter poem I wrote as a "hub."

15. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

Quoth the raven, nevermore.

16. profile image0
    Doug Turner Jr.posted 13 years ago

"Who among mortal men are you, good friend?
    For never before have I seen you in the fighting
    Where men win glory, yet now you have come
    Striding in front of all others in your great heart."

Homer's Iliad

Also known as REMF's...
      Epic poetry has pretty much diminished , Milton's " Paradise Lost " being the last epic poem of any real significance...
      What was your impression of Hercules, the man, not the warrior..?

17. aware profile image66
    awareposted 13 years ago

dang great to see you maven

Hey, aware !!...Been out of town  the last couple weeks...Had to see the ocean again...I truly miss the beach scene...Arizona is wonderful, but the call of the sea birds, the roar of the surf, and the moonlight glancing off the bay is missed terribly...
      I'll be catching up on my fav poets ( where you rank very high ) in the next couple days...Go well my friend...Larry

18. aware profile image66
    awareposted 13 years ago

Larry you are the person i wish most to read more of.
    Thank you friend
    Ray

19. janessecret profile image41
    janessecretposted 13 years ago

Noons of dryness see you fed. By the involuntary powers,Nights of insult let you pass. Watched by every human love.

Auden, the greatest love poet of all . . .

Wonderful snippet from a most wonderful poet...I have quoted him in an earlier comment that projects his philosophical bent...Larry

20. janessecret profile image41
    janessecretposted 13 years ago

Couldn't resist this one too . . .

time held me green and dying, though i sang in my chains like the sea...

This is about the golden handcuffs of comfort that we all wear, though we may be content we can nevwe really be happy unless we can break those chains.

His reference to the sea strikes me as a sea that is bound by the shores it rages against, chained by its inability to reach beyond the shoreline, its comfort zone...Larry

21. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

"There once was a lad from Nantucket
    Who carried a very large bucket..."

Considering the deluge of rain and snow today, I think the young man must have been an eagle scout.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)