My Husband and Son Just Left to put our Black Lab Down

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (47 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

This has been a terrible year for our pets, we've had to put 2 dogs and a cat to sleep already, and at 4 am my sweet black lab, 'Friday,' began gasping for breath-I'm sure she's in pain.
    She's also riddled with tumorous growths, so it's time.  The vet was kind enough to wake and is coming to the clinic at this time Sunday morn.
    Damn, this hurts.
    I'm alone in the house now and just wanted to reach out to my HubFamily. sad

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lorlie, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I know just what you're going through because (besides having gone through it many times), just yesterday we went through the same thing with my daughter's cat (who also lived with me).  The vet didn't expect the cat to make it through Friday night, so my daughter brought her home because she didn't want her to go alone at the closed vet's office.   It became very obvious between Friday night and Saturday morning that the cat wouldn't make it at all much longer (hour maybe).  It was bad, though. 

Ordinarily I stay away from posts or anything else about losing animals (or anything sad about animals), but I thought I'd "commiserate" for a minute here.  I actually ended up writing a whole, big, Hub about it (but I know it's not one that a lot of people - especially someone who just lost a pet) would want to, or should, read).  I don't know if you may have written one yet, or may in the future; but (even though it's really not the kind of thing I'd ordinarily do) I actually feel a little bit of closure after having written it.

I guess all you (or anyone in this situation) can do is find those few thoughts that give you just a little bit of comfort, and keep thinking them whenever your thoughts stray toward the sentimental.  There'll be time for dealing with the more difficult thoughts later on.  For now, I know what works for me is to kind of stay away from the thoughts that bother me most.

2. Avamum profile image83
      Avamumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear, how sad for you and your family.  I have shared my life with many great canine companions, including a black lab named Cedric who we had to put to sleep after 15 !! years. That was several years ago, and I find that the best way for me to deal with it is to remember the funniest stories I can about him...whenever we felt sad the kids and I would start a "remember the time Cedric....."sentence, and we would end up laughing as we wiped our runny noses.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

3. profile image0
      Kerry43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

(Hugs)  lorlie6.

Thinking of you....

Kez:)

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry you have to go through this again.

lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, UW.  I think this is it for a while, at least I hope so-Our generations of animals are coming full circle.
      I appreciate your words, you are another animal lover here-We're special folk.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Lorlie, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved pet. You and your family are in my thoughts...

Thanks so much, Irohner.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

It's hard isn't it...had to do the same thing about a month ago...the vet came to my place....it was hard making the call.  That's just too darn many pets to lose in a year.  And, you know, you're doing the best thing for Friday now.  But it hurts doesn't it.........

It's pretty overwhelming, I know.  Now I'm worried about my 4 year old Malamute-healthy guy named Ranger-who loved Friday.  He's looking for her as I type.  Poor guy.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Poor Ranger...he'll probably not be himself for abit...

5. ExpandYourMind profile image69
    ExpandYourMindposted 13 years ago

Sorry for your loss and tramatic year.  Sometimes, I wish our pets had the same lifespan as us.  They are gone far too soon, but I bet you treated them well and they had a happy life with you. Take care.

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry, please ask your family for a big hug when they get back home to you.

7. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry, Lorlie.  Giving that last gift to a beloved pet is so hard.  As others have said, give the family a hub on their return.

8. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Lorlie, so sorry, I know this must feel like a terrible nightmare, my heart goes out to you. Lots of (((hugs ))) to you. I am sure that what you have decided to do is the best for your Lab, so be in peace.

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Oh, Laurel...I weep for you, my friend. Sending cyber hugs.

1. adrienne2 profile image67
      adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lorlie my heart ached when I read your post.  I am so sorry for your loss, *cyber hugs* we love you Lorlie.

10. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

Aw, Lorlie, I'm so sorry! We have a cancer-ridden black lab also, he's not got much time left. Every day I wonder if today's the day. They become like our kids, or family members, and when they go it hurts us just as if a relative had passed. Please be comforted by knowing that your Lab will be waiting at the gate when you go Home.

11. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

You know, one year we got two dogs and three cats. Sixteen years later they all died... I'll never get all my animals at close-together times again.

12. lorlie6 profile image72

Thanks everyone, for giving your support so freely and generously.  My family is stunned, though Friday was going downhill for a while.  It is always hard, though, to lose a family member.
    The HubPages community is balm for my soul.
    Thanks again.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sad  so sorry to hear.  my dog is part black lab, they're so gentle and loving.  you gave him love and affection, that's all they ask of us.  {{hugs}}

13. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

There is a special pain to watching a beloved pet suffer and finally having to make "the call." So sorry you are living in that surreal grief state, Lorliegal.
    It HAS been a terrible year for you.
    Which means 2011 can only be better. I KNOW it will be, dammit!!!

I hope that, when you are ready, you will get a new companion for Ranger (and a new cat, too, cuz I loves kitties).
    The happy thing about pets is while we can't, and would never want to replace them, we have the opportunity to refill our homes and hearts with new love. And that really helps the healing (in my experience, anyway).
    Hugs to you, dear Lorlie.
    We are ALWAYS here for you.
    MM

14. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Our chocolate lab died in my arms about a year and a half ago and I think about him every day.

Our pets are most definatly big parts of the family. 

Hugs to you and your family.  While the memories dont go away the mourning does get easier.

Dale

15. LindaJM profile image80
    LindaJMposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry... sending condolences on your loss. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet.

