more people are googling Kelly Rippa than Elizabeth Edwards

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. OpinionDuck profile image61
    OpinionDuckposted 13 years ago

Why are people more interested in what is going on with Celebrities, than the continued failure of the medical world and the government to find medical cures??

2. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 13 years ago

It probably has more to do with Kelly Ripa's higher visibility.  She is on television almost every day.  Elizabeth Edward's husband is not even in the new that much any more.

OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was Elizabeth Edwards that just died after losing a six year battle with breast cancer.

To me that is important than a TV host that over exercised.

Maybe it is just me, but I expected more from the people.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I have no idea about both of them

Thanks for commenting

4. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

What about everyone else who recently died from breast cancer, or any cancer for that matter?  Are people GOOGLEing them?

Don't know

My point was people were more interested in a TV host on crutches than a public figure that died of Breast Cancer.

I probably expect too much of people.
      Like the billions of dollars being donated for elections would be better served trying to fight deadly diseases.

Thanks

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
        Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have only heard about Elizabeth Edwards since it is all over the news and everywhere you look. I feel that it has been covered and taken seriously. I have not heard anything about Kelly Ripa. I don't watch her show and have not heard anything in the news. What actually happened to her?

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure a lot of people don't feel as if they already pretty know what there is to know about Elizabeth Edwards.  Many people have followed her story since the beginning, and now that she's lost her battle - what else is there to know?

Besides, a few days ago when I was out with someone and brought up the news about Mrs. Edwards, my companion said, "Oh, I know.  I felt so bad that I cried."  She said, "I watched the first coverage of it, but then I had to turn it off."  I, personally, didn't cry, but I did feel bad.  Like my companion, I watched the news story once and then decided not to watch more.  The end of her her long battle had come.  What else was there to know (at least as far as what I "needed to know" went).

I would suspect that if people are online, just idly Googling names, they might just find some silliness or idle "fun" (if that's what it is for them) in Googling someone like Kelly Rippa. Sometimes, people's response to hearing of a serious/sad story like that of Elizabeth Edwards isn't to Google anyone/anything.  In other words, it may be an apples/oranges thing as far who gets searched and why goes.

Besides, if the thing was that people didn't know why Kelly Rippa was on crutches (if that's what the thing was), it's not hard to understand that they would be curious.  A lot of people knew exactly what had happened to Mrs. Edwards and had no need to search.  Either way, though, who Googles what isn't necessarily a measure of "all of society".  It's a measure of the Googling public.  Not everyone in the general public makes a habit of Googling anyone/anything, contrary to what a lot of people just automatically believe.

Again my point is that the focus of too many people in this country is what is going on in the lives of celebs.

Why is it so important what they do, where they go, who they are going with, where they live, etc.

At the same time, people think that if they put a pink ribbon on their clothes or cars, and donate to a cause they have done their job.

The focus on what is really important is minimal compared to the shiny objects that are dangled in front of them from the media.

I am just tired of not having any medical cures in the last fifty years, and only the discovery of yet more diseases.

I guess if I am not clear about the purpose of this subject, then I made a mistake.

6. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

No one would be googling Elizabeth Edwards if her husband hadn't run for president.  She is just another brick in the wall.  Likewise Kelly Ripa.  She is no more special than you or I.  She just happens to be on TV.

7. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i never heard about her til you just mentioned her.  Maybe i should go google her.......

I am important, you are important, we are all important.... would not want anyone googling me tho would you

misha love the new photo, maybe it is not new, but i have not been around for a while.  Remember the first one you had in a black t. shirt, and you looked like you had been dragged through the hedge backwards, your hair.... man, what an improvement.

8. OpinionDuck profile image61
    OpinionDuckposted 13 years ago

Before I leave, I want to make it clear that the importance here is Breast Cancer on a public figure that has enough money to get the best treatment in the world, and yet no one could help her.

Kelly Rippa is a celeb, and her problem was done to herself by herself, Cancer is for the most part not something that you knowing do to yourself. Forget the exception of smoking, asbestos and the like because there is an awareness that you might be doing something bad.

Muscular Dystrophy has been championed by Jerry Lewis for more than three decades, he has raised both awareness and money to fight this disease and there is no CURE.

I am disappointed in the apathy of the country to not see the problem and fix it. Obama healthcare can only make the medical cures less probable.

My apology for putting this in the entertainment section.
    Although based on the replies it wasn't going to generate interest in the problem, anywhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)