A question for hubbers who buy things online

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Appletreedeals profile image67
    Appletreedealsposted 13 years ago

Primarily related to Amazon affiliate cookie for items placed in the shopping cart.

Question:
    When you shop AND BUY things online do you ever leave items in your shopping cart and come back to complete the sale more than 24 hrs later?

Or

Do you complete your transaction after you have put whatever you wanted in the shopping cart?

I, as a guy, (heard somewhere that guys and gals have different shopping habits), always complete my transactions when done. I don't remember ever leaving a items in a cart for days, and coming back later to complete the sale.

What about you?

GA

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Frequently.

Appletreedealsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know it must be the "Guys are from Mars Women are from Venus" thing, but since the answer will not only enlighten me as a guy, but will also help direct my sales effort - Why leave things and not complete the sale until days later?

(ps. even in my extremely advanced age, I am still struggling to understand women ... sigh, maybe next century)

GA

1. lrohner profile image67
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tend to comparison shop before I actually click the "buy" button. Sometimes I just run out of time and have to come back to things. Sometimes I'm out "window shopping" and not ready to buy. So I leave it in my cart so I'll remember it next time.

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image67
      Hmrjmr1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here finish the job at the time.

3. J Sunhawk profile image68
      J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have things in my Amazon cart that are a year or more old. Amazon likes it because they send me e-mails to buy the stuff.

I have an item in the cart that I know I'll need if a certain job comes up. I don't need it now, but I don't want to lose track of it so it goes in the cart.

Thanks Sunhawk - must be a personal preference thing. I just don't shop that way. Obviously some others do.

Now I just need to figure out if my marketing should consider this, or even if it would make any difference.

GA

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I often leave stuff there for awhile, especially if I haven't looked at similar items before buying.
      Sometimes you need to reach a certain amount before shipping is free.

2. sagebrush_mama profile image61
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

If I'm watching something, or thinking about it, at Amazon, I often put it in my cart, and may or may not come back to purchase.  Many of these things, I "save for later", and when I come back to my cart, there is usually a summary of things in it (including "saved for later" items) that have changed in price, whether increasing or decreasing.  It only shows at that time, and if I click away from the page, that summary won't show again. 

This is a useful shopping strategy during the holidays, as you can place something in your cart, which you are watching, and wait for the price to drop a bit, checking in frequently, because Amazon often does some really great discounting in December.  Sometimes, those deals change very quickly...there's a delicate balance between getting the very best price, and still getting something shipped in time for Christmas.  If it's really high on my priority list, I'll settle for a slight discount, just so I can be sure to have the item purchased and delivered.

Also, I will put things in my cart if I'm not sure about it, or if I'm on hold 'til payday, or if I can't finish the transaction just at that moment.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

On Ebay a whole pile of stuff goes in the 'watch list' just because most expensive things or things I'm not or my partner isn't positive about buying end up as a joint decision. We discuss the pros and cons between us before buying.

I still have something in my amazon cart from several weeks ago that I should buy but it's not urgent and want to grab some other stuff with it for my Xmas shopping. Prefer to order it all at once.

4. purpleangel47 profile image61
    purpleangel47posted 13 years ago

I may get kicked out of the woman's club for this but I hate shopping! Refuse to comparison shop for good deals. I wait til I have the $$$ to buy what I want, put it in the basket and buy it right then! When I want it, I want it. Now I do have an extensive Wish List on Amazon, but soon's I have the $$$, look out! smile

5. Appletreedeals profile image67

@all - thanks for the responses - I am getting the impression it is mostly a guy thing to not leave items in a cart.

@purpleangel - bet you drive your lady friends nuts on mall trips - sounds like you shop like a guy - LOL

@All - now the question becomes - Is there any way this should be taken into consideration, (if it even can be), when doing sales hubs

I will have to give that some thought....

But then... Amazon says you keep your cookie on cart items, but what if the shopper comes back on someone else's cookie and completes the cart transaction? Still your cookie?

GA

1. purpleangel47 profile image61
      purpleangel47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Appletreedeals ..... I probably would drive them nuts - IF I went with them! smile They know better than to ask smile
      Good luck with your shopping cart! smile

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Usually, my shopping goes like this:  "I need a coffee maker.  I think I'll see if I can find a good one on Amazon."  If I see one I like/want I just buy it and start looking forward to its showing up fast.