16. lorlie6 profile image72

My hubby's really taking it hard, he's determined that we NEVER get another animal again.  I know that's grief speaking, since we've always had creatures in our lives and always will.
    I can't imagine life without them-everything would be so COLD!

17. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 13 years ago

Hugs to you, lorlie.  I know how much it hurts, I really do.  And the people who don't understand that just boggle my mind.

I've had a bad pet year, too.  We're in the midst of making a decision about our beagle/lab, poor 16 year old girl.  It's so hard and it is just excruciating, no doubt.  But, I'm with you, the trade off is just too wonderful...  I can't imagine not having at least one animal in my life, how lonely, quiet, hair-free (ha ha) and boring.

Thinking of you and your family today.  sad

18. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

All the best Lorlie smile
    Always a hard call to make... sorry for your loss mate.

I lost my pet frog earlier this year, but that was alot easier because he just hopped off and I can always wonder if he found love? hmm

Hi there WS.. hope you're ok smile

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
      wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm well, PD.  Why wouldn't I be?  smile  Oh, I guess you mean my pooch? 

How are you?

19. thismamaworksit profile image61
    thismamaworksitposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that...I have a yellow lab and I cannot imagine the day when she leaves us.

Hugs to you and your family.

20. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

So truly saddened and tearful to read this Lorlie. I have been through this a fair few times now, and it never gets any easier. The best comfort I found was in my resolute and unfaltering belief that we will be reunited with our pets in the next life, and the short term comfort of the poem "Rainbow Bridge", which I am sure you know of, but if not you should most definitely look up and read. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

21. IvoryMelodies profile image64
    IvoryMelodiesposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry, Lorlie.  Whoever said pets are like children is so right.  It's rare to find that unconditional love in people.  I took in two kittens, brother and sister, when they were about 12 weeks old.  She passed from cancer at age 17, and he died of old age at 19.  They were truly my kids, like so many others have expressed.  I pray strength as you grieve, and that very soon that grief is replaced by only cherished memories.  Big hugs to you and your family.

22. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

That's awful. Do you have any other pets? I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I lost my dog when I was 13 (over 10 years ago) and I still miss him.

23. wordscribe43 profile image91

Well, lorlie... Looks like we are in this together.  We are taking our dog in to be euthanized tomorrow at noon.  Wish we could hang out in person right now...  It's just an awful experience.  I hope you are okay today, let us know.

24. lorlie6 profile image72

My love to each and every one of you who have responded to the OP.  It seems there are many animal lovers here on HP, more than I could ever imagine.
    I am proud to be a part of this community and my prayers go out to you who are going through the same sorrows.
    PS: Rainbow Bridge is absolutely beautiful!

25. wordscribe43 profile image91

We put our beloved dog to sleep at noon today.  She passed peacefully, a very humane death, no doubt.  We will miss her terribly.  RIP Boofus McFadden.

Oh Wordscribe, I am so very sorry to hear this.  I send you my good thoughts and know Boofus is out of pain now.
      Your pain is left, but you know it will soften over time.
      Much love and many((((HUGS)))).

26. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Lorlie, sorry to hear about your lab.  They are such sweet dogs.  But I think your sweetie would prefer to be out of pain.  Pets will be missed terribly, but like any member of the family, good memories sustain us.

27. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Laural; I am soo sorry , if I could I would make it all better, somehow, but I can't. Only your memories of these babies will do that for you. They will too ,you know! I too have a choc. lab  and a golden retriever.  I don't know what I'll do when that time comes. And I also can't believe how close I have become with them both. And they are mid life! Five and a half and three and a half, respectively. My heart is with you and them too! Smile for us . Your friends.

Thanks so much, ahorseback.  You're a dear for posting.  Every day it gets a little easier, though I'm still seeing her and hearing her in this house.
      Strange, but understandable-I think!

28. wordscribe43 profile image91

ahorseback and lorlie, thanks.  I know we made the right decision which helps immensely.  But, it just hurts so much.  She was the first dog my husband and I got together... before we were married.  So, it's kinda like closing the chapter on some significant history, if you know what I mean. 

I just finished washing and putting away her special blanket and bed.  I won't be able to look at her cute little butterfly/dragonfly collar for a long time.  Reminders everywhere, Lorlie.  I totally know what you mean... It's just empty, and well, sucky.

Hugs to you, wish we could go have coffee together.

29. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Lorlie, sorry you are having to go through this, it is so hard to let them go. I have had to do this myself a time or two so I know how you must feel. At least now he won't be in anymore pain. I know you will miss him, greatly.

30. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Aw I'm sorry to hear that Lorlie.  I know exactly how you feel, as I had to go through the same thing a few months ago when i put my dog down.  I wish I could say the pain of losing them ever goes away, but you can always comfort in knowing that at least they won't be in pain anymore.  Anyways, I'm sorry to hear this happened, and i hope things will be okay for you.

31. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

sad

32. profile image0
    Aleister888posted 13 years ago

Im so sorry to hear of your loss, i had to have my dog put down just last week, its a terrible thing to happen, rest assured, its better that its no longer in pain.

God Bless smile

33. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

So sorry to read about your loss. In the last 7 months I have lost two cats, so I know what you are going through. It sounds like Friday had a great innings, and I know that she will be missed but never forgotten.
    Best wishes, Toby.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4156955_f248.jpg

34. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

Oh Lorlie how sad. It's never easy losing a best friend.

35. Dena Bez profile image59
    Dena Bezposted 13 years ago

As an animal lover myself, I am very sorry for your loss.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)