Once in awhile (especially if I'm bored)it goes like this:  "Hmm.  I'm bored.  I think I'll see if I feel like buying stuff online, but I only want to spend xx for boredom-shopping."  That's when I'll go to a bunch of sites, start hunting for stuff that catches my eye, start putting stuff in shopping carts for the Phase I part of the shopping, and then go back and skim a bunch of stuff off after I decide what I want and what the bill would come to.

Now that's a new one for me "Boredom Shopping"

hmmmm - How bored are you now? I need some Amazon sales for the electric bill - ahh - just go here - help://justkidding.lol

Seriously, thanks for the response. I'm still pondering if there is a way to market to this type of shopping.

Maybe a blurb/prod to "just put in your cart - just in case. You can always change it later."

GA

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually not bored at all right now.   lol  In fact, the reason I'm on the forums is that I'm resting from some pretty busy days.  There won't be any boredom shopping by me for several weeks now (although there may be some "Hey, I deserve something 'for me'" shopping after being frazzled with busy days and deprived of boredom shopping for this long.   lol  If you want to sell stuff, aim for the "I deserve something 'for me' " crowd.  Go with higher-priced stuff that the "I-deserve" crowd likes, and go for stuff the person will use himself/herself and not share with anyone else.  (Examples:  Regular sized TV - bad.  Those tend to be share.  3" pocket TV - good.  There's something very evil and  indulgent about buying and tucking away a secret mini-tv.  Set of dishes for the person who lives with others - bad.  Set of dishes for the person who lives alone - good.  lol  )

Other "because I deserve something good" shopping:  Better electronic gadgets than the ones someone already has.  Find a way to convince people to update, go with the colorful version, or else just get a duplicate of the one they already have, so they can have the "joy" of knowing they have a "back-up".   lol

Boredom shopping may only involve selling something like coffee grinders or coffee mugs (stuff you sort of think would be nice to buy).  "Because I deserve it" shopping involves real spending.   smile

Maybe it's not the blurb kind of thing you're thinking of, but the idea of a Hub about how cart-shopping is the new window shopping strikes me.   hmm

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I can identify with a lot of this-- but in my case I live in  the woods, near a very small town.
      We actually have very good grocery store, a small variety store and a couple of hardware stores. I like to shop in the town stores (partly because I want them to BE there for me), but there are things I want that are not really available locally.

I do keep a "buy later" list just because I can't find everything nearby.  I love buying on Amazon-- and having a big ol' truck bring me all my exact wishes.

7. Moonchild60 profile image76
    Moonchild60posted 13 years ago

If I need it right away, I will buy it and complete the transaction and even pay extra for overnight or expedited shipping.  If not, I may buy it immediately, I may think about it for a day or three...Usually I know what I want, go shop and buy it.  It is rare that I just leave something in my cart.

8. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I like shopping on Amazon, but usually make the transaction then and there.  I would very rarely put something in the basket to purchase later - i think I did that once but it was a mistake to have put it in the basket in the first place.

I'm not much of an impulse buyer, though.  On the internet I look all around for what I want, and then go back to the cheapest place to buy. SO I look on Amazon and read the reviews especially, then look elsewhere, then come back if Amazon is the best deal. I don't however leave things in baskets as a general rule.

9. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

The free shipping is what often brings me back to Amazon, as I hate to bump the price up with postage.

10. Appletreedeals profile image67

Thanks for all the responses

FYI - decided to incorporate a sneaky statement suggesting buyer stick things in their cart for comparison shopping- even if they are not sure about it.

Not dedicated enough to do any "study" on its effectiveness, but thinking it can't hurt, and it is another base covered.

GA

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

That might pan out... I have become a 'cart loader' in my own Amazon shopping.  Often I delete the considered item, but sometimes I buy.

11. DrumsAcousticMuse profile image63
    DrumsAcousticMuseposted 13 years ago

I can definitely see the arguments on both sides, how it might be useful to leave something in your cart for that job or so you don't lose track of it.

Its actually made me look at online shopping differently- more similar to "bookmarking", in a sense.

Up to now, though, i usually put things in my cart only when i am ready to buy- i might come to the site multiple times for research beforehand, and then leave the items in my cart for a few hours while i figure out payment plans, etc, but i am generally ready to make the purchase.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)